RP - Hideki Okajima
RP - Huston Street
RP - Ron Perranoski
RP - Chad Bradford
RP - Bob Shawkey
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Werthless » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 pm

I support the number of Phillies you have. But I think you have too many guys whose names begin with "R," and it may make for an uncomfortable clubhouse. I definitely would have taken that into account a little more when drafting.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby philliesphhan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:43 pm

I also kind of wonder how the really old players will react to a Japanese guy on the team.
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Werthless » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:46 pm

Don't worry, Ichiro is a big clubhouse guy. By big, I mean aloof, so it's not like they'll interact much anyway.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Warszawa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:14 pm

If I drafted a team this might be it....besides Howard. Love the Starting Pitching.
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:31 pm

This is a really good team, that just happens to sport a ton of great Phillies- and that is a winning combination in this league.

Unbelieveable rotation- probably my favorite in the league.
SteveJeltzPhanClub
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby kruker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Not a complaint against the players, it's undoubtedly a hell of a rotation, but 4 of those 5 guys pitched during a hitting depressed era. Those guys all pitched during a time when the league ERA (through the course of their careers) was below 3.8 (3.55 for Marichal).

Take Carlton for example, the highest league ERA during his career was 4.54, and that was in 1987 when he was 42 years old. During his 24 year career, the league ERA topped 4.00 only 4 times, and 2 of those seasons were 1987 and 1988.

Compare that to a pitcher like Maddux who in a 23 year career only saw the league ERA dip below 4.00, 5 times. 4.16 league era throughout his career. Or Randy Johnson, league era throughout his career has been 4.47.

Without looking at the neutralized stats, this might be the runaway winner for best rotation, but when put into context I think it loses some of its luster.

At the same time, because of the low era's across the league, ERA+ underrates these guys, if you don't take the time period into context (Carlton at 115 for his career, Gibson at 127). Still, it's got to be one of the better rotations in the draft.
"Everybody's a critic. This wasn't an aesthetic endeavor."
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby ucancallmedavis » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:13 pm

I love my team, and I appreciate all the nice things people said about the rotation I put together. With that said, I want to draw some love for the starting lineup I assembled as well. In my opinion I was able to put a lot of guys into a lineup who may have been the best to ever play their respective positions both offensively and defensively. Certainly this arguement is easy to make with a guy like Hornsby, but it is also my protest that you might be able to say the same about Pudge, Baker, Griffey, Yount and Clemente all Top ten 5-10 material at their respective positions for sure in my mind. To me that is a lot of value, and that was essentially my strategy in this draft, value. I believe I might have made the steal of the draft with my LATE LATE LATE pick of George Sisler who for all intent and purposes should probably be starting over Ryan Howard. If I have a short coming, it may be the lack of recognation at RP, however, please do not sell these guys short without doing some research, in particular, another steal I was proud of; check out one Ron Perranowski, guy had to be one of the original closers, racking up saves when they were not quite as easy to get.
Its not so much me as it is Roenick... he's good. --swingers

You should practice this when I am not here. --swingers
ucancallmedavis
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Return to Fantasy Stuff