USMNT: A Soccer Thread

USMNT: A Soccer Thread

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 pm

Going forward, is the biggest goal to get Zelalem to be American?

A lot can change in four years, but it looks like Yedlin, Green, and Brooks will be our top guys. Corona maybe? Throw in Diskerud. Maybe Junior Flores?

Johnson and Bradley will be the trusty vets.

Will Howard be around? Or will Guzan be the guy? Maybe one of the young stars in the making in Steffan or Copper?
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Re: USMNT: A Soccer Thread

Postby smitty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:48 pm

We should grab up some more Germans but better ones than the ones we have.
Teams lie, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad. They do it to get an advantage while they look at the trade market or just because they can

--Will Carroll
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Soren » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:09 am

We need to develop at least two midfield players with technical ability in the next 4 years.
Barry Jive wrote:PSA: it's Redick. like dick you got twice
Soren
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby choco » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:25 am

Jozy's only 24. It'd be great if we can improve at striker, either through his improvement or the emergence of someone better.
choco
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby stevemc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:11 am

I'll be interested to see how Julian Green develops. Fast forward 4 years and I think he's our top player.
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Soren » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am

Save us Johannsson
Barry Jive wrote:PSA: it's Redick. like dick you got twice
Soren

Postby cartersDad26 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 am

Howard will be 39 in 2018 - has he said this was his last? Keepers play till 40. Funny to think Guzan is younger because he looks way older.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:25 am

choco wrote:Jozy's only 24. It'd be great if we can improve at striker, either through his improvement or the emergence of someone better.

This is true.

I neglected to include him.

Hoping guys like Bedoya, Besler, and Zusi can be replaced.
CalvinBall

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:32 am

Some ESPN guy has this-

GK: Guzan; Cropper, S. Johnson

D: Chandler, Besler, Gonzalez, F. Johnson; Klute, Brooks, Palmer-Brown, Cameron

MF: Green, Bradley, Yedlin, Diskerud; Gil, Zelalem, Zusi, D. Williams

F: Altidore, Johannsson; Boyd; Aguedelo

He freely admits it is impossible to predict 4 years in the future. Hey, something to talk about though.
CalvinBall

Postby RichmondPhilsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:54 am

I'd forgotten that Altidore is only 24 (25 in November). Seems like he's been around forever already. I guess that's what happens when you make the Confederations Cup team when you're 19. Plus the 2008 Olympic team.

Speaking of that, maybe with all of this young talent (Green, Johannson, Yedlin, Brooks, Cropper), we can actually qualify for the 2016 Olympics?

cartersDad26 wrote:Howard will be 39 in 2018 - has he said this was his last? Keepers play till 40. Funny to think Guzan is younger because he looks way older.

I hadn't seen him say anything about 2018 until yesterday. And he only said yesterday that he wasn't ready to even think about that yet... too many emotions.
RichmondPhilsFan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby RichmondPhilsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:04 am

This was in the game thread, but I wanted to bring it here.

smitty wrote:
Polar Bear Phan wrote:
PSUPhilliesPhan wrote:So we'll be better in 2018 right?

Soccer has been the little kid sport for 20+ years now, so it should start to pay off.

Except we've been saying that since the 70s.

I feel like people keep dismissing the growth of soccer in the US this way. But people are kidding themselves if they just think a switch was going to flip at some point and (boom) kids would develop into creative, tactically-sound players. This is something that has to slowly improve over time. And it has... but it just needs to keep getting better.

But even if it's not where we'd like it to be, there's still a huge difference between the youth soccer of the 90s versus today. The primary difference is that they're being coached by people who actually played and understand the sport... it's not just kicking the ball around a field and having your best player(s) playing hero ball anymore. I played through high school, but I still don't think I'm qualified to coach past U-10 anymore.
RichmondPhilsFan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby SideshowBob » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:06 am

One thing I like about Klinsmann is that he has been active in getting dual citizenship folks to join the US squad. This really helps with the potential pool of players.

