09/29/09: We. Got. This.

Postby Barry Jive » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey, let's win by more than three tomorrow.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Barry Jive wrote:Hey, let's win by more than three tomorrow.

Pedro no hitter :shock:
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby lowcountry » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 pm

mozartpc27 wrote:
Barry Jive wrote:Hey, let's win by more than three tomorrow.

Pedro no hitter :shock:

No, because that'll mean Charlie left him in for 160 pitches. I'll *settle* for four hits scattered over six innings.
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡GRAN EQUIPO, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!
lowcountry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby TenuredVulture » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Just got back from playing bridge wretchedly. Tonight's results perked me right up.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby EndlessSummer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Awesome game. I had to work late tonight and then my coworker/friend and I decided to catch the end of the game at Fox & Hound, since he's a diehard Twins fan. Didn't end well for him, but he's become a solid Phils fan so it was cool. $2 pints of all drafts at that place is an insane deal on Tuesdays. Pretty much sucks the other 6 days a week, though.
EndlessSummer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Good win, obviously, other than the loss of Moyer. We can only hope the shift of the recently injured are ready to step in as the newly injured clock out.

I have a lot more sympathy for Charlie's pitching decisions tonight than some. Clearly he was hoping Happ could make it through the sixth so that Moyer could pitch the 7th and 8th and Madson could close. But Happ couldn't get the last out and Moyer blew out his leg, so Madson had to enter in the 8th. Manuel obviously (and rightly) put a lot of importance on this game and I'm not sure the list of who Charlie trusts in the bullpen extended beyond Moyer and Madson tonight. It's hard to see who else should be added to the list. Once Madson is committed to pitching two innings, you have to have someone to relieve him if things get dicey, and it's probably someone you're bringing into a situation with men on base where a strikeout is needed. With all his faults, the reliever most likely to get a K in that situation is Lidge. (Also the most likely to give up a double off the wall, but so it goes). If Charlie lost, he wanted to lose with his best pitchers in place. It's not really his fault that the list of these is so short right now.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Every likely NL playoff team is 5-5 in its last ten games except the Rockies, who are 6-4.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm

swishnicholson wrote:Every likely NL playoff team is 5-5 in its last ten games except the Rockies, who are 6-4.

We'd play the Rockies if the playoffs started today.

They're way hotter than us.

Doomed.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Barry Jive » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:00 am

I have no idea who's healthy enough and good enough to make our playoff bullpen at this point.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
Barry Jive

Postby TheFrank » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:17 am

TheFrank
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby stevemc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:22 am

TheFrank wrote:Image

I was laughing at this dude last night. He was great (and drunk).

What happens if the Rockies are the wildcard and we tie the Cardinals in terms of record?
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bakestar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:40 am

stevemc wrote:
TheFrank wrote:Image

I was laughing at this dude last night. He was great (and drunk).

What happens if the Rockies are the wildcard and we tie the Cardinals in terms of record?

Phillies have the head-to-head record tiebreaker with the Cardinals, so the Phillies would get the Rockies in the first round (as far as I understand).

Essentially, for purposes of seeding, the Phillies are two games ahead of the Cardinals right now.
Foreskin stupid
Bakestar
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby GrizzledVeteran » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:12 am

I still don't understand why the wild card team can't play a team from the same division in the first round. It's ridiculous that Selig set this up solely for the purpose of seeing a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS every year.
This is a simple game. You throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball.
GrizzledVeteran
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bakestar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 am

GrizzledVeteran wrote:I still don't understand why the wild card team can't play a team from the same division in the first round. It's ridiculous that Selig set this up solely for the purpose of seeing a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS every year.

You understand perfectly.

Every scheduling curiosity and fluke in the game (no intradivision first round matchup, unbalanced schedule) is designed for the benefit of the Red Sox and Yankees.
Foreskin stupid
Bakestar
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby SideshowBob » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:21 am

GrizzledVeteran wrote:I still don't understand why the wild card team can't play a team from the same division in the first round. It's ridiculous that Selig set this up solely for the purpose of seeing a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS every year.

I'm pretty sure that rule has been around since the addition of the Wild Card, long before the Red Sox-Yankees hype was created. For example, in 1997, the Orioles had the best record in the AL but did not play the Yankees (the wild card) because they were in the same division.
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby phatj » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am

Wait, the Orioles made the playoffs?
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Mountainphan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:04 am

jerseyhoya wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Every likely NL playoff team is 5-5 in its last ten games except the Rockies, who are 6-4.

We'd play the Rockies if the playoffs started today.

They're way hotter than us.

Doomed.

Don't be fooled by the Rockies. They recently lost 2 out of 3 to the Padres at home and really aren't on the kind of roll they were on two years ago. Also, Jason Marquis has turned into Jason Marquis and their top starter (Jimenez) is not pitching well.

Their other big winner, Jorge de la Rosa, is a five-run inning waiting to happen.
Mountainphan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby LastTrain » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:05 am

swishnicholson wrote:Once Madson is committed to pitching two innings, you have to have someone to relieve him if things get dicey, and it's probably someone you're bringing into a situation with men on base where a strikeout is needed. With all his faults, the reliever most likely to get a K in that situation is Lidge. (Also the most likely to give up a double off the wall, but so it goes).

Can't get to B-R.com or another splits site right now, but I'm curious if Lidge has a meaningful K-rate differential between bases empty (when he somewhat unfashionably today for a reliever goes from the windup) and runners on.
LastTrain
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Trent Steele » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 am

LastTrain wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Once Madson is committed to pitching two innings, you have to have someone to relieve him if things get dicey, and it's probably someone you're bringing into a situation with men on base where a strikeout is needed. With all his faults, the reliever most likely to get a K in that situation is Lidge. (Also the most likely to give up a double off the wall, but so it goes).

Can't get to B-R.com or another splits site right now, but I'm curious if Lidge has a meaningful K-rate differential between bases empty (when he somewhat unfashionably today for a reliever goes from the windup) and runners on.

There is no metric in which he does not suck balls.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby bleh » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:12 am

bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads