RP - Takashi Saito
RP - Jose Valverde
RP - Joey Devine
RP - Pat Neshek
RP - Jeff Zimmerman
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Werthless » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

I like the youth of your staff, as they've still got a lot of life left in their arms. I even think Zimmerman may be preparing a return from his forced retirement. I also really like the pick of Dietz. He was very healthy during his 1970 season; it was so tough for him to get AB's otherwise!
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Warszawa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 pm

I can't endorse a team with Jim Edmonds starting.

A dead-baller as your ace? hurm.
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Shore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Five things:

1) I didn't set a "lineup".
2) I didn't set a "rotation".
3) There are like 4 people whose opinions would matter to me; none of them have posted in this thread.
4) Jim Edmonds is 60th all time in OPS, and has 8 Gold Gloves.
5) Rules are rules. Had relief pitchers with limited experience been discouraged by rule (say, a minimum # of innings), I wouldn't have the same bullpen. As it stands, there's NO WAY anyone's bullpen has a ERA+ near mine. Not even close.
Trent Steele wrote:maybe the phillies can next kidnap and execute my mom in their ongoing attempt to do things that makes me want to hate them
Shore
All-Seeing, All-Knowing

Postby kruker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:24 am

Shore wrote:5) Rules are rules. Had relief pitchers with limited experience been discouraged by rule (say, a minimum # of innings), I wouldn't have the same bullpen. As it stands, there's NO WAY anyone's bullpen has a ERA+ near mine. Not even close.

It's comparable to taking advantage of a video game glitch to win, then bragging about it. I've got no problem with it, because I don't think you did anything wrong nor do I really care since this was a really fun thing to do. I just think it's kind of weird to admit to wanting to take advantage of a flaw in a simulation with nothing on the line.

About your team: I love it. In hindsight, I should have taken Pujols ahead of Morgan, but I figured it would be much tougher to get a top 2nd baseman than 1st baseman. There are 4-5 guys on your roster that I was going to pick the round you went with them, the entire first round I was hoping for A-Rod to slip through.
Last edited by kruker on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody's a critic. This wasn't an aesthetic endeavor."
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 am

You aren't Floppy or MattS. Shore doesn't care. He gon' win, don't you see?

Also he may, if you are lucky, suggest for you to fellate someone.

Edit: Well if you're going to edit your comment to be nice, mine starts to look really dumb, now doesn't it. (Not that it looked good to begin with)
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby kruker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 am

Truthfully, I had the edit window open and typing when you posted yours, it took some time to type since I was perusing the draft order in another tab, so I didn't see what you posted until my edit was finished.
"Everybody's a critic. This wasn't an aesthetic endeavor."
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:06 am

You mean the world doesn't revolve around me? Damn.

That team is quite good. I mean, it has Chase Utley on it.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Shore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:45 am

Another really, really cool feature of Baseball Reference is the "Link Players" feature. You paste in text that has player names in it - a blog post, for example, and click a button, and it turns the names into links. You can either have HTML, or "baseball think factory" format, which I believe is the same as phpbb. If I take floppy's list for my team above, and do it in the bbtf format, I get:
Cleveland Indians
Manager: Davey Johnson

C - Roy Campanella
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Wade Boggs
SS - Alex Rodriguez
OF - Rickey Henderson
OF - Larry Walker
OF - Jim Edmonds

C - Dick Dietz
CI - Will Clark
MI - Ian Kinsler
OF - Frank Howard
OF - Kevin Mitchell

SP - Ed Walsh
SP - Don Drysdale
SP - Bret Saberhagen
SP - Tim Hudson
SP - Carlos Zambrano

RP - Joe Nathan
RP - Mike Gonzalez
RP - Takashi Saito
RP - Jose Valverde
RP - Joey Devine
RP - Pat Neshek
RP - Jeff Zimmerman

That's just cool. Here's the tool.
Trent Steele wrote:maybe the phillies can next kidnap and execute my mom in their ongoing attempt to do things that makes me want to hate them
Shore
All-Seeing, All-Knowing

Postby Shore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:57 am

jerseyhoya wrote:You aren't Floppy or MattS. Shore doesn't care. He gon' win, don't you see?

Also he may, if you are lucky, suggest for you to fellate someone.

I like that playing to win, despite consequences, is simply acting rationally in politics, but in something as important as a message board fantasy draft, it's unbecoming.

I'm definitely one of jerseyhoya's favorite posters.
Shore
All-Seeing, All-Knowing

Postby Shore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:01 am

kruker wrote:About your team: I love it. In hindsight, I should have taken Pujols ahead of Morgan, but I figured it would be much tougher to get a top 2nd baseman than 1st baseman. There are 4-5 guys on your roster that I was going to pick the round you went with them, the entire first round I was hoping for A-Rod to slip through.

You ripped Webb, KBrown, Eck, at least 2 others, right out of my freaking hands. I like your team, mostly because I would have picked half of them had they lasted to me.
Shore
All-Seeing, All-Knowing

Postby Werthless » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Shore wrote:5) Rules are rules. Had relief pitchers with limited experience been discouraged by rule (say, a minimum # of innings), I wouldn't have the same bullpen. As it stands, there's NO WAY anyone's bullpen has a ERA+ near mine. Not even close.

And that will help you in the sim, and hurt you in the vote. I like how you profess "I don't care about the vote," as a preemptive excuse in case your team isn't liked by others.

My bullpen average ERA+ is 173.2, compared to your 164.7. So you're right, it's not really that close. Perhaps you should do the arithmetic before making such sweeping statements.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby philliesphhan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Werthless wrote:

And that will help you in the sim, and hurt you in the vote. I like how you profess "I don't care about the vote," as a preemptive excuse in case your team isn't liked by others.

My bullpen average ERA+ is 173.2, compared to your 164.7. So you're right, it's not really that close. Perhaps you should do the arithmetic before making such sweeping statements.

I'm not sure I want there to be a vote after seeing Warszawa's posts. He "doesn't like" Hank Aaron. WTF?
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Werthless » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:31 pm

philliesphhan wrote:
Werthless wrote:

I'm not sure I want there to be a vote after seeing Warszawa's posts. He "doesn't like" Hank Aaron. WTF?

Haha. Sounds like Corky Simpson.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Warszawa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:19 pm

philliesphhan wrote:
Werthless wrote:

just personal opinion
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:28 pm

I think this team sports the best infield in all the draft.

Campy at C, Pujols at 1B, Utley at 2B, Boggs at 3B, and AROD at SS.

That's unfair :)
SteveJeltzPhanClub
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Return to Fantasy Stuff