ESPN 30 for 30

ESPN 30 for 30

Postby FTN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Wayne Gretzky's wife was a 6 in 1988, shes now like a 9.5

First ep was pretty damn good.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 pm

after that piece of glass hit in the head she got hot.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby FTN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:44 pm

next week

In late March of 1984, a moving company secretly packed up the Baltimore Colts’ belongings and its fleet of vans snuck off in the darkness of the early morning. Leaving a city of deeply devoted fans in shock and disbelief. What caused owner Robert Irsay to turn his back on a town that was as closely linked to its team as any in the NFL? Academy Award-winning filmmaker Barry Levinson, himself a long-standing Baltimore Colts fanatic, will probe that question in light of the changing relationship of sports to community. Through the eyes of members of the Colts Marching Band, Levinson will illustrate how a fan base copes with losing the team that it loves.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Is this like Who's Next?
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Harpua » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:56 pm

This actually looks pretty solid. I was watching some clips of other docs today, and they seemed like they were approached with a sense of creativity.
Harpua
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby ashton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 am

That was terrible. It was a failure as entertainment and a failure as journalism. As entertainment it was a dull 15 minute story spread over an hour.

As journalism it was a dereliction of duty. All we got were the words of two people who seemed like they were uncomfortable with their roles in the saga and weren't being entirely forthcoming. the fact that the trade was essentially agreed to in theory three years before it was made was glossed over. There was no insight into what it would have cost Edmonton to keep Gretzky, or how necessary the 15 million dollars was to keeping the Oilers afloat. Gretzky was allowed to get away with saying that he expected to be an Oiler his whole career, even as he refused to negotiate a contract extension with them, and insisted on becoming the highest paid player in hockey. Peter Berg never tried to pin Gretzky down on how he expected that to play out.

Bill Simmons interviewed Peter Berg on his podcast. He mentioned that at the time Janet Jones told Gretzky that he should chose Detroit rather than Los Angeles. Where was that in the show? There was no mention of whether the Oilers negotiated with other teams, what they were offered, and whether Gretzky was given any choice of teams.

And Janet Jones has been an 8.5 since the day she was born.
ashton
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby phatj » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 am

kinky
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby ek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 am

she was in that one movie in the 80's when she was a gymnast. amazing
ek
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby FTN » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 am

ashton wrote:That was terrible. It was a failure as entertainment and a failure as journalism. As entertainment it was a dull 15 minute story spread over an hour.

As journalism it was a dereliction of duty. All we got were the words of two people who seemed like they were uncomfortable with their roles in the saga and weren't being entirely forthcoming. the fact that the trade was essentially agreed to in theory three years before it was made was glossed over. There was no insight into what it would have cost Edmonton to keep Gretzky, or how necessary the 15 million dollars was to keeping the Oilers afloat. Gretzky was allowed to get away with saying that he expected to be an Oiler his whole career, even as he refused to negotiate a contract extension with them, and insisted on becoming the highest paid player in hockey. Peter Berg never tried to pin Gretzky down on how he expected that to play out.

Bill Simmons interviewed Peter Berg on his podcast. He mentioned that at the time Janet Jones told Gretzky that he should chose Detroit rather than Los Angeles. Where was that in the show? There was no mention of whether the Oilers negotiated with other teams, what they were offered, and whether Gretzky was given any choice of teams.

And Janet Jones has been an 8.5 since the day she was born.

Thats dumb. On every level.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby FTN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Story of the Baltimore Colts leaving is on at 8 tonight
FTN
list sheriff

Postby AndyMusser » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Excerpt from tonights 30 for 30 about the Colts moving out of Baltimore

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWw-hewFfq0[/youtube]
AndyMusser
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby FTN » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:35 am

Thought it was excellent again. Definitely a really interesting part of the whole team moving thing.

The USFL one is next I believe.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Wolfgang622 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:57 am

FTN wrote:Story of the Baltimore Colts leaving is on at 8 tonight

I'm sorry I missed the first episode, will definitely watch this tonight.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Wolfgang622 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 am

FTN wrote:Thought it was excellent again. Definitely a really interesting part of the whole team moving thing.

The USFL one is next I believe.

Yes it is. Can't wait.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Grotewold » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 am

How often are they airing? Any plans for a marathon so I can catch up?
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wolfgang622 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 am

mozartpc27 wrote:
FTN wrote:Story of the Baltimore Colts leaving is on at 8 tonight

I'm sorry I missed the first episode, will definitely watch this tonight.

#$!&@! I thought it was Wednesday nights! I want to see it! When will they run it again!

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Wolfgang622 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm

Found the schedule, showing it again a bunch of times this week. Phew. I should have been paying closer attention to when these air; this seems like an A+ series. The kind of thing I might actually buy on DVD if they ever make it to DVD.

Oh, the answer to next week's question is: Donald Trump. No matter what else they say. He was the one who filled the other owner's heads with the idea of a fall schedule, mostly because he was trying to force his team - the New Jersey Generals - to merge into the NFL. Read all about it in The $1 League; a hard-to-find book, but a decent read. I got it at Temple's library and photocopied the whole thing rather than paying >$100 for it. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been reissued.

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby gr » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Was about to head to the grocery store last night when the Colts episode came on. I loved it, thought the story through the marching band was very compelling. I remember this happening -- I was 11 in '84 -- but I din't remember just how nutty Irsay was. That press conference when he was drunk was surreal.

The USFL as a subject might be too broad, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby lethal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Bill Simmons introduction on how the idea got started and the filmmakers doing the stories.

Pretty interesting.

Full schedule.

They replay the episodes a bunch.
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

Postby mcare89 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:16 pm

I thought the USFL documentary was absolutely fantastic. My favorite one so far.
mcare89
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Next

Return to Back She Goes!