9/24/09 Phils @ Marlins GT

Postby lowcountry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Bakestar wrote:We haven't clinched $#@! yet.

You're right. Atlanta could win out. Finish the year 12-0. And the Phils could pitch Lidge every day and finish 3-8.

Look, be pissed. That's cool. I get it.

But this division is decided and every move Charlie makes from here on out needs to be with the postseason in mind.
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡GRAN EQUIPO, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!
lowcountry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Barry Jive » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:15 pm

It's literally unbelievable that we're still having this argument. #$!&@ Charlie. #$!&@ Lidge. And if it helps us get that piece of filth out of our bullpen, #$!&@ Ben Franklin too.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby uncle milt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 pm

lowcountry wrote:The only caveat: If he's still sucking the donkey once the seasons change from "Regular" to "Post-", his ass best not even be on the roster.

if he "isn't", then it's more than likely chance- or dumb luck- then proof he's any good. two 1-2-3 innings changes nothing anymore.
Last edited by uncle milt on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uncle milt
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 pm

well those tickets i have for tuesday are back in the picture for being a day where they clinch the division.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby laf837 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 pm

lowcountry wrote:OK, maybe I've just gone soft, but ...

This division is clinched. This team is going to the playoffs.

Probably the biggest question left is whether or not Lidge can be the closer in October. So every day from here until the end of the season, Charlie should be figuring out the answer to that question.

Now, I think it's pretty clear. And everybody else thinks it's pretty clear. But I've got no beef with spending the next week trying to get his ass right, even if it costs a game or two or three.

The only caveat: If he's still sucking the donkey once the seasons change from "Regular" to "Post-", his ass best not even be on the roster.

I know you like to be the overly optimistic guy but really? Lidge does not deserve 1 more #$!&@ pitch on this team this year. He has/ had nothing
laf837
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby lowcountry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 pm

laf837 wrote:

Probably the biggest question left is whether or not Lidge can be the closer in October. So every day from here until the end of the season, Charlie should be figuring out the answer to that question.

Now, I think it's pretty clear. And everybody else thinks it's pretty clear. But I've got no beef with spending the next week trying to get his ass right, even if it costs a game or two or three.

The only caveat: If he's still sucking the donkey once the seasons change from "Regular" to "Post-", his ass best not even be on the roster.

I know you like to be the overly optimistic guy but really? Lidge does not deserve 1 more $#@! pitch on this team this year. He has/ had nothing

I thought I was the overly pessimistic one, actually.
lowcountry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby gpicaro » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 pm

It keeps getting said that the fans are soft this year because the Phillies won it all last year, but I think Charlie has gotten complacent way more than the fans have gotten soft. IMO Lidge does not get this #$!&@ enormously long leash if they didn't win last year. Charlie would be worrying more about his own job security.
gpicaro
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 pm

i agree with you the division the is clinched, but i don't need to see lidge trying to figure anything out anymore. as bottalico just said, who cares what he did last season? his season is done and he needs to start looking toward next year. i honestly didn't even look up from the article i was reading for the last few batters. i was only 8, but i don't think it even felt this way when mitch williams entered the game.
ReadingPhilly

Postby philliesphhan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't understand why Lidge and Charlie want us to hate them so much.
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan

Postby 702 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Phills just want to clinch the division at home. Why celebrate on the road? It's all...part of the plan.

Postby Barry Jive » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 pm

lowcountry wrote:
Bakestar wrote:We haven't clinched $#@! yet.

You're right. Atlanta could win out. Finish the year 12-0. And the Phils could pitch Lidge every day and finish 3-8.

Look, be pissed. That's cool. I get it.

But this division is decided and every move Charlie makes from here on out needs to be with the postseason in mind.

I'm sorry, did I miss the magic number dropping 2 without me noticing? This #$!&@ is not wrapped up yet. This is a joke. If anyone could #$!&@ this up, it's the Phillies.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
Barry Jive

Postby Titlehungry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 pm

ReadingPhilly wrote:i agree with you the division the is clinched, but i don't need to see lidge trying to figure anything out anymore. as bottalico just said, who cares what he did last season? his season is done and he needs to start looking toward next year. i honestly didn't even look up from the article i was reading for the last few batters. i was only 8, but i don't think it even felt this way when mitch williams entered the game.

Mitch was never as good as Lidge last year and never as bad as Lidge this year
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby bleh » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 pm

what. Have you been watching the last 6 months? What could he possibly do in two weeks that would outweigh 6 months of utter and complete suckitude? Charlie should drag him out behind the stadium and shoot him like Old Yeller
bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby lowcountry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Would I have lidge on the postseason roster now? No.
Would I pitch him in pretty much every save opportunity from now until the end of the year? Yes.

Why?

1. Because fixing him should be Priority 1, IMO. Now, whether or not that can be done in a week is a hell of an argument. But I've got no beef with a manager trying to salvage his closer when he's got a division lead of 7 in the loss column.

2. Because somebody's gotta close in the postseason. What are the alternatives?

Bert: Hurt and shelled lately

Madson: Seems to give up runs every time he goes out there. And my last impression of him in the postseason was Baldelli's bomb.

Park: Hurt
lowcountry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby drsmooth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

lowcountry wrote:I thought I was the overly pessimistic one, actually.

You ARE the overly pessimistic one. You've worked hard for that distinction; you've earned it fair & square. Who are these new guys?
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

if they don't win the division then they need to release the whole #$!&@ team. this thing is over.
ReadingPhilly

Postby MattS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

if lidge gets six more save opportunities this year, converts each one 1-2-3 and strikes out 9 of the 18 batters he faces, would you really think he's a better bet to close this offseason than madson, park, myers, walker, or eyre? honestly, all five of those guys i'd trust over him even if he gets 18 batters out in a row. that's 18 batters. he's had a whole year of not getting people out. there's nothing he could do to make bringing him in for a postseason save smart.

and the stupidest part about all of this is that if lidge does come in to a postseason game and blows the season and that cheats us out of a repeat, he will be hated so much more than discovering what he had and winning us a world series could ever generate love for him. if they DL'd him now, he'd ultimately go down as a legend who saved 2008 but failed to discover it in 2009 and didn't play a part in what happened. if they put him in there, he risks losing what he should be remembered for which is striking out hinske to end the drought. how is leaving him in there serving his goals?
MattS
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby gpicaro » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

ReadingPhilly wrote:i agree with you the division the is clinched, but i don't need to see lidge trying to figure anything out anymore. as bottalico just said, who cares what he did last season? his season is done and he needs to start looking toward next year. i honestly didn't even look up from the article i was reading for the last few batters. i was only 8, but i don't think it even felt this way when mitch williams entered the game.

I was 14 and it definitely felt this way. I knew Williams was giving up at least one run every time he came in that postseason. I think that's why this situation is making me so angry. It's so obvious that Lidge is going to cost the team the playoffs if he is left in. #$!&@ #$!&@ #$!&@
gpicaro
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:22 pm

lowcountry wrote:Would I have lidge on the postseason roster now? No.
Would I pitch him in pretty much every save opportunity from now until the end of the year? Yes.

Why?

1. Because fixing him should be Priority 1, IMO. Now, whether or not that can be done in a week is a hell of an argument. But I've got no beef with a manager trying to salvage his closer when he's got a division lead of 7 in the loss column.

Madson: Seems to give up runs every time he goes out there. And my last impression of him in the postseason was Baldelli's bomb.

no
ReadingPhilly

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:22 pm

lowcountry wrote:Would I have lidge on the postseason roster now? No.

Why?

Priority number one is fixing Brad Lidge when we haven't clinched the division or won the world series yet. Ok.
CalvinBall

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads