2017 Draft: Phillies picks, bios, signings, etc.

Re: 2017 Draft: Phillies picks, bios, signings, etc.

Postby PSUPhilliesPhan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 am

CFP wrote:
curveball wrote:Well...Who's going to rate this draft? I don't have enough knowledge to do it myself but I'd like to see some opinions on this draft.

There's no reason to rate this, or any draft immediately after the fact. You wait 5 or 6 years and see what came out of it.

Obviously! This could be said for almost anything written on this board...politics, amateur sports, pro sports and life in general. Again, this is an internet message board that's for fun and entertainment. Stuff happens and people react with their opinions. Some of us fans are more versed on certain topics than others. I enjoy reading the opinions of pacino or JH in the politics thread, Brantt in the PSU thread and you in the Flyers threads.

This is a fan made internet message board. To tell someone you have to wait 5 or 6 years to see the outcome is absurd. People that follow this or any draft can have an immediate opinion and rate it as they please.
PSUPhilliesPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby ReadingPhilly » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:30 am

I enjoy the discussion, but to say it completely bombed is laughable.
ReadingPhilly
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby BigEd76 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:30 am

As expected, #37 Julien (the Canadian kid) is still planning to honor his commitment to Auburn

(translated:) "I dreamed of being drafted since I was a child. I just talked with Phillies recruiter Alex Agostino and he told me I have Quebec pride and he wished me good luck at Auburn."
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Bill McNeal » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:40 am

ReadingPhilly wrote:I enjoy the discussion, but to say it completely bombed is laughable.

Agreed. I don't think you can love or hate the entire draft, there are so many guys out there to be picked that none of us have seen, I can see living at hating certain picks because you've seen the guys tape and have a legit opinion on how you think he's going to project, but even still chances are the phillies have had someone watch him in person multiple times and talk to his coaches, family, teammates and the player himself.

OTOH, I do think you can agree / disagree with the strategy. I don't really know enough to have an opinion on any of this, but I enjoy reading the discussion on it.
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 am

#7 Maton:

Chase_Senior
Hearing that it's likely Nick Maton will sign with Phillies & not go to Mizzou. He's currently in SD watching brother Phil pitch for Padres

#19 Russ:

Wednesday night, Russ has yet to sign his contract since the Phillies were still finishing the draft. He knows part of the plan the Phillies have for him and will figure out the rest Sunday. "I will leave Sunday to play rookie ball in Florida. Now, I am just waiting for specific details and where I am going to be going to."

#20 Schanuel:

Brady Schanuel says he’ll likely follow through with plans to attend the University of Iowa, despite being picked by the Philadelphia Phillies during the Major League Baseball draft Wednesday.

“It’s still a really great experience to see the process and eventually hear my name called. I think I have room for improvement and room to grow. Another year in college, I think, will help me grow for next year and hopefully get my name called a little earlier.”

He called the Phillies’ use of their 20th-round pick “more of a courtesy.”

“We’d been in communication and couldn’t meet on the financial thing. My representative knows more about those details. At this point, I think it was more of a courtesy. It’s what teams do at this point in the draft for players they like.”

#22 Mims:

Mims agreed to terms with the Phillies and will leave Sunday for Philadelphia to sign his contract and undergo a physical. After that, he will head to Florida for rookie camp before learning where he will be assigned for the summer. "I was really content with what they offered."
BigEd76

Postby Phred » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 am

BigEd76 wrote:#7 Maton:

Chase_Senior
Hearing that it's likely Nick Maton will sign with Phillies & not go to Mizzou. He's currently in SD watching brother Phil pitch for Padres

Hopefully, we finally got the right brother.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby CFP » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:31 am

ReadingPhilly wrote:I enjoy the discussion, but to say it completely bombed is laughable.

Yeah I hate to see stuff like "it bombed" or "this sucks" or "I wanted player x so badly," which is some of the stuff I was seeing here Monday and Tuesday.

What PSU wrote on the last page was a logical recap and earnest evaluation of things and I enjoyed it. Not sure why you didn't just write that on Tuesday, it's a lot more reasonable than some of the hysteria that was being espoused like "I hate this" or "this blows" or "the Phillies, always outsmarting themselves by taking guys not on a list put together by Callis and Mayo or BA" or things to that effect.

Just my meaningless take I guess.
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 am

FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby PSUPhilliesPhan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Squire wrote:We still have 4 guys in the College World Series though (Seabold, Guthrie, Fitch and the FSU 1Bman).

I'll never forget when our 1998 33rd round pick, 2B Wes Rachels, led USC to the championship. I remember watching the game and seeing that he was drafted by the Phillies in his first at-bat. He then went 5-7, with a homer and 7 RBI's in USC's 21-14 win over ASU. I thought we had found our second baseman for the next 15 years. He went on to play 4 minor league seasons (only 1 for the Phillies) and NEVER hit a homerun!

Aaron Brown was awesome too a few years ago for Pepperdine. Always fun to have some guys still playing (even if it holds up the signings).
PSUPhilliesPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Squire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm

FWIW, Gelb says that when Haseley signs he's going to Williamsport (not Lakewood or Clearwater).
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby BigEd76 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:50 pm

#27 Gurrola:

Outfielder Yahir Gurrola left the [La Crosse Loggers] Thursday morning after getting taken by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 27th round of the MLB First-Year Player Draft.

#32 Santa Cruz:

He will talk with the Phillies scout Friday, and on Sunday is heading to Clearwater, Florida to officially join the organization.
BigEd76

Postby azrider » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 pm

I don't know who the Arizona area scout is, but the Phillies have assembled a lot of talent from this area. However, I don't know about these two kids from central Arizona. They must possess some real good physical tools or something, cause they're numbers aren't so great. I'm hoping we hear a story about this Santa Cruz kid hitting 100 and probably the backstop too.
azrider
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Squire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Mayo tweets that Phillies have a deal with Jake Holmes, SS (11th Round) for 500k (375k against the pool)
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby BigEd76 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Seabold is pitching right now on ESPN
BigEd76

Postby kruker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Squire wrote:Mayo tweets that Phillies have a deal with Jake Holmes, SS (11th Round) for 500k (375k against the pool)

Nice. Huge signing.
"Everybody's a critic. This wasn't an aesthetic endeavor."
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby ReadingPhilly » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:47 pm

BigEd76 wrote:Seabold is pitching right now on ESPN

Not a bad day against the best team in college baseball. Appreciated the coach taking him out after 5 at 97 pitches.
ReadingPhilly

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:20 pm

ReadingPhilly wrote:
BigEd76 wrote:Seabold is pitching right now on ESPN

Not a bad day against the best team in college baseball. Appreciated the coach taking him out after 5 at 97 pitches.

5-2 when I went to get ready for dinner now tied up. Pretty good movement on Seabold's fastball. Seemed to lose his command a bit when his velocity dipped at the end.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it's an easy way to forget.

Real rap died with the Fat Boys.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm

So far the signed/roumored pile is rather full. If all the college player sign, would that mean they miss 3 or 4? Having 36 guys who suck seems well planned.
The time is always right to do what is right. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm

#8 Mezquita gets $50K ($116K below slot)

#9 Zoellner and #14 Warren have also signed and are on their way to Clearwater
BigEd76

Postby thephan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Do they need to count the value of the 5 free tackle box dinners at the hazelton LJS?
The time is always right to do what is right. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!