First Sports Memory

Re: First Sports Memory

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 am

mine is rather vague, I remember being at the vet at around age 6, I got a small souvenir bat and was walking back to the seats and either Bake McBride or Garry Maddox hit a homer that landed 20 feet away from me and people were scrambling to get the ball. The electronic Phil and Del did the bell ring thing
FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Uncle Milty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 am

First TV memories are the '72 Phillies.

First live professional event was '75 time trials for the Schaefer 500 at Pocono.

First live game of the major sports was this Phillies game.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:43 am

The Royals World Series (Buddy Biancalana specifically wtf) and the whole Bears run in '85

So I snuck a PSU football title in early
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Eem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 am

Joe Montana getting hurt against the Giants in the NFC game before the Giants-Bills Super Bowl (which is my earliest SB memory)
Bed and bath i love this places
Eem
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:59 am

I can't really peg my first sports memory. I grew up with the Phillies games always on TV or radio. My dad always said as a tyke I would never sit and watch a game. And my first game was at Connie Mack vs. the Giants- I recall nothing, but have been told that I was disappointed that the opponents weren't 10 feet tall as I had expected. One of the most vivid visions I have as a kid going to the vet was walking through the chute from the concourse to the bowl- the field was much greener than the blue-ish hue that it had on TV. Was always very surreal. I also have a fond memory of my uncle taking me on the field in like '72 or '73 where I met and got autographs from my favorite Phillie Don Money, as well as Deron Johnson and others whom I can't remember right now. I have to dig up those pictures and the autographed baseball.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Didn't I? » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 am

At first I thought my earliest sports memory was the Fog Bowl in 1988. I was 7 years old. I remember crying at how unfair I thought it was.

But that wasn't my earliest, because I also remember Game 7 of the Flyers Oilers in 1987, when I was 5 years old. Pretty sure I remember this more because we were using our fancy new VCR to record something for the first time. I remember feeling really dumb that we recorded a loss.

That wasn't my earliest memory either. Because I definitely remember my first Phillies game, in 1986, when I was 4 years old. Phillies vs. Reds. I vividly remember walking through the entrance to our section in the 600 or 700 level and being blown away by how green the field was. The Phillies lost, but on the way back to our car I told my parents it was the best day of my life, which they thought was hilarious coming from a 4-year-old. My dad told this story in his speech at my wedding a couple years ago.

It's very "Philadelphia" that my three earliest sports memories were losses.
​​"Big Dick Nick stepped the #$!&@ up." - An Eagles fan with an eye patch
Didn't I?
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 06hawkalum » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am

Going to a Reading Phillies game at the age of 6 in 1990. I vividly recall that, fittingly, Levar Burton visited the Oakland A's spring training facility and spoke with Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire in the espiode of Reading Rainbow that I watched that afternoon.

I was a relative late-comer, at age 9,before really getting into pro sports.

The first MLB game I watched intently was the final game of the 1992 season...10/4/92. They lost to the Cards and finished 70-92 but I spent that 2.5 hours transfixed and recall being hyped as hell for the 1993 season.

The first NFL game I recall watching with a rooting interest was the Birds WC Round victory over the Saints on 1/3/93.
Last edited by 06hawkalum on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
06hawkalum
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Uncle Milty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am

We need a best sports memory thread next
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Rev_Beezer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Harry saying, “and that sends Schmidt scampering back to first base.”

Also, the commercial where Mike Schmidt tags someone out under the rise of cleaning off third base.
Together we will win this game against the evil Space Yankees! Eat Fresh!
Rev_Beezer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:23 pm

The first Flyers cup. As a really little kid I got caught up in the city's mania. I made my parents open an account at PSFS so I could get a Bernie Parent windbreaker. It came in men's small, the prefect thing for your pre-schooler. Anyway, my family did not care at all about hockey, but I was all in. I remember watching the hand me down black and white console with that lovely 'full ice' camera angle, but the acme of the experiences was my parents being at a meeting at church in Bensalem and I got them to leave me in the car so I could listen to the game. You know, back when you needed a key in the ignition of the old Pontiac (we had 2 so I know that is what I was left in). I listened to the whole game and at the end there were horns blaring... hey, I've got a horn in this car... beeeeeep, beep, beeeeeeeeeep, beep, beep, beep. Man, my parents were there in seconds flat.

If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Not sure why I fixated on live events on my earlier post, but now that I think about it, earliest sports memory is actually watching the 1968 Olympics. I must have had some familiarity with it before, since I came to them already a huge fan of Jim Ryun, who couldn't match Kip Keino's blistering pace in the altitude of Mexico City and wound up a disappointing second. Also remember Bob Beamon's world record long jump. In my memory the sound somehow cut off, and I thought he had hurt himself as he came leaping out of the pit. Instead he was excited about having beat the old mark by like two feet. I also remember watching the medal ceremony with John Carlos and Tommie smith, but with complete incomprehension about what was going on.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby azrider » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:37 pm

my dad playing in basketball league and apparently going for a dunk and getting his wedding band caught on the rim and seeing and hearing my dad scream in pain with a severely dislocated finger and having to go get rushed to the hospital. suffice to say, he never wore it again after that day and i never wear rings also.
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm

I was very little--probably 4, maybe 5. My dad was taking to a Giants preseason game that was being played at Palmer Stadium in Princeton. This would've been around 1970. There had been a hurricane or something the day before and flooding surrounded the stadium and I think Nixon was attending the game (though that part might not be true) and so traffic was a nightmare getting to the game. I remember driving through what seemed like floods to me at the time but were probably just deep puddles and then my dad had to carry me through some high water as we went from the parking lot to the game. We got there at half time. The next day, we watched the game on TV but we didn't see ourselves.

I also remember spending summer evenings lying on a vinyl couch sticky with humidity and watching baseball as summer breezes came in through the window.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Titlehungry » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:49 pm

SixerLed3 wrote:
PTOITWCFTPP wrote:Joe Carter

This followed by Shawn Bradley's Sixers debut.

I may not have watched sports again
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby findAcure » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Attending a Phillies game with my grandparents in 1977

Larry Christenson was pitching a no-hitter into the sixth or seventh inning

My grandmother - totally unaware of what was happening said to my grandfather - “It’s late, maybe we should take Matthew home so he can got to bed”

My grandfather turned to my grandmother and said “Women - this man is pitching a no-hitter - we aren’t going anywhere”

Won 2nd runner up on the Comcast Sportsnet “Memories of the Vet” Contest back in 2004
The Philadelphia Eagles: Team Smug
findAcure
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby philliesphhan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Bucky wrote:I can't really peg my first sports memory. I grew up with the Phillies games always on TV or radio. My dad always said as a tyke I would never sit and watch a game. And my first game was at Connie Mack vs. the Giants- I recall nothing, but have been told that I was disappointed that the opponents weren't 10 feet tall as I had expected. One of the most vivid visions I have as a kid going to the vet was walking through the chute from the concourse to the bowl- the field was much greener than the blue-ish hue that it had on TV. Was always very surreal. I also have a fond memory of my uncle taking me on the field in like '72 or '73 where I met and got autographs from my favorite Phillie Don Money, as well as Deron Johnson and others whom I can't remember right now. I have to dig up those pictures and the autographed baseball.

CBP is better in just about every conceivable way except this one. The reveal on that walk is something I'll never forget and it honestly was pretty amazing every time I experienced it as a kid
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby smitty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:16 pm

My first memory was following the 1964 Phillies. It was so kewl they were in 1st place for a long time. I went to a double header vs. the Cardinals. They lost both games, 6-1 and 4-1. Theoretically that DH lost the the pennant for the fightens. Here's one of the games:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 7262.shtml

It was the first game I ever saw in color. Kewl.
Teams lie, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad. They do it to get an advantage while they look at the trade market or just because they can

--Will Carroll
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Soren » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:41 pm

ABC news announcing Jerome Brown's death, Barkley leaving, Eagles losing to the 49ers (in the playoffs IIRC). Whichever of those happened first.
I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise & stronger.
Soren

Postby mickbayne » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Watching on TV I remember Mike Schmidt announcing his retirement and then Randall Cunningham's incredible TD pass to Fred Barnett against Buffalo.

In person I remember being at the Vet the night they retired Steve Carlton's number. Definitely was at the Vet before then but don't really have any specific memories.
Another day, another box of stolen pens.
mickbayne
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby rolex » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Willie Mays' catch
rolex
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!