THE XFL IS BACK BABBY!1

Re: THE XFL IS BACK BABBY!1

Postby Titlehungry » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 am

You can't have a criminal record not even a DUI according to Vince so no Manziel... guess they are saying this is totally a Vince thing and not under the WWE banner so I guess Roman Reigns won't be at DT
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Titlehungry » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:06 am

Fox needs to get this and make Buck and Aikman commentate
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 am

Bill McNeal wrote:In like the last 5 years wasn’t there an attempt to start a spring league, primarily in the south full of guys who were Big in college but not nfl caliber?

I seem to remember that--Little Rock was one of the cities--it never got off the ground.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby The Dude » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 am

i can definitely see this working, most notably for the reasons above. vince needed a network when he first tried this, and when one wasn't going to back it, he had to get out. now, almost any kind of programming can be profitable, and when you add in the millions of mouthbreathers that suddenly don't like the nfl bc daddy trump told them not to, you're golden. he probably learned that you can't just throw wrestling people into a football league like he did last time, too, and expect it to work.
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:31 am

I don’t think that many football fans are really turned off by the NFL because of anthem protests (at least not enough to sustain an inferior league). That said, the proposed XFL isn’t going to be any type of competition for the NFL and it seems like it won’t be marketed as such. This has a chance of working (working meaning that it might not be a complete disaster).
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby 1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am

Wishing I hadn’t sold all my WWE stock last week
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby azrider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am

no draft, strictly free agents, allow 18 year old eligibility... nfl may give the league it's blessing from a developmental standpoint. now the ncaa on the other hand...
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Wheels Tupay » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:
Bill McNeal wrote:In like the last 5 years wasn’t there an attempt to start a spring league, primarily in the south full of guys who were Big in college but not nfl caliber?

I seem to remember that--Little Rock was one of the cities--it never got off the ground.

I guess they got stuck between a (little) rock and a hard place
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Wolfgang622 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Gimpy wrote:I don’t think that many football fans are really turned off by the NFL because of anthem protests (at least not enough to sustain an inferior league). That said, the proposed XFL isn’t going to be any type of competition for the NFL and it seems like it won’t be marketed as such. This has a chance of working (working meaning that it might not be a complete disaster).

I can’t imagine the XFL will try to market itself as competition for the NFL either. One of the minimum requirements, I would think, for being considered a major sports league - the period from 1995-2015 in the NFL notwithstanding - is having a big stadium to play in in a big market: LA, NYC, Chicago are musts. If you look back at the USFL, one of the reasons they played in the spring, besides avoiding direct NFL competition, was so they could use NFL stadiums in big markets. The Philadelphia Stars played at the Vet, the New Jersey Generals played at Giants Stadium (I have to imagine some politician in NJ made calling the team “New Jersey” a condition of that lease, instead of calling it NY like the Giants and Jets), the LA Express played at the the LA Coliseum, the Chicago Blitz played at Soldier Field, etc. (Astrodome, Three Rivers, RFK, and the Superdome, were all used by the USFL)

The NFL never said so outright - I doubt they’d ever admit it out loud - but part of the 90s stadium construction boom for them was about moving into team-owned, rather than city-owned facilities, to prevent a USFL type league from punking them again by being able to use NFL facilities for their league, which the USFL was on a track to do before they started listening to Trump.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Bill McNeal » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 am

Fwiw after a quick search, the linc, Heinz field, first energy stadium (Cleveland), soldier field and ford field are owned by their respective local municipalities. Met life stadium, FedExField and Jerry world are privately owned.
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:49 am

i don't think lurie would have any problem taking their rent money
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wolfgang622 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Bill McNeal wrote:Fwiw after a quick search, the linc, Heinz field, first energy stadium (Cleveland), soldier field and ford field are owned by their respective local municipalities. Met life stadium, FedExField and Jerry world are privately owned.

Huh. My bad. All of those places certainly feel more team-owned than what they replaced, I guess because they are all dedicated facilities. I wonder if it is in the agreement with the cities that the facilities will not be rented to other football teams? I have to say the stadium racket is even worse than I expected, in a sense, because I know all these teams, despite not owning the stadiums, collect every dollar of stadium “naming rights.”
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Bucky » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am

Well in practicality the linc *is* team-owned. The ground is 'owned' by the city on a long-term lease to the eagles. The city also actually technically "owns" part of the improvements of the land (i.e. the stadium; something like one level or something odd)- that was a requirement for the state funding. But it's wholly operated by the Eagles. The control the leases and get the revenue when a concert or Temple or something else want to use the facility. So the city would have no say in the matter if an XFL team wanted to play in the Linc- it's totally up to the Eagles.

Pretty much the same arrangement for CBP too.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wolfgang622 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 am

Ok, so my point sort of stands: the arrangement at these modern facilities is fundamentally different than what existed in the 80s. In the 80s, if a new football league (the USFL) started up, and had a team in Philadelphia, the city could rent the Vet to the Philadelphia Stars. Chicago could rent Soldier Field to the Chicago Blitz, the N.J. stadium authority or whatever could rent Giants Stadium to the New Jersey Generals, etc.

Wouldn’t happen today.

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Napalm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:09 am

oh babby.. we got a rivalry

Charlie Ebersol, who directed a documentary on the XFL that aired last year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, announced Tuesday that his league, the Alliance of American Football, plans to debut Feb. 9, 2019, the week after Super Bowl LIII. The season will run 10 weeks and will have 50-man teams.

Ebersol's father, Dick Ebersol, was McMahon's partner in the original XFL and is a longtime television executive.

To help him steer the league, Ebersol brought on former NFL general manager Bill Polian, currently an analyst for ESPN. The player side will be overseen by former Pro Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, while the team side will be guided by former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay.

Advisers to the league also will include former NFL players Hines Ward and Justin Tuck, as well as Dick Ebersol.

While McMahon's league is backed by McMahon's money, Ebersol's league is backed by others, including former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, Peter Thiel's Founders Fund and The Chernin Group, which, among other investments, owns a significant share of Barstool Sports.

Unlike McMahon, whose announcement came without a media plan, Charlie Ebersol said that his league, made up of players who didn't make the cut for the NFL, will have the initial contest and the championship game on CBS and one game a week on CBS Sports Network. Other games will be available on the league's app, which Ebersol said promises to integrate live fantasy play into the broadcasts.

The eight teams in cities that will be announced in the next three months will start by having regional drafts, protecting eligible players who played in the local community for their college days.

Along with good football and names the local market knows, Ebersol said a hallmark of the league will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, as well as an innovative approach to broadcasting.

There also will be no kickoffs (the ball will be placed automatically at the 25-yard line) and no onside kicks. The losing team will just start on their own 35-yard-line with fourth-and-10. Play clocks are 30 seconds and every touchdown has to be followed by a two-point conversion attempt.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2284 ... all-league
Napalm

Postby pacino » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 am

all we need is an ECW underdog contender
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am

Napalm wrote:
There also will be no kickoffs (the ball will be placed automatically at the 25-yard line) and no onside kicks. The losing team will just start on their own 35-yard-line with fourth-and-10. Play clocks are 30 seconds and every touchdown has to be followed by a two-point conversion attempt.

I'd be curious as to what the percentages are as to what is better
successfully recovering an onside kick or getting a 1st down on 4th and 10 know that there is better field position with an onside kick
FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby heyeaglefn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am

Spurrier is coaching the Orlando Team in the AAF.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Wheels Tupay » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:18 am

"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay

Postby Wolfgang622 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:19 am

The Crimson Cyclone wrote:
Napalm wrote:

I'd be curious as to what the percentages are as to what is better
successfully recovering an onside kick or getting a 1st down on 4th and 10 know that there is better field position with an onside kick

How is the field position better? You have to kick the ball 10 yards from your own 35 before you can touch it, but it’s impractical to try to make the onside attempt to go too much further than that. On 4th and 10 from your own 35 you would also need to go a minimum of 10 yards.

Seems kind of dumb to me - not sure how you justify suddenly changing the rules just because one team is losing and simply grant them possession of the ball, no matter what the disadvantage. Also gaining 10 yards on one set play seems much more likely than recovering an onside when everyone knows it is coming.

It would be slightly better if any team at any time could elect to try for a first down from their own 35 after a score, losing or not. I assume this would be the case, even though the above says otherwise. Still strikes me as weighted toward the offense however. Maybe if you had start at your own 25, instead of 35, or had to go 15 yards instead of 10.

-swish
Wolfgang622

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!