NLCS Game 3 GDT: Complete Domination

Postby TheFrank » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 pm

The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.

Boston Garden is where the chant originated. I think that's what he meant.
TheFrank
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 pm

So that's why he's on the roster
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:48 pm

(He's not on the roster)
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:50 pm

No, I meant like, on the Phillies. In general. Period. A "major league baseball player".
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TheFrank » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm

That coffee is being double FISTED

/Chip Caray
TheFrank
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:53 pm

I think their in house counsel probably told them they can't trade or waive him because they might be civilly liable for a loss of earnings caused by damaging his confidence with the fake trade prank.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow! My buddy was one seat away from the "magic bullet"!!! And he rubs "the velvet jacket" during the spot- too funny!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?affi ... id=7068571
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Woody wrote:So that's why he's on the roster

That and keeping Werth in clean piss
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby steven snell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 pm

TheFrank wrote:
The Marty Show wrote:Looked back through the thread and didn't see this. Did anyone else hear clueless national announcer guy say how CBP sounds like the Boston Garden? Umm, excuse me but we've been chanting "Beat LA" for over 30 years now. F Boston, F NY, F LA and F all the media hype sports world-revolves-around crap.

It originated in Boston Garden when the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in '83 to go on to play LA in the finals. The Celt fans hated the Lakers so much they were encouragin the sixers to beat em...
steven snell
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Didn't I? » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:26 pm

steven snell wrote:
TheFrank wrote:

It originated in Boston Garden when the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in '83 to go on to play LA in the finals. The Celt fans hated the Lakers so much they were encouragin the sixers to beat em...

I believe you are correct. Complete with youtubes.
​​"Big Dick Nick stepped the #$!&@ up." - An Eagles fan with an eye patch
Didn't I?
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:46 pm

JFLNYC wrote:Now that you mention it, one of the things I like most about last year's team and this is that they have no slogan.

If they do, it can't be publicized because of FCC censorship laws :idea:
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby bleh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Bucky wrote:Wow! My buddy was one seat away from the "magic bullet"!!! And he rubs "the velvet jacket" during the spot- too funny!!!

epic.
bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm

bleh wrote:
Bucky wrote:Wow! My buddy was one seat away from the "magic bullet"!!! And he rubs "the velvet jacket" during the spot- too funny!!!

epic.

I know, right? I missed a call from him at 9:58PM (stupid phone was still on vibrate from being at my wife's concert in the afternoon) so he was probably telling me to look for him since velvet man was settling in next to him.....
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm

JFLNYC wrote:
HillMD wrote:I doubt he's hurt now. The more difficult the play the less time you have to think about it, hence the good throw to second.

Ding, ding!

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with this. Well, actually the thesis that this example is supposed to be supporting.

Turning a double play is just about one of the most "not think about it" plays a middle infielder can make. I've done it a time or 945 myself. You're worrying about your footwork to get the bag, setting up to where you think the throw my take you, and the oncoming runner. The turn and throw is the last thing on your mind- that's why you practice it a million times.

in short, I don't believe at all that a blown throw on w DP turn can be the result of something in your head.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Bucky wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:
HillMD wrote:I doubt he's hurt now. The more difficult the play the less time you have to think about it, hence the good throw to second.

Ding, ding!

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with this. Well, actually the thesis that this example is supposed to be supporting.

Turning a double play is just about one of the most "not think about it" plays a middle infielder can make. I've done it a time or 945 myself. You're worrying about your footwork to get the bag, setting up to where you think the throw my take you, and the oncoming runner. The turn and throw is the last thing on your mind- that's why you practice it a million times.

in short, I don't believe at all that a blown throw on w DP turn can be the result of something in your head.

IIRC, didn't that infamous throw sorta sail, as in not a mental thing but probably a grip thing?

I say "IIRC" because I haven't dwelled on that play (or that game) because, you know, we shouldn't (probably the best way to put it).
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Bucky wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:

Ding, ding!

Hopefully you're right and the whole thing is a non-issue.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Didn't I? wrote:
steven snell wrote:
TheFrank wrote:

Yes, I remember that. At the time, it actually made me like Celtics' fans a little.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:47 pm

joe table wrote:
slugsrbad wrote:I may be pulling this out of my poop shoot, but I could have sworn hearing that the Phillies take more pitches per AB than any other team? I'm not a stats guy, so can someone either cal me a BSer or corroborate? Then again, that would prove their lack of smarts since it takes them more pitches to realize they are batting :lol:

They were t-4 in the NL in P/PA at 3.87 as a team in the reg season.

Werth though is #1 in the NL at 4.5

Werth 4.5, Utley/Howard/Ibanez 4.1, Ruiz 4.0, Rollins 3.6, Vic 3.5, Feliz 3.3 (shocking)

Imagine how good it would be if they had been able to get Youkilis for Abreu a few years ago. Replace Feliz with Youkilis and it goes up a decent amount.

I think they led the league last year, so maybe the dropoff this year is what people are noticing.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Marty Show » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Didn't I? wrote:
steven snell wrote:
TheFrank wrote:

Hey, thanks for that. I know Phillies phans were doing it in the '83 LCS, but I thought it may have been older. Still I doubt the announcer knew the history and that Phillies phans have been doing it as well since '83.
Charlie: "I tell our guys, 'champions can play anywhere."
Sun's up, lights out!
The Marty Show
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Previous

Return to 2009 Game Threads