Halladay XII: Now with Roy Halladay!

Postby etched Chaos » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:16 am

kimbatiste wrote:
The Savior wrote:
Trent Steele wrote:
halladay is to receive a $60-million, 3-year extension with 2 vesting options from philly once pending megadeal goes thru

hyman

This would imply that the "players" involved may not be finalized?

Not really. We're grasping at straws at this point.

Are we really? Because from my vantage point there have been so many different deals thrown out by Media hacks that you're all going #$!&@ over what is really just speculation and faulty logic speculation at that.
etched Chaos
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:18 am

i has a sad
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jamiethekiller » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:18 am

Can't see the forest through the tree's?
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby drsmooth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:18 am

It will be numerologically fitting if all of this bidness is resolved come Halladay chapter XIII
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:21 am

XX lock it up XX
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PSUsarge » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

talked to a member of the Phillies org. who doesn't understand the trade - said Taylor is mlb ready right now

coslov
PSUsarge
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Werthless » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:23 am

bleh wrote:Could everyone stop talking about last years trade? We all know we robbed Cleveland. It's irrelevant to this trade now. You might as well talk about how it's Christmas and the sun is shining so we should all just be happy.

No it ain't.

Here's what offends me, after deliberating over it this morning:

What is driving this deal is the Phillies' inability to extend Lee. If they could extend Lee, they would, and be done with it.

Now, last July, the process of trying to get Halladay, which eventually resulted in the Phillies getting Lee, took, if I remember correctly, about 3,476 years. Or something close to that. It was excruciating, and did go on every day for like a month.

Now, with all that time, the Phillies should have been able to figure out that their chances of extending Halladay were much, much better than extending Lee. Considering where we are today, that was obviously the case five months ago, just as it is today.

So, EITHER it never occurred to the Phillies to think about the relative likelihood of extending Halladay or Lee, and for that reason they never figured that into their calculations about the cost of acquiring either pitcher, OR it did occur to them, found out Lee wanted to test free agency, but Amaro in his smugness believed that spending three months with the Phillies would change his mind about wanting $100 million dollars or more.

Frankly, I'm not sure which of those two possibilities offends me more.

Either way, they got it wrong, and so now Halladay has essentially cost them Carrasco, Donald, Marson, Knapp, Drabek, Taylor, and D'Arnaud (TWO #$!&@ CATCHERS in a catcher-depleted world!!!!), minus whatever Gillies, Aumont, and Ramirez detracts from that price (by most accounts, Taylor>Gillies, Drabek>>Aumont, Ramirez>>Knapp).

Amaro got it handed to him. In a big way. Because he didn't do his due diligence regarding whether or not he could extend Lee, or he did do it, but didn't care. When he realized he wouldn't be able to extend Lee, he essentially panicked, caved entirely to Toronto, throwing "good" money - Drabek, Taylor, and D'Arnaud - after "bad" (i.e., spent on a dying asset) - Donald, Marson, Carrasco, and Knapp.

Terrible job. I really don't think there's another way to look at it without deluding oneself.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Werthless » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 am

mozartpc27 wrote:Amaro got it handed to him. In a big way. Because he didn't do his due diligence regarding whether or not he could extend Lee, or he did do it, but didn't care. When he realized he wouldn't be able to extend Lee, he essentially panicked, caved entirely to Toronto, throwing "good" money - Drabek, Taylor, and D'Arnaud - after "bad" (i.e., spent on a dying asset) - Donald, Marson, Carrasco, and Knapp.

Terrible job. I really don't think there's another way to look at it without deluding oneself.

If by due diligence, you mean tampering.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 am

PSUsarge wrote:
talked to a member of the Phillies org. who doesn't understand the trade - said Taylor is mlb ready right now

Umm....
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby gr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 am

Halladay XIII: What Is and What Should Never Be
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 am

Werthless wrote:
mozartpc27 wrote:Amaro got it handed to him. In a big way. Because he didn't do his due diligence regarding whether or not he could extend Lee, or he did do it, but didn't care. When he realized he wouldn't be able to extend Lee, he essentially panicked, caved entirely to Toronto, throwing "good" money - Drabek, Taylor, and D'Arnaud - after "bad" (i.e., spent on a dying asset) - Donald, Marson, Carrasco, and Knapp.

You're telling me that there was no way the Phillies could find out if Lee was hell-bent on testing the FA market or not without getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar? That they respect the rules too much? That they don't have anybody who can do a little undercover work? I don't believe the Phillies are that honest, or that friendless.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby Grotewold » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:30 am

mozartpc27 wrote:
Werthless wrote:

You're telling me that there was no way the Phillies could find out if Lee was hell-bent on testing the FA market or not without getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar? That they respect the rules too much? That they don't have anybody who can do a little undercover work? I don't believe the Phillies are that honest, or that friendless.

What's the difference? He gave us a pennant and what we're getting back from his is comparable to, or better, than what we gave for him.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby bleh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 am

mozartpc27 wrote:
bleh wrote:Could everyone stop talking about last years trade? We all know we robbed Cleveland. It's irrelevant to this trade now. You might as well talk about how it's Christmas and the sun is shining so we should all just be happy.

No it ain't.

Here's what offends me, after deliberating over it this morning:

What is driving this deal is the Phillies' inability to extend Lee. If they could extend Lee, they would, and be done with it.

Now, last July, the process of trying to get Halladay, which eventually resulted in the Phillies getting Lee, took, if I remember correctly, about 3,476 years. Or something close to that. It was excruciating, and did go on every day for like a month.

Now, with all that time, the Phillies should have been able to figure out that their chances of extending Halladay were much, much better than extending Lee. Considering where we are today, that was obviously the case five months ago, just as it is today.

So, EITHER it never occurred to the Phillies to think about the relative likelihood of extending Halladay or Lee, and for that reason they never figured that into their calculations about the cost of acquiring either pitcher, OR it did occur to them, found out Lee wanted to test free agency, but Amaro in his smugness believed that spending three months with the Phillies would change his mind about wanting $100 million dollars or more.

Frankly, I'm not sure which of those two possibilities offends me more.

Either way, they got it wrong, and so now Halladay has essentially cost them Carrasco, Donald, Marson, Knapp, Drabek, Taylor, and D'Arnaud (TWO $#@!-ING CATCHERS in a catcher-depleted world!!!!), minus whatever Gillies, Aumont, and Ramirez detracts from that price (by most accounts, Taylor>Gillies, Drabek>>Aumont, Ramirez>>Knapp).

Amaro got it handed to him. In a big way. Because he didn't do his due diligence regarding whether or not he could extend Lee, or he did do it, but didn't care. When he realized he wouldn't be able to extend Lee, he essentially panicked, caved entirely to Toronto, throwing "good" money - Drabek, Taylor, and D'Arnaud - after "bad" (i.e., spent on a dying asset) - Donald, Marson, Carrasco, and Knapp.

He got Lee for 2 years at a cheap salary for less-than-great prospects. It was a great deal. It's completely irrelevant if they could re-sign Lee or could get Halladay. He got the team to the World Series almost single handedly and won 2 WS games. Even if Lee told Amaro beforehand he would only sign on the west coast for $50 million per year it was still a great trade. The Phils got to the WS twice without Halladay, it's not going to kill their franchise to not get him. They could upgrade in other areas with the $20 million and prospects. If you really think the trade last year was bad then you're like the only one on planet earth who thinks that.
bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 am

stop posting in this thread dopes.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Previous

Return to All things Halladay