NLCS Game 2: Who's Your Daddy? 10/16/09

Postby SideshowBob » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:06 pm

dajafi wrote:I'll admit that having won last year is giving me a different perspective on all this. It's like the pressure's off somehow. I said to my wife last night that it doesn't feel like I'm going to die if they lose the game.

I think I'm in that boat too. Last year, this would have probably been killing me more because I was so desperate to see the Phillies -- or at least on team I follow closely -- win a championship. But with the WFC already, I can be more rational and realistic. And the truth is that the Phillies have already had a great year -- they three-peated as division champs, they got past the first round. This is a successful year. Losing to the Dodgers -- a very good team with the best record in the NL -- isn't a shame even if how we got there is annoying.

Still, we're in good shape and we've gotten our share of breaks in the past few series (and the regular season in 2007/8 too). We're just not going to be lucky every single game. Sometimes the luck goes to the opponent.
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:13 pm

SideshowBob wrote:
dajafi wrote:I'll admit that having won last year is giving me a different perspective on all this. It's like the pressure's off somehow. I said to my wife last night that it doesn't feel like I'm going to die if they lose the game.

I think I'm in that boat too. Last year, this would have probably been killing me more because I was so desperate to see the Phillies -- or at least on team I follow closely -- win a championship. But with the WFC already, I can be more rational and realistic. And the truth is that the Phillies have already had a great year -- they three-peated as division champs, they got past the first round. This is a successful year. Losing to the Dodgers -- a very good team with the best record in the NL -- isn't a shame even if how we got there is annoying.

Still, we're in good shape and we've gotten our share of breaks in the past few series (and the regular season in 2007/8 too). We're just not going to be lucky every single game. Sometimes the luck goes to the opponent.

For me, last year makes me want this year even more. I want that feeling again. I want another celebration.

This loss sucked.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Bucky » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Get 'em Sunday boys
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby HillMD » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:23 pm

ReadingPhilly wrote:
HillMD wrote:
jerseyhoya wrote:
HillMD wrote:Manuel said he thought Pedro was spent and done. He really proved that with the one hard hit ball he gave up.

The last out was hit to the warning track, no?

Yeah, that's the one

yeah. i wouldn't trust the people that are with him all the time and have seen every pitch of every side session he's thrown since his last start.

I don't buy that idea. There is no way they somehow knew that he would implode in the 8th against the back end of their lineup. He also has too much confidence in Happ to bring him in the situation in which he was, but there's nothing that can be done. I don't mind that they lost this game, but feel bad that they not only wasted that great start from Martinez, but also cut it short (IMO).
HillMD
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby CFP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:44 pm

There's no way Utley is healthy. The awful throws, the dipping BA the last three weeks of the year, using different weighted bats that weren't his own (very non-Utleyish). I wouldn't be shocked if he's hurt. I hope he isn't. But I wouldn't be shocked.
CFP
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby HillMD » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:48 pm

CFP wrote:There's no way Utley is healthy. The awful throws, the dipping BA the last three weeks of the year, using different weighted bats that weren't his own (very non-Utleyish). I wouldn't be shocked if he's hurt. I hope he isn't. But I wouldn't be shocked.

I definitely would not be surprised if his hip was hurt. Actually, the more I think about it...

If your hip was sore, it would be difficult to execute the hip torque needed to turn double plays, which would cause the throw to sail to the right.
HillMD
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Bucky » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:53 pm

There's no way in hell he's NOT hurt
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:00 pm

HillMD wrote:
CFP wrote:There's no way Utley is healthy. The awful throws, the dipping BA the last three weeks of the year, using different weighted bats that weren't his own (very non-Utleyish). I wouldn't be shocked if he's hurt. I hope he isn't. But I wouldn't be shocked.

I definitely would not be surprised if his hip was hurt. Actually, the more I think about it...

If your hip was sore, it would be difficult to execute the hip torque needed to turn double plays, which would cause the throw to sail to the right.

hip, back, something - all the balls arm-hit to dead left field
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:59 am

Ten previous times since the LCS went to best-of-seven, a team had lost the first two games at home. Those teams went 0-10 in those series. And that ain't good.

But when the home team splits those first two games, it's officially alive and well. That has happened 26 previous times -- and those teams have gone 16-10 in those series. So do that math: 0-and-10 versus 16-and-10. Get the picture?
FTN
list sheriff

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:01 am

Stop being a whiny girl. Why should we care about losing today? It was just one game. We won last year.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby WilliamC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 am

The law of oddities requires that to change to 16-11.

Joe Torre sucks dicks. Just wanted to throw that into the mix.
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:03 am

jerseyhoya wrote:Stop being a whiny girl. Why should we care about losing today? It was just one game. We won last year.

Sorry.

I know we were just unlucky today.

Ill go for a unicorn ride tomorrow and everything will be forgotten. If you don't love games like today's game, then you just don't love baseball
FTN
list sheriff

Postby WilliamC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:06 am

FTN wrote:
jerseyhoya wrote:Stop being a whiny girl. Why should we care about losing today? It was just one game. We won last year.

Sorry.

I know we were just unlucky today.

If you don't love games like today's game, then you just don't love baseball

That's actually a pretty good statement. It was a GREAT game and I think it will be a great series. It sucks coming up short in a game like that. It really is painful.

I don't understand the appeal of a unicorn. I would shoot one if I seen it out being all cool with its horn.

I don't love the result but I loved watching the game up until the final out.
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby dajafi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:33 am

dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Benny Lava » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:43 am

I really doubt that the Phils lose this series. The only time the Dodgers could do anything all day was after a play that Feliz usually makes, a bunt that was just total luck, and a crazy error from Utley. Any one of those things don't happen, the Dodgers are still holding their dicks in hand. It took just about every break they could possibly get, and that was the only inning that they could do anything offensively.
Benny Lava
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby ReadingPhilly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:59 pm

utley played with one hip last year and was a god. i don't want to hear any excuses that his hip hurts for him not being able to throw the ball properly.
ReadingPhilly

Postby FTN » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:41 pm

His footwork was terrible. He didn't come off the bag and throw it properly, he basically just made a slinging motion off his back foot. Utley knows better. Now everything thinks hes got the yips.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Woody » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:02 pm

He didn't really even pivot his body, he looked like a robot. Very odd
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Woody wrote:He didn't really even pivot his body, he looked like a robot. Very odd

well, he might be a robot. he does have a metal hip labrum
FTN
list sheriff

Postby GrizzledVeteran » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Shoulder problem maybe?
This is a simple game. You throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball.
GrizzledVeteran
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Previous

Return to 2009 Game Threads