Post draft; what now?

Post draft; what now?

Postby FTN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Step 1 - I'm going to start an individual thread for everyone's team. Use that thread to brag about your team, post stats you think might be important/anything else.

Step 2 - We need to discuss the methods for which this will be judged. This includes the simulations that ucancallmedavis was working on, plus anything else that we might find that allows you to assemble fantasy teams and simulate a season/seasons. We'll have that discussion in THIS thread.

Step 3 - We run the simulations/whatever voting we decide on, and figure out who had the best team.

Step 4 - We brag about our team/talk about the good times and reflect on the fun this was.

dajafi or shore, could one of you two guys clean up this forum and delete these threads?

http://www.backshegoes.com/bsg/viewtopic.php?t=7482
http://www.backshegoes.com/bsg/viewtopic.php?t=7572
http://www.backshegoes.com/bsg/viewtopic.php?t=7540
http://www.backshegoes.com/bsg/viewtopic.php?t=7615
http://www.backshegoes.com/bsg/viewtopic.php?t=7619

I'm anal retentive, but the less clutter here the better. Thanks.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Werthless » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:21 am

We should have the voting BEFORE the simulations. Otherwise, the voters would just pick the best simulated teams, defeating the purpose of voting for the best team.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Barry Jive » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:20 pm

although i don't have a team, i've been watching the whole process and think it'd be better if you simulated first, used the results as a guide, had players lobby for their teams based on those results, and had the board vote on playoff teams. then, simulate each playoff matchup and repeat the step for each series.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby CFP » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Werthless wrote:We should have the voting BEFORE the simulations. Otherwise, the voters would just pick the best simulated teams, defeating the purpose of voting for the best team.

Sadly this is also known as the BCS
CFP

Postby Shore » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:44 pm

This'll cost me some votes, but I don't give a rat's ass what the "general public" feels about my squad. I'll take the sim results.

Anyone who wants to vote on other people's teams can man up and join next time.
Trent Steele wrote:maybe the phillies can next kidnap and execute my mom in their ongoing attempt to do things that makes me want to hate them
Shore
All-Seeing, All-Knowing

Postby VoxOrion » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm working with MrsVox to make you a mod of this forum, Flop.
“There are no cool kids. Just people who have good self-esteem and people who blame those people for their own bad self-esteem. “
VoxOrion
Site Admin

Postby kruker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 pm

The only reason I think we should do a vote is that it will hopefully take into account guys who either don't have enough playing time to justify what numbers will go into the sim and for the other active players that might not yet have experienced their decline.
"Everybody's a critic. This wasn't an aesthetic endeavor."
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Werthless » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Barry Jive wrote:although i don't have a team, i've been watching the whole process and think it'd be better if you simulated first, used the results as a guide, had players lobby for their teams based on those results, and had the board vote on playoff teams. then, simulate each playoff matchup and repeat the step for each series.

Well, I was just thinking that sim-ing before voting will hurt the managers who focused more on picking legends who had long extended careers, hurting their season averages. For example, guys like Maddux, Biggio, and Ripken kept playing far past when they were all-star caliber players. If we sim first, a team full of these deserving players will likely do worse than if we designed a "fairer" way to simulate, perhaps by taking their best 10 year peak. And I just think that the results of the simulation will stifle some of the debate, as people will just say "well, team A won 87 games in the simulation, and team B won 81. Team A is better." This will be especially true of people who decide to vote just by glancing at the vote thread ie. people who dont care.

I don't care that much, contrary to what the above may suggest. I just wanted to explain that the voting may be truer to the original intent of the draft if we vote first. We can always have a vote, then simulation, then one final vote.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby philliesphhan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:09 pm

One idea I had for after this if we ever do another fantasy draft is to pick "all time" teams. In other words, if your team is the Red Sox, whoever you pick at some point in their career had to have played for the Red Sox. It wouldn't be as diverse as the current draft, but it might be interesting to see what each team would look like with all of its best players playing together. It would also be interesting in that there couldn't be repeats, so Babe Ruth could be on the Red Sox team, but if he is, he can't also be on the Yankee team.
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan

Postby FTN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 pm

im gonna wait to start the team review threads until this forum gets cleaned up.
FTN
list sheriff

Re: Post draft; what now?

Postby Werthless » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm

FTN wrote:Step 1 - I'm going to start an individual thread for everyone's team. Use that thread to brag about your team, post stats you think might be important/anything else.

When we have the matchups, I assume that you want us to post in our own thread why our team is better than the opponent, right? I don't want to talk too much smack in other people's threads, but I want to be able to explain why my team is awesome.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 am

FTN wrote:im gonna wait to start the team review threads until this forum gets cleaned up.

come on Shore or dajafi, delete those threads!!
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Werthless » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Let's get this show on the road.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Ok. I'm going to create the individual threads for each team. Once your thread is created, you can post whatever you want to, including your starting lineup, the ordering of your starting rotation, your primary closer, etc etc. you can also post any stats to brag up your guys, or whatever else you want to. If davis needs any more info for his simulation, we can add that too.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby FTN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:32 pm

threads created.

also feel free to comment on other teams, picks you liked, picks you didn't, whatever else you'd like.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Werthless » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm

FTN wrote:threads created.

also feel free to comment on other teams, picks you liked, picks you didn't, whatever else you'd like.

LOL, I'm tempted to just jump right in and start criticizing everyone's teams before they realize their threads are up.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:59 pm

FTN
list sheriff

Postby philliesphhan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:10 pm

dum de dum de dum
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan