Monty kills the Halladay hard on

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:28 pm

See, and maybe I am reading too much into this, but it seems to me as if Zolecki is hinting that, if the Phillies include Drabek, they could get Halladay without including any of the other three blue chippers. In other words, keeping Drabek means they have to give up Happ, Taylor/Brown, and Knapp, but trading Drabek means they keep Happ AND Taylor AND Brown AND Knapp (sending a package of something like Drabek/Donald/Marson/another arm), AND the Phillies still get Halladay. If that is true,

TRADE KYLE DRABEK NOW!!!!!!!!!

I will drive Drabek to Toronto myself if that is true.

Drabek better be the next coming of Walter #$!&@ Johnson if keeping him means they have to give all of that up.
Last edited by Wolfgang622 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
User avatar
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 25274
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Baseball Heaven

Postby The Dude » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:29 pm

dude, he's not hinting, that was exactly what he suggested
BSG HOF '25
User avatar
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 27134
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: 250 52nd st

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Woody wrote:But you don't even know what the price is yet. All you have is kenrosenthisms and heman tweets


Oh, I thought we were conjecturing about what we would and would not be willing to give up. I have never said, not once, that I am unwilling to make a deal for Halladay. I just said that I don't like the price tag being thrown around. I think we all have a price that's too steep to pay for him. Mine is just more conservative that yours. The way people are acting, you'd think I advocated shooting puppies for sport.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
User avatar
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 22405
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Music City

Postby SideshowBob » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 pm

JFLNYC wrote:Exactly. That's why I keep saying we should have a filter on the site so his name comes up: "Halladay, plus two draft picks."


While I totally agree with that in principle, it's worth considering the possibility that Halladay gets injured and can't pitch next year or is ineffective or limited in innings. I'm not saying this is expected or likely, but it's not certain that he'll garner 2 draft picks if he leaves after 2010. For example, the A's acquired Matt Holliday thinking they'd at least get draft picks for him and that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Also, I haven't seen it written, but if traded to the Phils (or anywhere) couldn't Halladay demand a trade this off-season as a "veteran player traded in the middle of a multi-year deal"? I mean, that would seem an unlikely scenario, but possible as well and should be taken into account -- Halladay may end up hating being on the Phillies for whatever reason.
User avatar
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3053
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Postby The Dude » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:
Woody wrote:But you don't even know what the price is yet. All you have is kenrosenthisms and heman tweets


Oh, I thought we were conjecturing about what we would and would not be willing to give up. I have never said, not once, that I am unwilling to make a deal for Halladay. I just said that I don't like the price tag being thrown around. I think we all have a price that's too steep to pay for him. Mine is just more conservative that yours. The way people are acting, you'd think I advocated shooting puppies for sport.


you wouldn't want to see the way i act if that's what you were doing
BSG HOF '25
User avatar
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 27134
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: 250 52nd st

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Philly the Kid wrote:
Bonds won ZERO WS.


Yes but Winfield and Sheffield and lots of other great outfielders besides the ones you cherrypicked have, kid! :lol:
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 51917
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 pm

jesus mozart is off his meds again
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 51917
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby The Dude » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:32 pm

SideshowBob wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:Exactly. That's why I keep saying we should have a filter on the site so his name comes up: "Halladay, plus two draft picks."


While I totally agree with that in principle, it's worth considering the possibility that Halladay gets injured and can't pitch next year or is ineffective or limited in innings. I'm not saying this is expected or likely, but it's not certain that he'll garner 2 draft picks if he leaves after 2010. For example, the A's acquired Matt Holliday thinking they'd at least get draft picks for him and that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Also, I haven't seen it written, but if traded to the Phils (or anywhere) couldn't Halladay demand a trade this off-season as a "veteran player traded in the middle of a multi-year deal"? I mean, that would seem an unlikely scenario, but possible as well and should be taken into account -- Halladay may end up hating being on the Phillies for whatever reason.


