Too young to say
15%
No Comment
No votes

Total votes : 61

Re: Is Nola a Legit Ace?

Postby phatj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 pm

And... I'm dumb. Ignore the two above posts
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm

I think you arrived at your original figure by adding Pedro’s walks plus hits plus HBP allowed and subtracting it from his K total, which leaves you with plus 32.

This seems to me to be a sounder methodology that figuring it by IP times 3 (I.e., outs recorded) minus batters faced to arrive at base runners allowed... but I am unsure as to why.

As I think about it, I turn to the old strikeout wild pitch, which is considered a strikeout of course, but is not considered a time on base, and it isn’t an out either. So there might be some discrepancy from that, but actually that doesn’t make sense because, since I assume the number of strikeouts is fixed for both methodologies, what must change is what you are subtracting. Somehow, walks plus hits plus HBP winds up being more baserunners than batters faced minus outs recorded would suggest.

Does he not get credit for a batter faced if he finishes a batter someone else started because he was brought in in the middle of the AB? But how often could that have ever happened to Pedro?

Hmmm, a bit of a puzzle.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby phatj » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Wolfgang622 wrote:I think you arrived at your original figure by adding Pedro’s walks plus hits plus HBP allowed and subtracting it from his K total, which leaves you with plus 32.

This seems to me to be a sounder methodology that figuring it by IP times 3 (I.e., outs recorded) minus batters faced to arrive at base runners allowed... but I am unsure as to why.

As I think about it, I turn to the old strikeout wild pitch, which is considered a strikeout of course, but is not considered a time on base, and it isn’t an out either. So there might be some discrepancy from that, but actually that doesn’t make sense because, since I assume the number of strikeouts is fixed for both methodologies, what must change is what you are subtracting. Somehow, walks plus hits plus HBP winds up being more baserunners than batters faced minus outs recorded would suggest.

Does he not get credit for a batter faced if he finishes a batter someone else started because he was brought in in the middle of the AB? But how often could that have ever happened to Pedro?

Hmmm, a bit of a puzzle.

The problem with using BF minus Outs to determine when no baserunner was allowed is that it is possible to allow a baserunner and subsequently record an out without having faced another batter.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby RichmondPhilsFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm

phatj wrote:
Wolfgang622 wrote:I think you arrived at your original figure by adding Pedro’s walks plus hits plus HBP allowed and subtracting it from his K total, which leaves you with plus 32.

Hmmm, a bit of a puzzle.

The problem with using BF minus Outs to determine when no baserunner was allowed is that it is possible to allow a baserunner and subsequently record an out without having faced another batter.

Yup, you'd need to account for GIDPs, Caught Stealings, and any other number of miscellaneous plays like Outfield Assists or unconventional double plays.
RichmondPhilsFan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby WilliamC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

I think it will be down to Scherzer and Nola for Cy Young. DeGrom may be having the best year but they still give W-L stupidly a lot of attention. More than it deserves anyway. Nola and Scherzer could win 20+ with low 2 ERA's.

Scherzer might get the LeBron treatment if it is really close. "Let's give it to someone else."
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby gr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:16 pm

WilliamC wrote:I think it will be down to Scherzer and Nola for Cy Young. DeGrom may be having the best year but they still give W-L stupidly a lot of attention. More than it deserves anyway. Nola and Scherzer could win 20+ with low 2 ERA's.

Scherzer might get the LeBron treatment if it is really close. "Let's give it to someone else."

And if the phils are the only 1 of those 3 teams to make the playoffs
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PTOITWCFTPP » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 am

Phillies tweeted: Last night, @AaronNola027 made his 25th start of 2018. He finished it with a season ERA of 2.236, the lowest ERA through a Phillies pitcher’s first 25 starts of a season since 1964, per @EliasSports.

Amazing. #GeauxPhils
Doug “visor-wearin’, sideline-glarin’, screen pass-callin’, fourth-down ballin’, division-leadin’, running-back feedin’, salt and pepper son of a gun” Pederson.

LII Champs

"This is a normal collar. Move on. Find a new slant."
PTOITWCFTPP
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby nycphils » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:55 am

Not only an ace, but Top 5 in MLB -

Scherzer
DeGrom
Sale
Verlander
Nola

Awesome
nycphils
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby thephan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:51 am

Could you imagine if he were a yankee? He’d have a street named after him in Scranton already.
The time is always right to do what is right. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby wiivile » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:40 am

thephan wrote:Could you imagine if he were a yankee? He’d have a street named after him in Scranton already.

the yankees prob do have their eye on him tbh
wiivile
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby WilliamC » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 am

They can back the #$!&@ off. Middleton isn't going to lose these important battles moving forward.
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby joe table » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:55 pm

He doesnt seem like a guy who would really value nyc over philly. Not a big city/thirsty type I mean
joe table

Postby joboggi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm

no Nola is an illegitimate ace. Of course he is an ace. Why would anyone think otherwise. He can get hurt next week and still be an ace. Well, in that case a former ace.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby phdave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 am

joe table wrote:He doesnt seem like a guy who would really value nyc over philly. Not a big city/thirsty type I mean

I don’t feel like I know enough about who he is to even guess what he would do. I thought Scott Rolen was pretty chill until he started pretending he was a character in an Ayn Rand novel.
The Phillies: People trading People to People.
phdave
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby wiivile » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 am

I found this on Google after searching for this thread; Someone delete this video; highly classified team secrets!!

Then I went down a Youtube rabbit hole. I love watching draft videos of Phillies before they were famous...

He was drafted first by Toronto right, but didn't sign? I wonder what motivates those decisions.
wiivile
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby stevelxa476 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:56 am

Money probably. Toronto drafted him in the 22nd round. Three years later he is a 1st round pick.
Yes son. I'm the best mono-thingy guy there ever was.
stevelxa476
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Uncle Milty » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 am

wiivile wrote:He was drafted first by Toronto right, but didn't sign? I wonder what motivates those decisions.

on attending LSU – “It's been my dream to come to school here, and it's one of the best programs in the nation. Watching my brother for three years made me want to be here even more”

I can't picture many choosing 22 round money over scholarship at a major program.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

Real rap died with the Fat Boys.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby gr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:48 am

Yeah, a friend of mine has a son who just graduated hs and is one of the top arms in CA (profiled in BA etc). He got drafred in a late round and the bonus money was about 25% of what they want, so he's headed to college.
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby wiivile » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am

I guess I'm confusing the animus that was directed toward JD Drew for not signing, with the completely fair decision not to sign as a low round draft pick if you think you can improve by playing a few years in college.

As for Nola, he's got incredible stuff and mound presence, but someone needs to give him a personality. Man, during the Little League game, even the little leaguers gave more thoughtful answers to interview questions than Nola. Is he the most boring person alive? Is this a good thing or a bad thing for a pitcher? I know it's best to be level-headed as a pitcher, but he is sooo flat.

It's a good thing he's an athlete or else he'd probably die single. You can't get any girls with a personality like that :lol:
Last edited by wiivile on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiivile
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby nycphils » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 pm

If he pitches like this I could give a #$!&@ whether or not he has a personality.
nycphils
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!