Is this Realmuto life? Phillies acquire JT

Re: Is this Realmuto life? Phillies acquire JT

Postby Grotewold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:49 am

Eem wrote:Keith Law, who literally thinks with a prospect-laden brain, thinks it was a good trade

We’re on a boat
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TempleFan22 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 am

Grotewold wrote:
Eem wrote:Keith Law, who literally thinks with a prospect-laden brain, thinks it was a good trade

We’re on a boat

Can you post his write up?
TempleFan22
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby phorever » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:26 am

according to fangraphs depth charts projections, phillies have traded away 4.9 expected 2019 fwar this offseason... but brought in new players worth 10.9 expected fwar. that's 6 wins of improvement, worth over $50million fa dollars. coincidentally, they've taken on almost exactly $50million in salary for new players, but traded away about $20million.
BRING HOME THE GOAT!
phorever
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby SwingOnThis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 am

Scott Lauber on the Stolnis podcast said that they Phillies were concerned about Sixto's conditioning and had questions about his 'makeup'. Said they value Medina possibly more as a prospect.
SwingOnThis
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 am

TINSTAAP.

i'll believe in Sixto when he can string a few seasons together in the minors. Until then he's just an asset to move on from.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby my cousin mose » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:06 am

jamiethekiller wrote:TINSTAAP.

gesundheit!
You merely adopted your mothers basement, I was born there - MoBettle
my cousin mose
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 am

SwingOnThis wrote:Scott Lauber on the Stolnis podcast said that they Phillies were concerned about Sixto's conditioning and had questions about his 'makeup'. Said they value Medina possibly more as a prospect.

His makeup? Now minor leaguers are wearing makeup?
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby cartersDad26 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 am

#Spacecadet?
cartersDad26
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby thephan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 am

phorever wrote:according to fangraphs depth charts projections, phillies have traded away 4.9 expected 2019 fwar this offseason... but brought in new players worth 10.9 expected fwar. that's 6 wins of improvement, worth over $50million fa dollars. coincidentally, they've taken on almost exactly $50million in salary for new players, but traded away about $20million.

The idea that a win is worth over 8.3M is brain bending. Then again, if we continue imaginary math, that $20M traded away means the team got a deal.
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby WhiteyFan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:36 am

SwingOnThis wrote:Scott Lauber on the Stolnis podcast said that they Phillies were concerned about Sixto's conditioning and had questions about his 'makeup'. Said they value Medina possibly more as a prospect.

Im glad to read this. He seems like a long-shot to ever be a workhorse 150-200 inning guy you can count on. Not gonna miss Alfaro at all. Other guy was a lottery ticket. Good trade.
I hate signatures, but I love irony.
WhiteyFan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Slowhand » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am

Question for those who follow the minors more closely. Any thoughts on why Sixto’s strikeouts are so (relatively) low? I know he was very young for where he was pitching, but if you’re throwing THAT hard at such a low level, it seems to me you’d have at least a strikeout an inning without even trying. I get that he’s not throwing 100 on every pitch, but still it’s a bit surprising that his numbers aren’t particularly eye popping.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Squire » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am

Slowhand wrote:Question for those who follow the minors more closely. Any thoughts on why Sixto’s strikeouts are so (relatively) low? I know he was very young for where he was pitching, but if you’re throwing THAT hard at such a low level, it seems to me you’d have at least a strikeout an inning without even trying. I get that he’s not throwing 100 on every pitch, but still it’s a bit surprising that his numbers aren’t particularly eye popping.

My understanding is that he had a great fastball and great fastball command but that his secondaries weren't great (or maybe even average). I think I remember Law saying this.
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Uncle Milty » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:13 am

With the fastball at his level of proficiency I think there was also emphasis on working secondary pitches into game action.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phorever » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am

just glanced through the comment threads about the trade over at thegoodphight. i'm shocked by how much that community hates the trade. pretty much a whole blog group with the same take as mattwinks.

for those folks it's as if the injuries to sixto last year and all of alfaro's whiffs didn't even happen.

i think fangraphs got it right: alfaro and sanchez combine to have a spectacularly wide range of likely outcomes for their careers. both have multiple 70+ tools, but alfaro has an extremely worrisome strike zone issue and sixto has an extremely worrisome health/fitness/size issue. if the phillies expect to sign one of harper/machado they are in a win-now position for which it makes perfect sense to trade away a huge upside+risk player combo for an upper division up-the-middle mlb starter in his prime with two years left of control.

if sixto had stayed healthy last season, or at least returned relatively quickly from his injury, i would feel very differently about the amount of risk associated with keeping him. but he didn't.
BRING HOME THE GOAT!
phorever
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Bucky » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am

i love alf, but his frequent inability to catch pitches throws a big red flag to me. sure, others are telling me he only converted to C in the minors, give him a chance...but i'm not convinced that that's something that would improve with time. it's kind of a common skill to all players.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phillychuck » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am

Squire wrote:
Slowhand wrote:Question for those who follow the minors more closely. Any thoughts on why Sixto’s strikeouts are so (relatively) low? I know he was very young for where he was pitching, but if you’re throwing THAT hard at such a low level, it seems to me you’d have at least a strikeout an inning without even trying. I get that he’s not throwing 100 on every pitch, but still it’s a bit surprising that his numbers aren’t particularly eye popping.

My understanding is that he had a great fastball and great fastball command but that his secondaries weren't great (or maybe even average). I think I remember Law saying this.

This is correct, until his last 4 starts last season he really had no decent secondary pitch. Pro hitters will put fastballs into play, even at 103 mph. His biggest improvement in his last 4 starts is he began throwing a slider which graded out at a 70 (some said 80) on the 20-80 scouting scale. Nobody hit it. If he stays healthy and doesn't lose the slider he's going to be Pedro II.
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby azrider » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 am

Bucky wrote:i love alf, but his frequent inability to catch pitches throws a big red flag to me. sure, others are telling me he only converted to C in the minors, give him a chance...but i'm not convinced that that's something that would improve with time. it's kind of a common skill to all players.

i agree, the passed balls, the wild pitches...

he's been catching AND playing professional baseball since 17. i think it's the same age mike lieberthal and i think even chooch made the switch. it's not like he was going to school or anything at the time.

i also had issues with him maintaining the babip and his 70 power that never seemed to quite translate into the game.
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 am

Jon Heyman

Realmuto and Marlins were about $100M apart in contract negotiations early this winter. Marlins started at about $60M for 5 yrs plus option (comps for 16M in the 3 free agent years were Martin, McCann deals) while Realmuto camp sought about Posey money (Posey deal was 167M).
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joboggi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Key alfaro stat

BABIP through the roof.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Rev_Beezer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 pm

He’s going to wear #10.
Together we will win this game against the evil Space Yankees! Eat Fresh!
Rev_Beezer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!