NLDS Game 4: The Fourth Game 10/12/09

Postby Woody » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:34 pm

philliesphhan wrote:I think you can't make contact with a fielder while he's trying to field the ball


that would be a pretty weak interference call, and I'm not even sure it would be one since Utley may have already had the ball in his possession when Fowler jumped over him.

Also, he never touched him:
Image
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 52094
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby mcare89 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:54 pm

philliesphhan wrote::shock: One of the invisible owners

John S. Middleton

Image

Wha, wha, wha?

Not only is Middleton alive, he's not fossilized, and he actually flew to Colorado to watch the game?

I like him.
User avatar
mcare89
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 11952
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Postby kimbatiste » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Isn't he the one who supposedly cares?
User avatar
kimbatiste
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor
 
Posts: 7104
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:32 pm

Postby mcare89 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 pm

kimbatiste wrote:Isn't he the one who supposedly cares?

I believe so, yes.
User avatar
mcare89
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 11952
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Postby lethal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:04 pm

mcare89 wrote:
kimbatiste wrote:Isn't he the one who supposedly cares?

I believe so, yes.


He owns Macintosh Inns or something, right?
User avatar
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja
 
Posts: 10345
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: zOMGWTFBBQ?

Postby Barry Jive » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:05 pm

He wants to spend lots of money and win lots of games. Apparently he's the fifth generation owner of one of his companies, and he's a Philadelphia native.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:06 pm

lethal wrote:
mcare89 wrote:
kimbatiste wrote:Isn't he the one who supposedly cares?

I believe so, yes.


He owns Macintosh Inns or something, right?


He sold his family's cigar business to Phillip Morris for like over $2B. This is probably why he keeps a low profile.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
User avatar
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 26096
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Baseball Heaven

Postby lethal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:06 pm

lethal wrote:
mcare89 wrote:
kimbatiste wrote:Isn't he the one who supposedly cares?

I believe so, yes.


He owns Macintosh Inns or something, right?


Nevermind, he owned a cigar company that Philip Morris (now Altria) bought.
User avatar
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja
 
Posts: 10345
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: zOMGWTFBBQ?

Postby lethal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:11 pm

lethal wrote:
lethal wrote:
mcare89 wrote:
kimbatiste wrote:Isn't he the one who supposedly cares?

I believe so, yes.


He owns Macintosh Inns or something, right?


Nevermind, he owned a cigar company that Philip Morris (now Altria) bought.


And he still heads the family business, which does own McIntosh Inns.
User avatar
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja
 
Posts: 10345
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: zOMGWTFBBQ?

Postby JFLNYC » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:19 pm

Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
User avatar
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 30154
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: Location, Location!

Postby Marion » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Lidge: "Who the hell is this guy?"
"I tell all kids not to use that word. If they're 29 and they win the World Series, I think they can say that.
But I definitely would say to all the kids out there, 'Kids, it's a bad word. Don't say it. And I'm dead serious.' "
User avatar
Marion
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 2989
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: It's a pillow, it's a pet. It's a pillow pet!

Postby philliesphhan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Interference calls in general can be pretty stupid. The only wording in the rulebook is you can't hinder a fielder from making a play on a batted ball. I'd say jumping over him would qualify, but I imagine it's also up to the umpire's interpretation.

I need Bucky's ruling on this.
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
User avatar
philliesphhan
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 34094
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: the corner of 1st and 1st

Postby PTOITWCFTPP » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Image

Legend
“I don’t coach losers, I only coach winners.” Mike Krzyzewski

"This is a normal collar. Move on. Find a new slant."
User avatar
PTOITWCFTPP
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 54968
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Postby lethal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 pm



Saw that earlier. Here is the longer article that I was looking for.
User avatar
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja
 
Posts: 10345
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: zOMGWTFBBQ?

Postby stevemc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Listening to the replay on Gameday audio. I want to hear Anderson bemoaning the momentum shift in the 8th and Franke's call of the 9th.
User avatar
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 7383
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Postby stevemc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:46 pm

stevemc wrote:Listening to the replay on Gameday audio. I want to hear Anderson bemoaning the momentum shift in the 8th and Franke's call of the 9th.


I love the Franzke & L.A. combo. Great stuff!
User avatar
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 7383
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Postby drsmooth » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Woody wrote:
philliesphhan wrote:I think you can't make contact with a fielder while he's trying to field the ball


that would be a pretty weak interference call, and I'm not even sure it would be one since Utley may have already had the ball in his possession when Fowler jumped over him.

Also, he never touched him:
[img]woddys_snapshot_from_the_grassy_knoll[/img]


You wouldn't believe how many times I clicked the 'start' button for that 'video clip'



:|

:-D

I agree, the 'touch' was light - but I want to see about 3 frames further on than your jpg shows. It looked like Fowler's left hand swung back & ever-so-slightly grazed utley's throwing shoulder.

& yest I'm still hung up over the zapruder film too
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
User avatar
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 47349
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Low station

Postby Bucky » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:23 pm

philliesphhan wrote:Interference calls in general can be pretty stupid. The only wording in the rulebook is you can't hinder a fielder from making a play on a batted ball. I'd say jumping over him would qualify, but I imagine it's also up to the umpire's interpretation.

I need Bucky's ruling on this.


Yep, it's umpire's discretion basically. Contact does not have to happen for interference to be ruled; accordingly, contact in and of itself does not constitute interference.
User avatar
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 50393
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: You_Still_Have_To_Visit_Us

Postby Woody » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 pm

drsmooth wrote:
Woody wrote:
philliesphhan wrote:I think you can't make contact with a fielder while he's trying to field the ball


that would be a pretty weak interference call, and I'm not even sure it would be one since Utley may have already had the ball in his possession when Fowler jumped over him.

Also, he never touched him:
[img]woddys_snapshot_from_the_grassy_knoll[/img]


You wouldn't believe how many times I clicked the 'start' button for that 'video clip'



:|

:-D

I agree, the 'touch' was light - but I want to see about 3 frames further on than your jpg shows. It looked like Fowler's left hand swung back & ever-so-slightly grazed utley's throwing shoulder.

& yest I'm still hung up over the zapruder film too


you can watch the whole thing on MLB.com. he never touched him with the left hand. Schlong maybe, but no hand
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 52094
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby drsmooth » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Bucky wrote:
philliesphhan wrote:I need Bucky's ruling on this.


Yep, it's umpire's discretion basically. Contact does not have to happen for interference to be ruled; accordingly, contact in and of itself does not constitute interference.


sure, NOW you tell us

:spam:
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
User avatar
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 47349
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Low station

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron