NLCS Game 3 GDT: Complete Domination

Postby SideshowBob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 am

TomatoPie wrote:I was just delighted by all the deep counts and plate discipline I saw last night.

Sure, I'm delighted by it too... because it meant the Phillis were doing exactly what they are doing all the time. The team has shown excellent plate discipline all year and it's a big part of why they lead the league in runs.

As an aside on that note, is anyone else tired of talking heads mention that the Dodgers "lead the league in hitting"? I've heard folks on both MLBN and TBS say it multiple times even though the Phillies lead the league in runs scored by a solid margin. I mean, is the media still so unenlightened that they consider BA to equal "hitting". If you mean highest average, say "highest average".
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:15 am

It drove me nuts, Bob.
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 am

They play 27 outs, you know
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Dude » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am

I heard that about them. Pretty #$!&@ inspirational.

What was the Rays' stupid thing last year? It was like 11=9 or something
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 am

Now that you mention it, one of the things I like most about last year's team and this is that they have no slogan.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby robhinkle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

The Dude wrote:I heard that about them. Pretty $#@! inspirational.

Their thing last year was 9=8, meaning 9 players playing 9 innings would get them one of the 8 postseason spots.
robhinkle
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 am

20 players wearing fauxhawks and 10,000 fans with cowbells would get their asses beat in the World Series
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phatj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 am

TomatoPie wrote:Fair to say that Rollins and Vic are undisciplined?

Rollins, maybe -- he had a decent walk rate the last few seasons before it went to crap this year. He's turned into a 6- or 7-hole hitter miscast as a leadoff guy.

Victorino though has morphed into a nearly ideal leadoff man -- solid batting average and walk rate, with good extra-base power (but not so much that it's wasted at the top of the lineup).

TomatoPie wrote:Regarding "game smarts" -- seems like Utley has a lot, Victorino, a lot less. On target?

You'll have to clarify what you mean by game smarts. All players make the occasional brain fart -- of all current Phillies, I'd say Jayson Werth is most prone to this, but it's really impossible to point to specific events to say why. Victorino has made a couple of obvious baserunning gaffes in the past that may be sticking in your mind, but I don't think overall he's lacking in baseball smarts.

Chase seems to be a pretty heady player -- that fake to first, throw home in the World Series was one of the most brilliant plays I've ever seen a baseball player make. I guess I would say that he has pretty great baseball smarts.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Bakestar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:01 am

robhinkle wrote:
The Dude wrote:I heard that about them. Pretty $#@! inspirational.

Their thing last year was 9=8, meaning 9 players playing 9 innings would get them one of the 8 postseason spots.

Even though technically, they only qualify for two playoff spots (AL East or AL Wild Card).
Foreskin stupid
Bakestar
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks larry l.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby mcare89 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

Mountainphan wrote:With all due respect TP, suggesting this team doesn't have "game smarts" could be one of the silliest things I've read here in awhile.

Right up there with Cliff Lee hating latinos.

(That one's true though)
mcare89
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby dajafi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am

TomatoPie wrote:
Mountainphan wrote:With all due respect TP, suggesting this team doesn't have "game smarts" could be one of the silliest things I've read here in awhile.

I'm all ears, convince me.

I think any fan that watches one team more than any other, or all others put together, is going to focus on what s/he perceives as the characteristic flaws of that team. Most of us have groused about the Phillies' occasional problems stranding runners; some more specific circumstances, such as a leadoff double or man on third/one out are especially likely to elicit a "DOOMED!" remark. But if you look at the numbers, hitting with RISP is a strength of this team, not a weakness.

The suggestion that the Phils comparatively lack "game smarts" (even before we get into how that's defined, as to which I have no idea) only holds up if you can make a strong case that other teams have more. But just in this year's playoffs thus far, we've seen the Twins run themselves out of innings and take bad approaches with guys on base in others and the Angels play awful defense. Those two teams are supposedly all about fundamentals and "doing the little things."

Victorino does dumb stuff more often than I'd like. But he's one guy, and it's likely that his aggression on balance does more good than harm. Against that, you have Utley, Ibanez, Ruiz et al, who I think show pretty strong awareness on the field.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 am

You know who was dumb? Rowand.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby joe table » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:57 am

TenuredVulture wrote:You know who was dumb? Rowand.

He played too hard to think.
joe table
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 pm

According to Wikipedia, Rollins has a cerebral approach to the game with a near photographic memory for pitchers. I think he's an intelligent baserunner, but I don't see much evidence of a cerebral approach at the plate.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby slugsrbad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:19 pm

This is an error.
Last edited by slugsrbad on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slugsrbad

Postby slugsrbad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:20 pm

I may be pulling this out of my poop shoot, but I could have sworn hearing that the Phillies take more pitches per AB than any other team? I'm not a stats guy, so can someone either cal me a BSer or corroborate? Then again, that would prove their lack of smarts since it takes them more pitches to realize they are batting :lol:
slugsrbad

Postby SideshowBob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:30 pm

slugsrbad wrote:I may be pulling this out of my poop shoot, but I could have sworn hearing that the Phillies take more pitches per AB than any other team? I'm not a stats guy, so can someone either cal me a BSer or corroborate? Then again, tha

Werth lead all of baseball (or at least all of the NL) in terms of pitches per PA. I'm not sure if the team as a whole did.
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joe table » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:31 pm

slugsrbad wrote:I may be pulling this out of my poop shoot, but I could have sworn hearing that the Phillies take more pitches per AB than any other team? I'm not a stats guy, so can someone either cal me a BSer or corroborate? Then again, that would prove their lack of smarts since it takes them more pitches to realize they are batting :lol:

They were t-4 in the NL in P/PA at 3.87 as a team in the reg season.

Werth though is #1 in the NL at 4.5

Werth 4.5, Utley/Howard/Ibanez 4.1, Ruiz 4.0, Rollins 3.6, Vic 3.5, Feliz 3.3 (shocking)
joe table

Postby The Marty Show » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.
Charlie: "I tell our guys, 'champions can play anywhere."
Sun's up, lights out!
The Marty Show
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads