DOOP? More like DOOM. Union & MLS Thread

DOOP? More like DOOM. Union & MLS Thread

Postby cartersDad26 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:17 pm

Hearing significant amount of allocation money and 6th pick of @MLS #SuperDraft from Houston for Maidana and Wenger in Philly. #MLSOffseason

Twellman.
I would hate to lose Maidana - Wenger I would drive to the airport.
Chris Pontius is officially a Union player.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: DOOP? More like DOOM. Union & MLS Thread

Postby SideshowBob » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:24 pm

I almost wonder (if that is actually the deal) whether taking Wenger and his salary is a big part of the price that Houston has to pay to get Maidana. I think Union view Barnetta as Maidana's replacement making Maidana a luxury (I don't agree with the assessment, but I believe that's the thought process).

Having two high draft picks would enable Union to get two Generation Adidas players, which can be beneficial in terms of cap space.

I don't get the Pontius trade. Couldn't they have gotten him in one of the re-entry drafts when DC United inevitably would have cut him?
"[In the] effort to protect innocent children, the fair treatment of adults should not become a collateral casualty"

-Dr. Fred Berlin, founder of the Johns Hopkins Sexual Disorders Clinic
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby cartersDad26 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Seems official per the twitters
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby cartersDad26 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:03 pm

They are dumping salary left and right...maybe, hopefully a big signing is coming in? Plz!
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:25 pm

lol good luck!

but seriously, i kept hearing bedoya was a guy they wanted, maybe that is still something they are after.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby SideshowBob » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 pm

A number of other players were released/had options declined/moved on to other teams: Zac MacMath, Danny Cruz, Fred, Warren Creavalle, Antoine Hoppenot, Austin Berry, Brian Carroll and Conor Casey. Here's the current roster:

Goalkeepers: Andre Blake, John McCarthy
Defenders: Ray Gaddis, Maurice Edu, Richie Marquez, Fabinho
Midfielders: Brian Carroll, Michael Lahoud, Vincent Nogueira, Tranquillo Barnetta, Sebastien Le Toux, Chris Pontius, Zach Pfeffer, Leo Fernandes, Jimmy McLaughlin, Erik Ayuk
Forwards: CJ Sapong, Fernando Aristeguieta, Dzenan Catic

Union said they are interested in bringing back Carroll (why oh why?). The Cosmos want to keep Fernandes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him sold to them.
"[In the] effort to protect innocent children, the fair treatment of adults should not become a collateral casualty"

SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby ReadingPhilly » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:17 pm

I've never heard of a homegrown claim, but the Union was denied one on Georgetown defender Keegan Rosenberry.
ReadingPhilly
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby iladelph53 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:11 pm

Brian Carroll is gone?!?!!! Ding dong the witch is dead!! Yay!
Stark: "A few years ago I asked a member of the Phillies front office what he thought the most revealing stat was. His answer was RBIs."
iladelph53
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby iladelph53 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Oh, he's not? ffs
Stark: "A few years ago I asked a member of the Phillies front office what he thought the most revealing stat was. His answer was RBIs."
iladelph53
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby cartersDad26 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Carroll is expected back in something like a Fred role - player/coach and they mentioned getting him involved at Bethlehem. Maybe he's being groomed to become a coach there or here. Just as long as he doesn't get the minutes he had last year.
So Creavelle was traded for a 2nd round pick and then let go which tells you all you need to know about MLS draft picks.
We traded Williams, our most tenured player to Houston for allocation moneys.
We loaned MacMath out for the year and then let him go for nothing.

This roster is total #$!&@.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby traderdave » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Agreed. The only guys to get even a little excited about, IMHO, are Blake and Sapong (and maybe Barnetta but we haven't seen enough of him just yet to know for sure). A few other guys have shown flashes (i.e. Pfeffer, Aristeguieta, Ayuk) but are very inconsistent. Adding somebody like Bedoya would certainly turn up the excitement level for 2016. Maybe Choco became expendable because the Union have Bedoya and Nantes on the hook again? Who the hell knows with this group.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby SideshowBob » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Union traded Ethan White to NYCFC in exchange for a 4th round draft pick in the 2017 Superdraft. Yes, a 4th round pick. That's basically equivalent to releasing him. Even a tiny bit of allocation money would have been more valuable.

Also, Dzenan Catic was apparently released.

SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby cartersDad26 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:42 pm

SideshowBob wrote:Union traded Ethan White to NYCFC in exchange for a 4th round draft pick in the 2017 Superdraft. Yes, a 4th round pick. That's basically equivalent to releasing him. Even a tiny bit of allocation money would have been more valuable.

Also, Dzenan Catic was apparently released.

yeah a 4th round pick 1000% worthless. Prime example - Catic was I think a 2nd round pick last year, never played for us and was loaned to Carolina for the emergency goalie Sylvestre.
Reading that White made $125K which in MLS is decent coin. We are still just dumping salary left and right. Hope something big gets splashed on.
Also MLS handed out a bunch of allocation money to every team.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:07 pm

cartersDad26 wrote:Also MLS handed out a bunch of allocation money to every team.

link

Major League Soccer announced on Wednesday that it will be investing an additional $37 million in player compensation over the next two years with the goal of “providing clubs the opportunity to sign more impact players in the middle of the roster and add young Homegrown talent,” according to a league statement.

The additional funds, which supplement the current $3.6 million salary budget per team in 2016, come in two forms: $800,000 of Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in both 2016 and 2017 and $125,000 in extra Homegrown Player funds for each of the next two years.
Flanders feeds me people food.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby cartersDad26 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:54 pm

MacMath traded to Colorado for another worthless 2nd round pick. (he had been on loan with them all year and barely played).
Blake is officially our man. Hopefully they work out keeping Sylvestre as backup.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby 702 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Picked up a Steel FC shirt. That logo is too nice to pass up.
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby SideshowBob » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Scottish international Forward James McFadden has been linked to Union. He signed a short term deal with Motherwell which would fit in with signing with Union in the new year for the 2016 MLS season.

SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby cartersDad26 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:50 am

He had trialed with the Union in October and I thought the reports were we wasn't any good. Has good pedigree but i wonder if he's an upgrade over Casey.
cartersDad26
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby SideshowBob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:11 pm

A new report surfaced linking Union to Turkish striker Colin Kazim-Richards (currently playing for Feyenoord). Don't think I'm that thrilled with this option -- I'd rather see us retain Aristeguieta who has more upside IMHO. Don't like the way that Kazim-Richards has bounced around from team to team.

SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby BigEd76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:12 pm

In a bombshell report laid out in a series of tweets by Philly.com’s Jonathan Tannenwald on Tuesday night, it was revealed that former Union manager Peter Nowak participated in ugly forms of hazing, chastised players with concussions, clashed with the team’s head trainer over player safety, and violated terms of his contract and the MLS Collective Bargaining Agreement before being fired in June 2012.

These revelations, some of which have long been rumored, came to light because Nowak sued the Union for wrongful termination, which was sent to arbitration. Nowak lost the case earlier this year and Tannenwald, who’s been closely monitoring the saga from the beginning, obtained 200 pages of documents from the lawsuit Tuesday.

In those documents, the Union asserted that Nowak was fired in part because of an investigation by Major League Soccer into his mistreatment of players. MLS advised Union CEO Nick Sakiewicz to terminate Nowak’s contract more than three years before it would have expired.

Sakiewicz, who himself was fired near the end of the 2015 season, said in testimony that the “health and welfare of players” was his primary reason for Nowak’s dismissal. At the time of the firing, Sakiewicz was more vague about his reasoning, pointing to “philosophical differences” between the Union ownership and Nowak.

Just seven months before the 2012 coaching change, Nowak — the club's first-ever manager — had guided the Union to their only playoff berth. But the volatile Polish coach quickly and controversially dismantled the core of the team and the Union struggled mightily on the field in the first few months of the 2012 campaign.

Off the field, it looks like things were even worse.

In perhaps the most damaging piece of evidence against him, Nowak admitted to dipping his hands in ice water and paddling players — although he claimed Sakiewicz was aware of the ritual and did nothing to stop it.

Nowak also forced players, even injured ones, to go on a 10-to 12-mile run on a hot day without water over the objections of head trainer Paul Rushing. Nowak’s attorneys, though, insisted that players had access to water after the run and no one suffered from dehydration or any other related sickness.

Further, MLS players' union head Bob Foose testified that Union players complained Nowak thought concussions were “not real,” leading to “denigration of players” who said they felt any concussion symptoms. Nowak’s side asserted he never played any player with a concussion.

The arbiter wasn’t convinced by Nowak’s defense — the former coach not only lost the arbitration but was also ordered to pay nearly half a million dollars for the team’s legal fees.

According to Tannenwald, Nowak has since filed for the arbiter’s ruling to be vacated, so the case is not yet closed.

“With respect to the legal process, as the case is still ongoing, there’s only so much that can be said,” Union spokesman Chris Winkler told CSNPhilly.com in a statement. “However, it is important to note these reports are from the past and that the organization made the necessary actions to correct any issues. Behind having the right people in place, we’re concentrating on having a successful 2016 season.”

On top of his mistreatment of players — and trying to out those who took their grievances to the players’ union — Nowak also violated the league’s collective players agreement by playing unsigned players in ticketed friendlies.

Nowak also sought other employment opportunities while with the Union, including the U.S. national team head coaching job as well as positions in Europe. Longtime player and current broadcaster Shep Messing testified that Nowak asked him for help in this regard, saying that Nowak told him, “I have to get the hell out of Philadelphia. These guys are stupid.”

In the end, Nowak did get out of Philadelphia — although many Union fans are undoubtedly wishing he never came here to begin with.
BigEd76

Next

Return to Back She Goes!