5%
Cavs in 6
5%
Cavs in 7
24%

Total votes : 41

Re: Warriors vs Cavaliers NBA FINALS: Part Trois

Postby MoBettle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 am

Thompson played very well in game 4. They need his rebounding to provide a dimension that the warriors can't match when they go small. You beat the warriors by not allowing them to play the Draymond at center lineup. Embiid has the potential to rip them apart.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Brantt » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:28 am

MoBettle wrote:Thompson played very well in game 4. They need his rebounding to provide a dimension that the warriors can't match when they go small. You beat the warriors by not allowing them to play the Draymond at center lineup. Embiid has the potential to rip them apart.

Interesting discussion on Sirius this morning about that exact thing.

Host was saying the way to beat the Warriors is with a dominate big man who can score. Actually mentioned Embiid as probably the best in the NBA which was cool.
"I don't think we're too far apart, Tom Brady and myself." - Matt McGloin
Brantt
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby MoBettle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:34 am

Thompson and Kyrie (and shumpert) are also the only guys in their rotation that will be under 29 on opening night next year. They need to keep both of them to extend lebron's runway as long as possible.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 am

PSUsarge wrote:
Gimpy wrote:If I were Durant, I would have made the same decision last summer. I'd hate living in OKC, playing for a cheap owner, wearing an ugly ass uniform, and playing with Russ. The bay area is awesome and he's playing fun, winning basketball. People want to kill players for not winning and then they want to kill a guy for sacrificing to fit into a good team and win championships.

I would buy into this concept a lot more if the team he left hadn't just gone 7 games in the WCF against the same team he left for. It's not like he was in Boogie's position in Sacramento or something. It would be like LeBron joining the Lakers when he left Cleveland except if Kobe was still in his younger prime.

Who cares though? KD played his ass off in that series; it's not like he quit on his team early. He was never going to win a title there with Westbrook being Westbrook.

What loyalty does he owe to OKC? He wasn't drafted by that city and the franchise broke up his team when the core was ~23 years old and coming off of a finals appearance because it didn't want to pay those guys.

And he went to the best team in the league, sure, but it's not like he went there to sit on the bench and watch those guys win him a ring. He dominated for them and was the Finals MVP. Does Golden State win that series without Durant? There's a case to be made that they wouldn't.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PSUsarge » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:58 am

Gimpy wrote:Who cares though? KD played his ass off in that series; it's not like he quit on his team early. He was never going to win a title there with Westbrook being Westbrook.

He went to the Finals once and the 73-9 Warriors on the ropes in the WCF with Westbrook. Not really sure we can definitively say they would never win a title together.

Gimpy wrote:What loyalty does he owe to OKC? He wasn't drafted by that city and the franchise broke up his team when the core was ~23 years old and coming off of a finals appearance because it didn't want to pay those guys.

Zero. OKC of all places doesn't deserve loyalty given how their franchise came into existence. My point is he left a team that was a contender for a team that was already one of two favorites by a decent margin. As a basketball fan, that sucks.

Gimpy wrote:And he went to the best team in the league, sure, but it's not like he went there to sit on the bench and watch those guys win him a ring. He dominated for them and was the Finals MVP.

KD is a great player, but I feel like the love he's getting is a little bit without context considering he shares the court with one of the other top 3 players in the NBA. He played great and obviously earned the ring, but let's ease up on the use of "dominated."

Gimpy wrote:Does Golden State win that series without Durant? There's a case to be made that they wouldn't.

Considering GS set the regular season wins record last year and lost in the Finals, yes, there is a case to be made they wouldn't, but let's not act like KD was the missing piece to put them over the top. They won two years ago and were up 3-1 last year. This was already a borderline dynasty team.
PSUsarge
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby PSUsarge » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:05 am

MoBettle wrote:
philliesphhan wrote: The problem is the media making every player who doesn't win a championship out to be some idiot loser.

100%

And even worse, some of the people in the media that boil the Lebron v MJ argument down to 6-0 v. 3-5 are the same people that kill Durant for going to Golden State.

This is especially interesting because it feels like guys from the MJ era who never won (Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Reggie Miller, etc.) don't seem to be (primarily) remembered as "but they never won a ring!"

Like if Curry hadn't won one and if Russ and Harden don't win one, I don't see much impact to their respective legacies. I guess some people knock Wilt for not winning as much as Russell, but does Oscar Robertson or someone like that?
PSUsarge
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Gimpy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm

PSUsarge wrote:
Gimpy wrote:Who cares though? KD played his ass off in that series; it's not like he quit on his team early. He was never going to win a title there with Westbrook being Westbrook.

He went to the Finals once and the 73-9 Warriors on the ropes in the WCF with Westbrook. Not really sure we can definitively say they would never win a title together.

Gimpy wrote:What loyalty does he owe to OKC? He wasn't drafted by that city and the franchise broke up his team when the core was ~23 years old and coming off of a finals appearance because it didn't want to pay those guys.

Zero. OKC of all places doesn't deserve loyalty given how their franchise came into existence. My point is he left a team that was a contender for a team that was already one of two favorites by a decent margin. As a basketball fan, that sucks.

Gimpy wrote:And he went to the best team in the league, sure, but it's not like he went there to sit on the bench and watch those guys win him a ring. He dominated for them and was the Finals MVP.

KD is a great player, but I feel like the love he's getting is a little bit without context considering he shares the court with one of the other top 3 players in the NBA. He played great and obviously earned the ring, but let's ease up on the use of "dominated."

Gimpy wrote:Does Golden State win that series without Durant? There's a case to be made that they wouldn't.

Considering GS set the regular season wins record last year and lost in the Finals, yes, there is a case to be made they wouldn't, but let's not act like KD was the missing piece to put them over the top. They won two years ago and were up 3-1 last year. This was already a borderline dynasty team.

He went to the finals once, yes, and that team was immediately broken up with Harden getting shipped out. Westbrook's a great player and all, but I don't believe he was a good complement to Durant (which is kind of nuts since Durant won MVP while playing with Westbrook) with his usage and hero ball tendencies. At the end of the day, I don't think he really plays winning basketball or makes his teammates better.

Maybe I'm a hater, but I never really bought OKC as a contender. I thought Brooks put a ceiling on that team and I'm not crazy about their prospects of getting all the way there with Westbrook dominating the ball. I also think that by winning it all this year, fitting in great with the Warriors, and being the best player on the league champions proves that Durant made the right call last year.

I can't say Durant dominated those finals? He averaged 35.2/8.4/5.4 with more than 2.5 combined steals and blocks on .556/.474/.923 shooting.

Let's say hypothetically Durant decided he wanted to leave OKC, where should he have gone that would have made everyone else happy?

If he left to win, he accomplished that and he was the centerpiece and Finals MVP on the team that won it all.

For us as fans, his decision only matters to the extent of how much fun we're going to have watching the games and how we can talk about these guys' legacies. But this is also a young guy's life we're talking about. Maybe there are more factors other than his legacy and team success for him. If he left because he just wanted to live in another city, hang out in the bay area, and work with some guys that he gets along with, then he did that too.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Previous

Return to Back She Goes!