We have a nice mid-cycle test with the Copa America Centenario in 2016. I think that will provide a lot of clarity as to who is in contention for 2018 WC spots by seeing who can hold up against top competition in a real tournament.
"[In the] effort to protect innocent children, the fair treatment of adults should not become a collateral casualty"

-Dr. Fred Berlin, founder of the Johns Hopkins Sexual Disorders Clinic
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby traderdave » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:28 am

I wish Jermaine Jones wasn't already 32 because he was probably our best player not named Tim Howard.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby stevemc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:43 am

traderdave wrote:I wish Jermaine Jones wasn't already 32 because he was probably our best player not named Tim Howard.

except for yesterday. He was spent and too tired most of that match.

As for the comments on coaching in the US, the country has such a better infrastructure for Academy level teams and their training. The coaching licenses are more strict and tougher to get. Clubs getting Academy status now have to have very high level coaches (i.e. "A" or "B" licensed) that it continues to raise the level of play across the board. We'll see the benefits of this. We're getting there and it should readily apparent over the next decade.
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby RichmondPhilsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:51 am

stevemc wrote:
As for the comments on coaching in the US, the country has such a better infrastructure for Academy level teams and their training. The coaching licenses are more strict and tougher to get. Clubs getting Academy status now have to have very high level coaches (i.e. "A" or "B" licensed) that it continues to raise the level of play across the board. We'll see the benefits of this. We're getting there and it should readily apparent over the next decade.

Agreed, but it's not just at that level though. My three year old is involved in the Little Kicks program at her preschool run by the Richmond Kickers (USL Pro--linked with DC United). It's only one day per week at her age, but her coach is one of the pro players. He's also Welsh-born and is the leading scorer in franchise history--we went to a Kickers game a couple of months ago and she got to see her coach score a goal. That's just mind-blowing to me. My pee-wee soccer coach when I was around her age was just some kid's dad who maybe played soccer when he was a kid.

And consequently she's so enthusiastic about soccer that she actually cried for ten minutes after the US lost yesterday and I told her "their season" was over. She's already excited for the Women's World Cup next summer.
RichmondPhilsFan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby cartersDad26 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:12 am

good stuff.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby stevemc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 am

That's great! It is infectious. The travel soccer ranks that feed the academy programs are constantly evolving and improving. It's just tough with how spread out our country is to identify talent and cultivate it. The infrastructure of USYS as well as our ODP programs are certainly helping to foster the ID'ing process. It continues to improve and with the # of kids we have involved in soccer combined with more watchful eyes on the national level, we'll make great strides. The fact that US Soccer is pushing for Academy level teams to be fully funded by clubs is another huge step. It won't just be a rich kids game then.
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby RichmondPhilsFan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:26 am

RichmondPhilsFan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:36 am

I don't know. The whole 20 years thing is a bit much, but we did go 1-1-2 in the tournament. It isn't like we were amazing or even that good by any stretch.
CalvinBall

Postby Bill McNeal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am

A lot of folks on here are a lot more knowledgable than I on this subject, but one thing that I think will bode well for the growth of US Soccer is the decline of youth football. Everywhere I've lived, soccer and football are fall sports, so kids have to choose between playing soccer or football in the fall and baseball and lacrosse in the spring. With the rise in concern of head injuries in football, parents are beginning to question involving their kids in the sport, it obviously won't go away, but the popularity will diminish to some degree and some of those kids wanting to play a sport will turn to soccer to fill that gap. I know a ton of kids play youth soccer now and I'd bet a significant number stop playing soccer around the time they hit pop warner age. Personally, I'd have a tough time letting my kid play football at this point, I had concussions growing up as well as broken bones, one of which still bothers me, playing football. I'd rather see him play soccer, there's still danger obviously, but if say no more than basketball or baseball. It will be interesting to see if we improve the talent pool over the next decade as the concussion lawsuits come down and the football world reacts.
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Next

Return to Back She Goes!