Game 1 NLCS Game Thread - Hamels v. Kershaw

Postby Bucky » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:05 am

Woody wrote:I dont' think that strike zone is the proper shape

Interesting point. It's defintitely not the strike zone as defined in the rule book, but probably close to what's normally considered the SZ by major league umps.

Or it's danny devito batting
Last edited by Bucky on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:05 am

these come from pitch f/x. basically what you see on gameday. i don't trust anything i see with the naked eye because the camera is off center.

there's some quibble with the SIZE of the strike zone in the top 2 maps. that they should probably be a little closer in. but overall its about right.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:06 am

Bucky wrote:Interesting point. It's defintitely not the strike zone as defined in the rule book, but probably close to what's normally considered the SZ by major league umps.

Or it's danny devito batting

the bottom link to brooks baseball has the normalized strike zone of the umpire that night. so you can see the rule book k zone and then what he was calling as a zone all night.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 am

I actually liked when they have the cameras dead center, you really get a feel for the velocity and movement of the pitches. (and can judge strikes better, obviously)
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 am

jamiethekiller wrote:
lethal wrote:I thought the plate ump had a small zone for both teams.

yea, seemed like he didn't want to call the low ball. but was consistent for both teams. the Beyondtheboxscore strike map had him as TERRIBLE ump. but he was solid i thought.

[img]reilly%20skews%20left[/img]
[img]reilly%20skews%20left%20again[/img]

conclusion: plate ump hangs left
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby traderdave » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 am

I thought he was solid as well. At the very least he had the same strike zone for both teams.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 am

jamiethekiller wrote:these come from pitch f/x. basically what you see on gameday. i don't trust anything i see with the naked eye because the camera is off center.

there's some quibble with the SIZE of the strike zone in the top 2 maps. that they should probably be a little closer in. but overall its about right.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't necessarily trust my naked eye, but I'm pretty sure Gameday often gets things up to two feet wrong.
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby philliesr98 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:37 am

yey team!
philliesr98
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:43 am

Mitch, when asked about Lidge: "Now I know why Phillies fans hated me."

ha
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 am

BigEd76 wrote:Mitch, when asked about Lidge: "Now I know why Phillies fans hated me."

ha

that was great.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby steven snell » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:51 am

TheDude24 wrote:Image

What is Joe doing to Charlie's neck?!

Vulcan Death Grip?
steven snell
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby steven snell » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 am

So I guess Cole has flown back to Philly already to be with Heidi and mope...
Chase ought to skewer him.
steven snell
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 am

he has not, has he? what if we need him to pinch run?
CalvinBall

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:57 am

The HP ump was Randy Marsh.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Fusilli Jerry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 am

Woody wrote:I actually liked when they have the cameras dead center, you really get a feel for the velocity and movement of the pitches. (and can judge strikes better, obviously)

Did anyone see this video on camera angles and the perception of pitch location? Pretty fascinating.
Fusilli Jerry
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby SideshowBob » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:39 am

CalvinBall wrote:he has not, has he? what if we need him to pinch run?

Or pinch hit -- he's probably a better choice than other pitching candidates? I guess the answer is that Lee will be the token pinch runner/pinch hitter if we need that. And, of course, we now have the General back on the roster.
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Wolfgang622 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 am

Fusilli Jerry wrote:
Woody wrote:I actually liked when they have the cameras dead center, you really get a feel for the velocity and movement of the pitches. (and can judge strikes better, obviously)

Did anyone see this video on camera angles and the perception of pitch location? Pretty fascinating.

You know, I - and I'm sure most of you - have realized for years that the camera angle is offset to the right when looking from behind the pitcher. I think I became aware of this when I was a relative youngster because of some old baseball highlight videos I have (This Year in Baseball 1986, Baseball's Funny Side Up), in which there is some footage of Yankees games before offset-to-the-right became the universal standard. At Yankee Stadium in the mid-1980s and before, at least some of their games were telecast using a centerfield camera offset to the left when looking from behind the pitcher. It's very disprienting when you first see it, but also helps to underscore the offset nature of the picture in the images that we are "used" to. I remember comparing and figuring this out years ago. If I think of it at some point, maybe I will try to capture a still image from one of these videos so you all can see what I am talking about.

For some reason, though, I never thought about the ramifications with respect to how pitch movement and ball/strike calls would appear. Very interesting video Fusilli; good stuff.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby drsmooth » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:00 am

I liked Jerry's vidclip, but who here has not always mentally adjusted for the camera offset, and bitched about poor calls accordingly - that is, only about the obviously, egregiously crappy calls?

People - and probably animals - have an extraordinary capacity to adjust to new & "inacccurate" visual inputs in a remarkably short time. I recall watching vid clips of people riding bicycles wearing glasses that vertically inverted their vision - of course I can't find any clips on that You Tube fad thing... :x
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:32 am

drsmooth wrote:

I liked Jerry's vidclip, but who here has not always mentally adjusted for the camera offset, and bitched about poor calls accordingly - that is, only about the obviously, egregiously crappy calls?

People - and probably animals - have an extraordinary capacity to adjust to new & "inacccurate" visual inputs in a remarkably short time. I recall watching vid clips of people riding bicycles wearing glasses that vertically inverted their vision - of course I can't find any clips on that You Tube fad thing... :x

Who cares? I'm gonna bitch whether it's justified or not. Compensate for camera angles? #$!&@ that.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby Bucky » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 pm

steven snell wrote:So I guess Cole has flown back to Philly already to be with Heidi and mope...
Chase ought to skewer him.

i hope you're kidding

please be joking

please
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads