[1] year since we missed the playoffs:Union & MLS 2019

Re: Accam,I Saw,I Qualified for the playoffs: Union & MLS 20

Postby ReadingPhilly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am

Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has completed the signing of Brazilian forward Sergio Santos using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Santos joins Philadelphia from Chilean Primera Division club Audax Italiano in exchange for an undisclosed transfer fee. He will be added to the Union’s active roster following receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P1 Visa and will occupy an international roster slot.
ReadingPhilly
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby traderdave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Philadelphia Union announced today that they have acquired up to $400,000 in Allocation Money from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Keegan Rosenberry. In 2019, the Union will receive $150,000 in General Allocation Money and $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money, with an additional $100,000 in General Allocation Money sent to Philadelphia in 2020.

Additionally, the Union will receive an additional $100,000 in General Allocation Money in 2020 if Rosenberry meets certain performance metrics in 2019.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby cartersDad26 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:14 pm

joke franchise
cartersDad26
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby traderdave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:24 pm

I want to see what the other moves are first but, yeah, I'm not sure I get it. I guess they are creating a steady role for Matt Real? Or Mbaizo?
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:29 pm

mls is going to a bracket style, single elimination playoff.
ReadingPhilly

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:29 pm

mls is going to a bracket style, single elimination playoff.
ReadingPhilly

Postby swishnicholson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm

ReadingPhilly wrote:mls is going to a bracket style, single elimination playoff.

I wonder which post will make it to the second round!
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby cartersDad26 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:16 am

14 teams will make the playoffs out of 24...1st place gets a bye. Supposed to make regular season more meaningful....ok, so maybe just let the top 2 teams in each league make the playoffs and do a 2 leg semi and then a final on a neutral ground? such a joke.
cartersDad26

Postby ReadingPhilly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 pm

someone actually made an mls mock draft and i actually clicked on it, so i might as well share. he's 5'7 150 lb defender from creighton fwiw.

13. Philadelphia Union – Akeem Ward (Bio)
Ward went into the MLS Combine as the top fullback, but some others have edged past him, allowing him to slip to a Union team that can use a right back after trading Keegan Rosenberry.
ReadingPhilly

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 pm

Hope so, only because it would make a lot of sense to have to draft someone to replace a guy who was good and you did not need to trade
CalvinBall

Re: [1] year since we missed the playoffs:Union & MLS 2019

Postby cartersDad26 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Union traded all 5 of their draft picks to Cincinnati expansion team for Allocation money. can't make this #$!&@ up. they also re-signed Ray Gaddis, who while a very nice guy is just not very good at soccer. this team is a joke.
cartersDad26

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm

What does allocation money do again?

Also the MLS has way too many teams. There's two new ones every year.
CalvinBall

Postby traderdave » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

I like Gaddis but I really hope he is used in primarily a sub role. As to the trade, I am not so sure I hate it all that much (after hearing the rationale and reading up on other factors). I have linked an ESPN article that I found very informative; a section peripherally and specifically related to the Union is below:

Yet there was very much an end-of-an-era feel to the proceedings in Orlando. The reality is that the combine and the SuperDraft that follows have been steadily eroding in importance. The advent of homegrown players, whereby teams can sign their academy products without exposing them in the draft, has diluted the talent pool. For example, Real Salt Lake has already signed four homegrown players this offseason, two of whom spent time in the college game. As manager Mike Petke put it, "I've had my draft already," even as RSL has the 17th overall pick.

The Union, another team that makes extensive use of its academy, went a step further and traded every last one of their 2019 draft picks to FC Cincinnati in exchange for $150,000 in General Allocation Money, with another $50,000 in GAM headed to the Union if certain incentives are reached.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league ... nnecessary

As to GAM, this is straight from MLS:

General Allocation Money (GAM) is money that is available to a club in addition to its salary budget. Each MLS club receives an annual allotment of GAM. In 2016, that allotment was $150,000.

Clubs also receive additional GAM in the following cases:

Failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs
Transfer of a club’s player to another club outside of MLS
Qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League

Additionally, MLS will also provide all clubs that do not have a third Designated Player an equal amount of GAM from the funds collected by MLS for the purchase of the third DP spots. All teams receive extra amounts of GAM in any year that the league expands, and all teams are compensated if they lose a player in the Expansion Draft. New expansion clubs receive a separate amount of GAM for their inaugural season.

Like Targeted Allocation Money (TAM), GAM can be used to “buy down” a player’s salary cap hit, including buying a salary charge below the Designated Player threshold of $480,625. For example, a team can “buy down” a player earning $500,000 to a budget charge of $300,000 using $200,000 of GAM. GAM and TAM may not be used in combination when signing or re-signing a player, or when buying down the budget charge of a Designated Player.

General Allocation Money can also be applied in the following circumstances:

To sign players new to MLS (that is, a player who did not play in MLS during the previous season).
To re-sign an existing MLS player.
To offset acquisition costs (loan and transfer fees).

In connection with the extension of a player’s contract for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year.
To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Designated Player to a limit of $150,000.
Additionally, a club cannot use GAM to reduce more than 50 percent of a player’s salary cap hit. This restriction does not apply where GAM is being used on a loan or transfer fee. A club may reduce 100 percent of a loan or transfer fee.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby cartersDad26 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

i keep reading that we have this great academy - but do we? what player has actually come through it? i can't think of one.
cartersDad26

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

there are a bunch on the roster listed as homegrown players. trusty is probably the most notable.
CalvinBall

Postby traderdave » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Fontana, Jones, Trusty, MacKenzie, Real and Rosenberry?
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Not Union, but a nice commemoration of a period of Philadelphia soccer I remember fondly:

Al Miller, coach of 1973 Philadelphia Atoms team that won city’s last major pro soccer title, gets lifetime achievement award
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Austin FC formally announced. Will join MLS in 2021
CalvinBall

Postby smitty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm

swishnicholson wrote:Not Union, but a nice commemoration of a period of Philadelphia soccer I remember fondly:

Al Miller, coach of 1973 Philadelphia Atoms team that won city’s last major pro soccer title, gets lifetime achievement award

I remember the Atoms. Good times and great fun. Bloody ell mate.
Teams lie, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad. They do it to get an advantage while they look at the trade market or just because they can

--Will Carroll
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

smitty wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Not Union, but a nice commemoration of a period of Philadelphia soccer I remember fondly:

I remember the Atoms. Good times and great fun. Bloody ell mate.

I remember watching the final at my grandmother's house. Shook my young world that a Philadelphia team could actually win something. andy Provan, Bob Rigby, Bob Smith, Jim Fryatt, George O'neill-definitely good times. Alas burned bright for one year and then subsided.

I didn't note it at the time, but it must have been hella interesting playing soccer on the old Vet surface.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!