NLCS Game 3 GDT: Complete Domination

Postby TheFrank » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 pm

The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.


Boston Garden is where the chant originated. I think that's what he meant.
User avatar
TheFrank
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Oppo boppo

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 pm

So that's why he's on the roster
Image
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 52094
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:48 pm

(He's not on the roster)
User avatar
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 93252
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Southwest DC

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:50 pm

No, I meant like, on the Phillies. In general. Period. A "major league baseball player".
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 52094
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby TheFrank » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm

That coffee is being double FISTED

/Chip Caray
User avatar
TheFrank
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Oppo boppo

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:53 pm

I think their in house counsel probably told them they can't trade or waive him because they might be civilly liable for a loss of earnings caused by damaging his confidence with the fake trade prank.
User avatar
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 93252
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Southwest DC

Postby Bucky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow! My buddy was one seat away from the "magic bullet"!!! And he rubs "the velvet jacket" during the spot- too funny!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?affi ... id=7068571
User avatar
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 50393
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: You_Still_Have_To_Visit_Us

Postby Grotewold » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Woody wrote:So that's why he's on the roster


That and keeping Werth in clean piss
User avatar
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 48067
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:40 am

Postby steven snell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 pm

TheFrank wrote:
The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.


Boston Garden is where the chant originated. I think that's what he meant.


It originated in Boston Garden when the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in '83 to go on to play LA in the finals. The Celt fans hated the Lakers so much they were encouragin the sixers to beat em...
User avatar
steven snell
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:51 am

Postby Didn't I? » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:26 pm

steven snell wrote:
TheFrank wrote:
The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.


Boston Garden is where the chant originated. I think that's what he meant.


It originated in Boston Garden when the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in '83 to go on to play LA in the finals. The Celt fans hated the Lakers so much they were encouragin the sixers to beat em...


I believe you are correct. Complete with youtubes.
​​"Big Dick Nick stepped the #$!&@ up." - An Eagles fan with an eye patch
User avatar
Didn't I?
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: your mother's basement

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:46 pm

JFLNYC wrote:Now that you mention it, one of the things I like most about last year's team and this is that they have no slogan.

If they do, it can't be publicized because of FCC censorship laws :idea:
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
User avatar
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Postby bleh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Bucky wrote:Wow! My buddy was one seat away from the "magic bullet"!!! And he rubs "the velvet jacket" during the spot- too funny!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?affi ... id=7068571

epic.
User avatar
bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: South Jersey Likes:1,000,000,000

Postby Bucky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm

bleh wrote:
Bucky wrote:Wow! My buddy was one seat away from the "magic bullet"!!! And he rubs "the velvet jacket" during the spot- too funny!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?affi ... id=7068571

epic.


I know, right? I missed a call from him at 9:58PM (stupid phone was still on vibrate from being at my wife's concert in the afternoon) so he was probably telling me to look for him since velvet man was settling in next to him.....
User avatar
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 50393
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: You_Still_Have_To_Visit_Us

Postby Bucky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm

JFLNYC wrote:
HillMD wrote:I doubt he's hurt now. The more difficult the play the less time you have to think about it, hence the good throw to second.


Ding, ding!


I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with this. Well, actually the thesis that this example is supposed to be supporting.

Turning a double play is just about one of the most "not think about it" plays a middle infielder can make. I've done it a time or 945 myself. You're worrying about your footwork to get the bag, setting up to where you think the throw my take you, and the oncoming runner. The turn and throw is the last thing on your mind- that's why you practice it a million times.

in short, I don't believe at all that a blown throw on w DP turn can be the result of something in your head.
User avatar
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 50393
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: You_Still_Have_To_Visit_Us

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Bucky wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:
HillMD wrote:I doubt he's hurt now. The more difficult the play the less time you have to think about it, hence the good throw to second.


Ding, ding!


I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with this. Well, actually the thesis that this example is supposed to be supporting.

Turning a double play is just about one of the most "not think about it" plays a middle infielder can make. I've done it a time or 945 myself. You're worrying about your footwork to get the bag, setting up to where you think the throw my take you, and the oncoming runner. The turn and throw is the last thing on your mind- that's why you practice it a million times.

in short, I don't believe at all that a blown throw on w DP turn can be the result of something in your head.

IIRC, didn't that infamous throw sorta sail, as in not a mental thing but probably a grip thing?

I say "IIRC" because I haven't dwelled on that play (or that game) because, you know, we shouldn't (probably the best way to put it).
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
User avatar
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Postby JFLNYC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Bucky wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:
HillMD wrote:I doubt he's hurt now. The more difficult the play the less time you have to think about it, hence the good throw to second.


Ding, ding!


I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with this. Well, actually the thesis that this example is supposed to be supporting.

Turning a double play is just about one of the most "not think about it" plays a middle infielder can make. I've done it a time or 945 myself. You're worrying about your footwork to get the bag, setting up to where you think the throw my take you, and the oncoming runner. The turn and throw is the last thing on your mind- that's why you practice it a million times.

in short, I don't believe at all that a blown throw on w DP turn can be the result of something in your head.


Hopefully you're right and the whole thing is a non-issue.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
User avatar
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 30154
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: Location, Location!

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Didn't I? wrote:
steven snell wrote:
TheFrank wrote:
The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.


Boston Garden is where the chant originated. I think that's what he meant.


It originated in Boston Garden when the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in '83 to go on to play LA in the finals. The Celt fans hated the Lakers so much they were encouragin the sixers to beat em...


I believe you are correct. Complete with youtubes.



Yes, I remember that. At the time, it actually made me like Celtics' fans a little.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
User avatar
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 24557
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Music City

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:47 pm

joe table wrote:
slugsrbad wrote:I may be pulling this out of my poop shoot, but I could have sworn hearing that the Phillies take more pitches per AB than any other team? I'm not a stats guy, so can someone either cal me a BSer or corroborate? Then again, that would prove their lack of smarts since it takes them more pitches to realize they are batting :lol:


They were t-4 in the NL in P/PA at 3.87 as a team in the reg season.

Werth though is #1 in the NL at 4.5

Werth 4.5, Utley/Howard/Ibanez 4.1, Ruiz 4.0, Rollins 3.6, Vic 3.5, Feliz 3.3 (shocking)



Imagine how good it would be if they had been able to get Youkilis for Abreu a few years ago. Replace Feliz with Youkilis and it goes up a decent amount.

I think they led the league last year, so maybe the dropoff this year is what people are noticing.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
User avatar
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 24557
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Music City

Postby The Marty Show » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Didn't I? wrote:
steven snell wrote:
TheFrank wrote:
The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.


Boston Garden is where the chant originated. I think that's what he meant.


It originated in Boston Garden when the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in '83 to go on to play LA in the finals. The Celt fans hated the Lakers so much they were encouragin the sixers to beat em...


I believe you are correct. Complete with youtubes.


Hey, thanks for that. I know Phillies phans were doing it in the '83 LCS, but I thought it may have been older. Still I doubt the announcer knew the history and that Phillies phans have been doing it as well since '83.
Charlie: "I tell our guys, 'champions can play anywhere."
Sun's up, lights out!
User avatar
The Marty Show
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:56 pm
Location: Out of Philly, PA

Previous

Return to 2009 Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest