World Series 2009 Game 2 Thread

Postby TheDude24 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:15 am

Fusilli Jerry wrote:I just watched Anthony Gargano and Joe Staszak reporting from Yankee Stadium on Fox29.

I wish I hadn't.

Joe essentially upset that the Phillies weren't breaking crap up in the clubhouse after the loss.

Yeah, the Phillies mentality is "Eh. We're going to win the next game so why get upset tonight?"
TheDude24
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby LongDrive » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:24 am

I feel like I did after the Phils lost Game 2 to L.A. in the NLCS. LIKE #$!&@!
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby LongDrive » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:31 am

Fusilli Jerry wrote:I just watched Anthony Gargano and Joe Staszak reporting from Yankee Stadium on Fox29.

I wish I hadn't.

Joe essentially upset that the Phillies weren't breaking crap up in the clubhouse after the loss.

I guess he didn't hear Howards F-BOMB and reaction after the lame called 3rd strike on him in the 9th. To be honest, I think the Phils looked plenty pissed, especially Rollins, late in the game.
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:14 am

looking at the pitch f/x of this game and the phillies got completely hosed by the homeplate umpire.

utley grounded out on a pitch that was close to where it was a called strike. first pitch was a ball called a strike. felt compelled he had to swing at a ball. result was a DP.

howard was called out on the same pitch that was being given to utley as a strike.

but burnett, jesus christ. talk about giving the guy every call in the world.

jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:39 am

Yeah that's two games in a row that Utley got bad calls on outside pitches at crucial points in the count. Glad it didn't hurt us Game 1.

That said, the Yankees completely deserved that win. Burnett was absurd. I have faith in Cole & Co. to get us back on track.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Trent Steele » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 am

Grotewold wrote:Yeah that's two games in a row that Utley got bad calls on outside pitches at crucial points in the count. Glad it didn't hurt us Game 1.

That said, the Yankees completely deserved that win. Burnett was absurd. I have faith in Cole & Co. to get us back on track.

This.

The ump wasnt great but the Phillies didnt hit a ball hard until Ibanez's double in the 9th. They were dominated. No big deal.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 am

Also, I don't know if it was just a relief that Burnett was out, but Rivera looked completely ordinary to me. I only counted two or three pitches with significant movement. Hopefully that's not a wasted opportunity but a trend.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 am

i thought ruiz's double was pretty hard hit.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby drsmooth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:10 am

Grotewold wrote:Also, I don't know if it was just a relief that Burnett was out, but Rivera looked completely ordinary to me. I only counted two or three pitches with significant movement. Hopefully that's not a wasted opportunity but a trend.

May have looked that way b/c he threw 39 pitches.

Damned off-days. You know Girardi's thinking "howzabout if I just go ahead & bring in mr. reliable in the 6th inning while I'm at it?"

Calvin you're right, Chooch socked that double, but it followed Ibanez' hit, & Trent was all "until", so
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 am

it did? oh. im getting all confused.

he said the one in the 9th. the one in the 2nd was hit down the line and not hit really hard.
Last edited by CalvinBall on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalvinBall

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:13 am

why is there no baseball today i'm shaking over here
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:20 am

CalvinBall wrote:it did? oh. im getting all confused.

he said the one in the 9th. the one in the 2nd was hit down the line and not hit really hard.

quite right you are - I flat missed the " in the 9th" part

STEELE, YOU HACK
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:32 am

Post-game Teixshrerera was annoyingly not annoying
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:33 am

Grotewold wrote:Post-game Teixshrerera was annoyingly not annoying

NOSTRILS
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:34 am

Oh I switch him down to 240p
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby philliesr98 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:39 am

I don't like Mariano Rivera

He has one pitch that he throws 91 miles per hour. Batters can't square up on it cause it cuts a little different everytime.

And umpires stroke him off with the strike zone he gets. Not just last night, it wasn't even that bad. But on a consistent basis he gets strike calls that no one else does, can't wait to see more of him in this series... balls
None of you have probably ever eaten steak with me or rice and beans with me to understand what the man is about. -pedro
philliesr98
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby traderdave » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 am

I think almost everybody here has the right attitude and I am glad to see it. Burnett was just absolutely Cliff Lee-ish last night and that is the way it goes. He was getting pitches without question but the Phillies need to be able to adjust to that. Matsui's homer was absolutely ridiculous.

Things that did bother me a bit were (i) Martinez still pitching in the seventh; (ii) Phillies hitters' apparent inability to recognize that Burnett was throwing his CB to the outside corner to LHB once he got to two strikes; (iii) Feliz and Ruiz continuing to swing at the first pitch; (iv) Werth getting picked off first and (v) Rollins and Victorino not running with the full count on Utley in the eighth.

And I agree with the Rivera posts above; I thought he looked very hittable last night. While I was disappointed with the loss last night I am in no way worried about the ultimate outcome of this series. Our boys just need to be patient with Pettitte tomorrow night.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 am

This is what we do, win in five. Daulton has seen it, thy will be done
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 am

philliesr98 wrote:I don't like Mariano Rivera

He has one pitch that he throws 91 miles per hour. Batters can't square up on it cause it cuts a little different everytime.

And umpires stroke him off with the strike zone he gets. Not just last night, it wasn't even that bad. But on a consistent basis he gets strike calls that no one else does, can't wait to see more of him in this series... balls

I really thought we were gonna get at him for a couple of runs in the 8th last night. That run in the bottom of the 7th was killer.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby lethal » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 am

Rococo4 wrote:
BigEd76 wrote:"UTLEY WAS SAFE"

showalter on espn, did point out that victorino was way out of baseline, which he def was

I thought they should have called interference.
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Game Threads