Super Bowl MVP QB Nick Foles

Re: Super Bowl MVP QB Nick Foles

Postby traderdave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Of the teams needing QB help (I guess primarily MIA, JAX, DEN and WAS), which, do you think, is the best fit for Foles?
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Bill McNeal » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

I’d bet money on him going to Jax now that flip is there as the oc
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MoBettle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:11 pm

thephan wrote:
bleh wrote:What does he mean by it being a mistake?

Scenario 3: Eagles pick up Foles’ option, he doesn’t void it with the $2M payback and they trade him

In this scenario, Foles’ $20 million contract for 2019 would become guaranteed on the third day of the league year (March 15).

Banner: This is certainly possible. It requires a team that’s willing to trade something of substance. It would have to be higher than the comp pick they’d get, which is likely to be at the end of the third round. And a team that is willing to give something up for somebody that is going to make $20 million for one year. Now you may say, “Well, the new team will want to negotiate an extension.” If that’s the case, Foles is better off paying the $2 million and being free to negotiate that. So although this is a possible scenario, I consider it relatively unlikely.

Kapadia: What would be the motivation for Foles to go this route? Just not having to pay back the $2 million? Is there any other motivation?

Banner: Not really. See, I view that the agent made a mistake here. If he was going to give the Eagles an option, which I don’t really understand why he did or would do, I understand he got some extra money, but it wasn’t a ton and most of it was contingent. What he should have done was force the Eagles, if they exercise the option, for the money to become guaranteed. As you know, it could become guaranteed at a later date, but it doesn’t become guaranteed when they exercise it. So that makes your question very relevant. Why would Foles leave himself in that position? And the answer is to potentially save the $2 million. But frankly, the $2 million is going to be so irrelevant in the contract that he’s going to get from somebody that I can’t imagine him allowing the Eagles to still continue to control his rights in some way.

BTW, theathletic.com is great and you should subscribe to read great stuff like this regularly.

Banner also noted that the Eagles would lose any comp pick in the situation where they exercised Foles' option then cut him (As opposed to a likely 3rd round comp pick if they declined the option or Foles opted out). I hadn't really considered that but it makes sense. Would be a pretty big screwup if that happened.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby rolex » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm

No worry, Howie has this thing covered. :-D
rolex
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Luzinski's Gut » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm

I think he's going to Jacksonville or Arizona.
"Of all of Ruben's gifts, the ability to simultaneously punch 4 million people in the dick is probably his most impressive." Endless Summer
Luzinski's Gut
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby thephan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Phred wrote:thephan is Shiel Kapadia!

My existence would be so much more fun. Besides
peoples on the board have also seem me. :(
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm

See, MoBettle, that guy gets it.
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PTOITWCFTPP » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 pm

That’s not Sheil. He didn’t call non subscribers “losers”
“I don’t coach losers, I only coach winners.” Mike Krzyzewski

"This is a normal collar. Move on. Find a new slant."
PTOITWCFTPP
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby thephan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 am

PTOITWCFTPP wrote:That’s not Sheil. He didn’t call non subscribers “losers”

(Some of) You guys seem pretty self realize, so it doesn’t really need to be said, right. :-D
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am

I’d say that BDN would be good anywhere but Raider ( I don’t think you do well with crazy), or Washington/Giants (loser mindsets).
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:37 am

In a QB driven league, he’s still the last guy to throw a TD in the Super Bowl.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby SwingOnThis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 pm

ek wrote:
gr wrote:
Eem wrote:Flip to Jacksonville as OC... that becomes as obvious a Foles spot as any

A fitting pre-retirement stop, catch some rays, see some waves, set up a hoagie shop.

hangout with ek

Fail multiple drug tests :shock:
SwingOnThis
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby ek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:15 pm

lol
ek
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:36 pm

MoBettle wrote:
thephan wrote:
bleh wrote:What does he mean by it being a mistake?

Scenario 3: Eagles pick up Foles’ option, he doesn’t void it with the $2M payback and they trade him

In this scenario, Foles’ $20 million contract for 2019 would become guaranteed on the third day of the league year (March 15).

Banner: This is certainly possible. It requires a team that’s willing to trade something of substance. It would have to be higher than the comp pick they’d get, which is likely to be at the end of the third round. And a team that is willing to give something up for somebody that is going to make $20 million for one year. Now you may say, “Well, the new team will want to negotiate an extension.” If that’s the case, Foles is better off paying the $2 million and being free to negotiate that. So although this is a possible scenario, I consider it relatively unlikely.

Kapadia: What would be the motivation for Foles to go this route? Just not having to pay back the $2 million? Is there any other motivation?

Banner: Not really. See, I view that the agent made a mistake here. If he was going to give the Eagles an option, which I don’t really understand why he did or would do, I understand he got some extra money, but it wasn’t a ton and most of it was contingent. What he should have done was force the Eagles, if they exercise the option, for the money to become guaranteed. As you know, it could become guaranteed at a later date, but it doesn’t become guaranteed when they exercise it. So that makes your question very relevant. Why would Foles leave himself in that position? And the answer is to potentially save the $2 million. But frankly, the $2 million is going to be so irrelevant in the contract that he’s going to get from somebody that I can’t imagine him allowing the Eagles to still continue to control his rights in some way.

BTW, theathletic.com is great and you should subscribe to read great stuff like this regularly.

Banner also noted that the Eagles would lose any comp pick in the situation where they exercised Foles' option then cut him (As opposed to a likely 3rd round comp pick if they declined the option or Foles opted out). I hadn't really considered that but it makes sense. Would be a pretty big screwup if that happened.

Reading all this, if that agent is smart and values his business reputation, if it is at all within his means, he will by hook or by crook reimburse Foles for the $2M out of whatever fee he would get for Foles’ Payday. That is, if Foles even uses the guy again.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby joe table » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm

How the Foles agent not get the Eagles to agree (contractually) not to apply the tag if he declines his side of the option

Maybe it was negotiated, the eagles resisted and Foles agreed. Who knows. Seems bad now though
joe table

Postby bleh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:21 pm

I think the thing that's forgotten is Foles had no leverage for the deal he signed last year. The Eagles could've kept him on the previous deal and still franchised him and traded him now, only he would've made less money last season. The deal was just "here's free money for winning the super bowl".
bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joe table » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Idk. He had enough leverage that the team was willing to redo his deal. But yeah I guess if he was on his old deal, his contract would have voided this month and presumably they still could of tagged him
joe table

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 pm

bleh wrote:I think the thing that's forgotten is Foles had no leverage for the deal he signed last year. The Eagles could've kept him on the previous deal and still franchised him and traded him now, only he would've made less money last season. The deal was just "here's free money for winning the super bowl".

If it was for something it wasn't free.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby joboggi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:40 am

CBA already says you have to act in good faith if you franchise tag someone.

This is a good thing.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joe table » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:59 am

Gimpy wrote:In a QB driven league, he’s still the last guy to throw a TD in the Super Bowl.

Love this
joe table

Previous

Return to Back She Goes!