In the unlikely scenario that happens, fine. You made a run, you're not losing him to free agency like a lot of rentals. you'll still get something valuable back
BSG HOF '25
User avatar
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 27134
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: 250 52nd st

Postby stevelxa476 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Woody wrote:
Philly the Kid wrote:
Bonds won ZERO WS.


Yes but Winfield and Sheffield and lots of other great outfielders besides the ones you cherrypicked have, kid! :lol:


So Taguichi won 2, maybe Brown/Taylor can be the next Taguchi!
Yes son. I'm the best mono-thingy guy there ever was.
User avatar
stevelxa476
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor
 
Posts: 6818
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 am
Location: The Legit Republic of Blanketsburg

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:34 pm

The Dude wrote:MB, you never answered the second part of my post: if you don't make a move like this now, when do you ever? Just say all these prospects pan out, and they're in a position to make a run. they're probably going to need some kind of pitcher. So what will you do then?


I guess I hope we keep developing pitchers, like Hamels and Happ and Knapp and Drabek, while adding a piece here or there to fill in as needed (Blanton, Moyer, Lidle, etc). If we were in a battle for our lives to get to the playoffs, I might feel differently about giving more for him, but that's not the case.

Also, given the financial situation around baseball, we might be able to snag a decent pitcher late in August when more teams are eliminated and looking to dump payroll.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
User avatar
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 22405
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Music City

Postby S2D » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:35 pm

jamiethekiller wrote:
jerseyhoya wrote:
WilliamC wrote:I was thinking about looking into a Blue Jays message board to see what they or he was saying but I guess that doesn't really matter.


http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx.tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-bluejays&tid=61405

joboogz beat you to the punch


gold jerry, gold


LOL!
User avatar
S2D
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:36 pm

I think the point is, you can develop pitchers until you're blue in the face (or other areas) but the chance that any of them will ever approach Roy Halladay's level is very slim
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 51917
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby philliesr98 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:36 pm

maybe rube knows he is going to trade drabek, but he is holding off to make sure when he does, he doesnt have to include Brown Taylor Happ or Knapp

Drabek marson donald FTMFW
None of you have probably ever eaten steak with me or rice and beans with me to understand what the man is about. -pedro
User avatar
philliesr98
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 9224
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: an island somewhere

Postby The Dude » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:
The Dude wrote:MB, you never answered the second part of my post: if you don't make a move like this now, when do you ever? Just say all these prospects pan out, and they're in a position to make a run. they're probably going to need some kind of pitcher. So what will you do then?


I guess I hope we keep developing pitchers, like Hamels and Happ and Knapp and Drabek, while adding a piece here or there to fill in as needed (Blanton, Moyer, Lidle, etc). If we were in a battle for our lives to get to the playoffs, I might feel differently about giving more for him, but that's not the case.

Also, given the financial situation around baseball, we might be able to snag a decent pitcher late in August when more teams are eliminated and looking to dump payroll.


Well, Knapp and Drabek aren't developed yet. Happ is nice and all, but we'll see how he does, if his numbers catch up to him. I'm worried about Hamels right now, and would like to go into the playoffs with a guy I have a lot of confidence in. I don't care about making the playoffs, we're past that stage now.
BSG HOF '25
User avatar
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 27134
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: 250 52nd st

Postby Phight On! » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:38 pm

I was up to page 12 last night of this thread, fell asleep, just woke up and now we're up to page 50.

What's the deal with Monty? Did he seriously say something to the effect that there will be no deal?

There are so many good posts in these threads. I'm not even sure which one it was in but Floppy might have made the best post in the history of BSG regarding our prospects and I wanted to reply to it but can't even find it anymore.

Oh and I do want to say Thank You to the one kind soul who hooked a brother up on the Erin Andrews front. My life is now complete. The rest of you are on notice.
User avatar
Phight On!
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 4297
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: The Reservation of the Smack-A-Ho Tribe

Previous

Return to All things Halladay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest