Monty kills the Halladay hard on

Monty kills the Halladay hard on

Postby FTN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:47 pm

part 3 of the saga begins here.

Rumors and rumblings: The Blue Jays continue to shop right-hander Roy Halladay, and indications are that the Phillies are not as hot on him as has been reported, and that the Angels may be the frontrunners. GM J.P. Ricciardi is also willing to trade Halladay inside the division, which means the Red Sox will be in the hunt, and the Yankees are expected to be, too, despite indications to the contrary. The White Sox and Dodgers might be dark-horse contenders, as well as the Rangers, despite owner Tom Hicks’ financial problems. …

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=9254

“We want to do everything we can to repeat, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we do the most popular thing,” Montgomery said. “A lot of our game is to look in the mirror and be very candid to understand what you see there. We have to be candid in assessing not only our big-league talent, but also our minor-league talent.”

yeah well, gettem next year.
Last edited by FTN on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby ek » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:49 pm

this whole thing is making me sick. we are leading, we aren't interested, we are interested, etc. I have no idea anymore. it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that we pulled out though
ek
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Trent Steele » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:50 pm

No one at BP has any sources for this kind of stuff. Complete BS.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby philliesphhan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Gillick is there today to watch Halladay. The Phillies wouldn't send him there if we weren't interested.
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan

Postby kruker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 pm

philliesphhan wrote:Gillick is in Toronto today, so it doesn't make any sense that we would have lost interest.
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby VFB » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Drabek's next start is listed as TBD
VFB
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:54 pm

philliesphhan wrote:Gillick is there today to watch Halladay. The Phillies wouldn't send him there if we weren't interested.

Well of course we're interested. But that's like saying the average guy is interested in nailing Jessica Alba. It's all a question of whether you have the game to accomplish it
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:56 pm

My guess, and this is pure speculation, is that Gillick was sent to Toronto to basically explain to Toronto what we're willing to give up, and that we won't really waiver from it, so if they are interested in working on something around our parameters, we're willing, but if not, then we'll move on. Why else would they send Gillick? He knows all about Halladay, you don't need to see one start, and hes not an active scout. He's there to negotiate.

Or buy artwork for his wife's gallery
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Didn't I? » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Woody wrote:
philliesphhan wrote:Gillick is there today to watch Halladay. The Phillies wouldn't send him there if we weren't interested.

Well of course we're interested. But that's like saying the average guy is interested in nailing Jessica Alba. It's all a question of whether you have the game to accomplish it

Nothing would be untouchable, that's for sure.
Didn't I?
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CrashburnAlley » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:00 pm

I think it's good that the Phillies have gotten on a hot streak as the trade deadline has approached because it means they're not as visibly desperate for improvement, removing a lot of leverage from the Blue Jays. It's not like teams are lining up around the block for a chance to get Halladay; it's the Phillies and a couple other teams with muted interest.

Whether it's a facade is up for debate, but it's not like the Jays can flip the Phillies off and say they are confident they'll get what they want from someone else. At this point, I think the Phillies can tell the Jays what they're willing to give up and the Jays can take it or leave it. It's unlikely that a rational offer from the Phillies will be matched by anyone else.
Crashburn Alley

WTF C'MON GUYZ STOP BEING PPL AND START BEIN HOCKY ROBOTS
CrashburnAlley
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby FTN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Halladay's settled in
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Trent Steele » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:06 pm

JP on WEEI today. Floppy, since he's in Boston, go talk to him.

http://audio.weei.com/m/25364809/jp-ric ... ays-gm.htm
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:10 pm

hes a smug douche. id punch him if i saw him
FTN
list sheriff

Postby FTN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 pm

I think I saw Gillick behind home plate
FTN
list sheriff

Postby ek » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:57 pm

he is pitching his ass off right now
ek

Postby S2D » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:02 pm

7.0 IP 83 pitches against a top 3 offense.
S2D
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Warszawa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:11 pm

I saw this thread title and I felt like a got hit in the stomach. Can't wait till they actually don't get him.
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby mstein88 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Warszawa wrote:I saw this thread title and I felt like a got hit in the stomach. Can't wait till they actually don't get him.

Yeah ... kind of a ridiculous thread title.
mstein88
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby FTN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:14 pm

mstein!!!
FTN
list sheriff

Postby JFLNYC » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Maybe we shouldn't be interested. If we get Halladay, he's going to replace Happ in the rotation once Pedro is ready (Don't kid yourself: Moyer's not coming out of the rotation). Realistically, can you really expect Halladay to pitch better than Happ? Happ's winning practically every game he starts and is pitching deep into games.

The arguments for Halladay/against Happ are twofold:

1. Happ's peripherals suggest he's pitching over his head; and
2. You want Halladay for the post-season.

Maybe Happ's peripherals will get better instead of worse. Maybe he's just coming into his own (he's about the right age) and he's got the minor league credentials to back up his success.

As far as the post-season is concerned, there are plenty of examples of great pitchers who struggled at times in the post-season, especially early in their post-season careers: Steve Carlton, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and even our own Pedro Martinez struggled at times.

I love Hallday, but I'm just sayin'. . .
Jamie
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Next

Return to All things Halladay