Phillies realistically in it for Halladay?

Will the Phillies realistically try to trade for Halladay?

Yes
21%
Maybe
20%
Smug
59%

Total votes : 86

Postby lowcountry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Need news soon. Not sure how much longer my F5 button can hold out.
lowcountry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CFP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Salisbury (sorry if posted already):

One person with knowledge of the Phillies’ inner workings recently described Halladay as general manager Ruben Amaro’s ``white whale.’’ People close to the Phils’ GM say he began plotting strategy to get Halladay as far back as the summer of 2008.

The Phils passed on Halladay in July because they believed the Jays’ asking price of pitchers Kyle Drabek and J.A. Happ and outfielders Domonic Brown and Anthony Gose was too steep.

It’s unlikely that the Phils would budge on Drabek and Brown, but if the Jays would accept a lesser package – and there are signs that they are ready to do that – the Phils might be ready to play ball.
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:31 pm

CFP wrote:One person with knowledge of the Phillies’ inner workings recently described Halladay as general manager Ruben Amaro’s ``white whale.’’

The hell does that mean? Amaro is gonna kill Halladay?
Last edited by Grotewold on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby dajafi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:31 pm

My concerns about the deal notwithstanding, I'm totally aroused.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Eem » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 pm

So, when do we think this could happen?
Bed and bath i love this places
Eem
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

It’s unlikely that the Phils would budge on Drabek and Brown, but if the Jays would accept a lesser package – and there are signs that they are ready to do that – the Phils might be ready to play ball.

oh my god
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Didn't I? » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I just pre-preordered a Halladay jersey.
​​"Big Dick Nick stepped the #$!&@ up." - An Eagles fan with an eye patch
Didn't I?
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Dude » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Grotewold wrote:
CFP wrote:One person with knowledge of the Phillies’ inner workings recently described Halladay as general manager Ruben Amaro’s ``white whale.’’

The hell does that mean? Amaro is gonna kill Halladay?

Halladay for Utley/Howard/Wertz and cash to cover 90% of their salaries.
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CFP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:35 pm

FTN wrote:

oh my god

How dare they. You're saying Anthopolous isn't a smug douche like Ricciardi? And actually wants to get some sort of value for a guy who has one year left on his contract before he bolts somewhere else? I'm shocked.
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bakestar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:35 pm

dajafi wrote:My concerns about the deal notwithstanding, I'm totally aroused.

It's like getting a lapdance from a fat chick. You get excited even if your heart and brain both say "do not want."
Foreskin stupid
Bakestar
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:36 pm

more salisbury

On his way out the door today, Amaro was asked about the Halladay situation, which has grown hotter and hotter with some reports saying that the Phils are the frontrunner to acquire the 32-year-old righthander, who is 148-76 with a 3.43 ERA in 12 big-league seasons.

``Our focus is the bullpen,’’ said Amaro. ``If we can find someone to help us at the back end of the (starting) rotation, that would be good. But the bullpen is our priority.’’

After that bit of side-stepping, Amaro was asked point-blank: Are the Phillies in or out of the Halladay sweepstakes?

``I can’t talk about another team’s players,’’ he said.

Notice Amaro did not say ``out.’’

That would have doused the Halladay speculation right there. And Amaro knows how to handle a fire extinguisher when he wants to.
Last edited by ek on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ek
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby The Dude » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Amaro then slapped the reported
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby lethal » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

FTN wrote:

oh my god

So that means Happ, Taylor and an A ball guy like maybe Gose? Do that every day and twice on Sunday.
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

Postby Grotewold » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

ek wrote:more salisbury

On his way out the door today, Amaro was asked about the Halladay situation, which has grown hotter and hotter with some reports saying that the Phils are the frontrunner to acquire the 32-year-old righthander, who is 148-76 with a 3.43 ERA in 12 big-league seasons.

``Our focus is the bullpen,’’ said Amaro. ``If we can find someone to help us at the back end of the (starting) rotation, that would be good. But the bullpen is our priority.’’

After that bit of side-stepping, Amaro was asked point-blank: Are the Phillies in or out of the Halladay sweepstakes?

``I can’t talk about another team’s players,’’ he said.

Notice Amaro did not say ``out.’’

That would have doused the Halladay speculation right there. And Amaro knows how to handle a fire extinguisher when he wants to.

Amaro vs. the media

Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Soren » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

FTN wrote:

oh my god

"Annihilation!" she shrieked at me, flailing in confusion. "Annihilation! Annihilation!"
Napalm wrote:well you know what they say, a collar saved is a collar earned
Soren

Postby FTN » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

I think I read somewhere yesterday that the Blue Jays are focused on minor league talent, because they know they're in a rebuild type situation. So I don't know if they'd even want Happ.

If Drabek and Brown are off the table, that means its going to be guys like Taylor, May, Gose, D'Arnaud, Cosart, and others.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby CFP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

lethal wrote:
FTN wrote:

oh my god

So that means Happ, Taylor and an A ball guy like maybe Gose? Do that every day and twice on Sunday.

The package Ricciardi wanted was idiotic. At the point in the contract for Halladay, what was left on it, what it cost, all the moving parts, what he asked for was ludicrous. That being said, I think Anthopolous will probably still demand Brown or Drabek. I'm willing to give one of them, then follow that with Happ/Gose/May/D'Arnaud, probably two of those guys.
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Eem » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Might as well start screen-printing the jersey shirts. Schneider already picking a new number.
Bed and bath i love this places
Eem
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:41 pm

The Eeming Tree wrote:So, when do we think this could happen?

There are a lot of moving parts to this deal. Not only the player swap part, but the Monty/Owners negotiation (presumably some of that has already taken place -- RAJ wouldn't make an offer without at least some sort of preliminary OK from Monty/The Owners, but now that it may be getting real, they may want more specifics about RAJ's financial plans). Then there's the Halladay extension element. There's also the possibility Monty/The Owners have told him he can do the deal, but he's got to do a least a partial salary unload before finalizing it, etc., etc.

RAJ seems awfully thorough and I'm sure had as many ducks in a row as possible before starting the actually deal negotiations, but there's still a lot to get done. Give him time to work his magic.
Jamie
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to All things Halladay