NLDS 2009 Game 2 Thread

Postby Wolfgang622 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Everything will be fine. Doubt not.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby BigEd76 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:13 pm

but the Dodgers are gonna sweep their NLDS series while ours goes 4. No hope of winning WFC now....
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Wolfgang622 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:16 pm

BigEd76 wrote:but the Dodgers are gonna sweep their NLDS series while ours goes 4. No hope of winning WFC now....

Oh my God...

You're RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY #$!&@ GOD IT'S ALL OVER #$!&@ YOU CRUEL WORLD

;)
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm gonna hate tomorrow.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby Wolfgang622 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:23 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:I'm gonna hate tomorrow.

Time for relaxing, breathing deeply, forgetting today's disappointment. Trust in Pedro.

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby cartersDad26 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:26 pm

BigEd76 wrote:but the Dodgers are gonna sweep their NLDS series while ours goes 4. No hope of winning WFC now....

this - and chances of HFA for the NLCS slipping.
cartersDad26

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:26 pm

mozartpc27 wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:I'm gonna hate tomorrow.

Time for relaxing, breathing deeply, forgetting today's disappointment. Trust in Pedro.

I don't handle off days well. I gotta work on that.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby Harpua » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm not so bold as to put this on the worst sports writing thread, but this is over the top. Renck's a pro, but some of the word choice in the gamer is out-of-control silly.

To wit:
The Rockies led 5-3 entering the eighth, allowing manager Jim Tracy to unfold his arms and move pawns in a delightful chess game.

He went with right-hander Rafael Bentacourt against left-handers.

After Jayson Werth's home run shaved the deficit to 5-4 in the eighth, he trusted Franklin Morales to erase Raul Ibanez. Morales then warmed up to begin the ninth, a clever ploy to get the Phillies to burn pinch-hitter Ben Francisco.

Huston Street jogged in to retire Francisco, a strategic advantage over facing nemesis Matt Stairs to lead off the inning. Stairs walked — "He has four hits off me and all have cost me games," Street said — and Jimmy Rollins singled on 1-2 pitch, creating two-out drama worthy of a daytime soap.

In stepped Shane Victorino, who already owned three hits. How he achieved those set up the final out. And The Pitch. Torrealba cataloged the at-bats, remembered how Victorino had handled the sinker from Aaron Cook (five innings, three runs).

So when the count ran to 2-2, the plan was set. Second baseman Clint Barmes cheated to his left — "I knew what was coming," he would say later — and Street delivered a devilish 86-mph changeup.

So we've got a chess game, an erasure, a clever ploy, a nemesis, a poor daytime soap metaphor, a Needless Capitalization and an evil pitch. Bravo.
Harpua
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby 1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:38 pm

i pictured clint hurdle reading it out loud, and it made it that much worse
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby kruker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Son of a bitch.

Went to school real early so I could watch as much of the game live as possible. Ended up seeing until the pitching change in the bottom of the sixth then had to go to a meeting. Avoided all scores until I got back an hour or so ago and then watched the final innings.

I get trying to go all out for this game....kind of...but Blanton and Happ. That's putting a hell of a lot of confidence in Pedro being able to pitch in sub 40 degree weather. Unless Charlie knows that Saturday is getting canceled, I'd have booked Blanton for the start.
kruker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby HillMD » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:23 am

Harpua wrote:I'm not so bold as to put this on the worst sports writing thread, but this is over the top. Renck's a pro, but some of the word choice in the gamer is out-of-control silly.

To wit:
The Rockies led 5-3 entering the eighth, allowing manager Jim Tracy to unfold his arms and move pawns in a delightful chess game.

He went with right-hander Rafael Bentacourt against left-handers.

After Jayson Werth's home run shaved the deficit to 5-4 in the eighth, he trusted Franklin Morales to erase Raul Ibanez. Morales then warmed up to begin the ninth, a clever ploy to get the Phillies to burn pinch-hitter Ben Francisco.

Huston Street jogged in to retire Francisco, a strategic advantage over facing nemesis Matt Stairs to lead off the inning. Stairs walked — "He has four hits off me and all have cost me games," Street said — and Jimmy Rollins singled on 1-2 pitch, creating two-out drama worthy of a daytime soap.

In stepped Shane Victorino, who already owned three hits. How he achieved those set up the final out. And The Pitch. Torrealba cataloged the at-bats, remembered how Victorino had handled the sinker from Aaron Cook (five innings, three runs).

So when the count ran to 2-2, the plan was set. Second baseman Clint Barmes cheated to his left — "I knew what was coming," he would say later — and Street delivered a devilish 86-mph changeup.

So we've got a chess game, an erasure, a clever ploy, a nemesis, a poor daytime soap metaphor, a Needless Capitalization and an evil pitch. Bravo.

He really moved over right before that pitch? You kidding me?

I really did think it was going to be a hit if everyone was where they usually are. Unbelievable
HillMD
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:54 am

HillMD wrote:
Harpua wrote:To wit:

He really moved over right before that pitch? You kidding me?

I really did think it was going to be a hit if everyone was where they usually are. Unbelievable

Funny thing is, it wasn't some stroke of genius or hatched plan. Middle infielders do this all the time, position themselves according to what pitch and location is called. The key is to do so covertly as to not tip off the batter. Maybe the author is angling for a career as a soap opera writer.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby phorever » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:19 am

FTN wrote:Hes Pedro $#@! Martinez. Id trust him if we were playing game 3 on one of Jupiter's moons

if pedro comes through and the phils win game 3 and this series, i swear that smuggy gets immunity from me for the next 3 years, and all past baseball sins absolved. he got lee for game one and pedro for game 3, and the 5-game crap-shoot division series is where those two starts are most crucial.
phorever
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Wizlah » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:31 am

calmed down today. I don't think I was really that angry last night, just wound up to high doh following all the excitement of the last two innings.

Honestly, I think we'll beat them. I think Scott Eyre might be my new hero. Seems like he's throwing it all out there because he won't be back ever again. Can't fault it.
WFO-That face implies the bottle is destined for something nonstandard.
Woddy:to smash in her old face
WFO-You went to a dark place there friend.
---
JT - I've arguably been to a worse wedding. There was a cash bar
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby phorever » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:41 am

Wizlah wrote:calmed down today. I don't think I was really that angry last night, just wound up to high doh following all the excitement of the last two innings.

Honestly, I think we'll beat them. I think Scott Eyre might be my new hero. Seems like he's throwing it all out there because he won't be back ever again. Can't fault it.

hopefully, last night put karmic balance (back?) strongly in our favor. horrible babip luck including one that takes out a potention game 3 starter, superstar starting pitcher's wife goes into labor while he's on the mound.
the gawds have now paid us back for the whole third-order wins thing and can leave us alone.

getting the saturday night game replaced by a much more pleasant monday start time would be a great sign that the fates are smiling on us.
phorever
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Trent Steele » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:15 am

I had no problem with how Charlie managed yesterday. You need to manage to win the game in front of you and Blanton was a better choice that Durbin or whoever else in the 6th inning. I probably wouldn't have used Happ there, but I cant kill him for it.

Best case scenario is that tomorrow gets postponed so Lee can pitch Game 4 on full rest.

Game 3 starter? Doesn't much matter to me. I'd probably go Blanton, but I love me some Pedro.

I think it's funny that the Phils are the ones who are supposed to be worrying about starting pitchers the next two games. The Rockies are throwing out Jason Hammel and Jason Marquis. This is Andy Sonnnanstine Part II and III. Phils are going to ass pound them.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 am

3-game series now, with the first 2 in Denver.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Trent Steele » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:30 am

and I know Hamels needs to make a better pitch, but Ruiz should have his nuts cut off for calling for a 2 strike curveball to Torrealba
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:15 am

"Chess game" is really a terrible analogy. There's never a time in chess where you move a knight and it doesn't take the square you're moving it to.
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:25 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:"Chess game" is really a terrible analogy. There's never a time in chess where you move a knight and it doesn't take the square you're moving it to.

srly? I though king's knight out was always a solid 2nd move? So you never move your knight until later in the game when enemies are approaching?

I guess that's why a just-turned-7-year-old kicked my butt in checkers yesterday
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads