Thoughts: A Random Odyssey

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm

any one that lets you use any freaking ATM you want to. i have wachovia still and it pisses me off i have to go to a wachovia atm to get money or be charged.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

CalvinBall wrote:any one that lets you use any freaking ATM you want to. i have wachovia still and it pisses me off i have to go to a wachovia atm to get money or be charged.

I can't believe anyone stays with a bank that doesn't let you use whatever ATM without charging an additional fee on top of the ATM's fee.
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 pm

CFP wrote:What's a good credit and/or debit card to go after for a college student? I've never had one before and was wondering what those out there would suggest.

None?

I figured debit cards were pretty much automatic with any bank account these days. Heck, I had an ATM card way back in the 80s when I was in college, but you pretty much could only use it at the bank's ATM Machine.

Debit cards and credit card in my view are different from each other. For certain activities, they're pretty interchangeable, assuming you've got the money for what you plan to do. But for a couple of things--car rentals and hotel stays come to mind--you probably want to avoid using a debit card, because even if the room charge is only say $75, they're going to have you pay for "incidentals" like video games, the honor bar, and room damage up front, which at one cheap motel I recently stayed at was $150. The money will be put back in your account, of course. Eventually.

More seriously, being all paternalistic here, I'd go with either a pre-paid deal, or one with a small credit line like $1000, where even if you foolishly max it out you're not in a huge financial hole.

Also, there's no reason to get a card that has any kind of annual fee attached, no matter what kind of reward program you think you're getting. You shouldn't be charging so much that the rewards amount to much anyway.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:23 pm

people say we monkey around
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

My mom woke me up at 7:15 this morning because the side gate was open so our dogs got out when she let them out into the backyard. I was up till about 4:30 reading last night because I couldn't sleep, and am quite tired at the moment. Also I do not have the joys of fatherhood to counterbalance the sleepiness.

My life is so challenging. I think I might take a nap.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Barry Jive » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Originally Kelis was supposed to be on Fallon last night but she got stuck in Miami so Squeeze replaced her. But all the kids behind the stage were there to see Kelis so they had no idea what was going on.

The piano solo in "Pulling Mussels From the Shell" was performed on an iPad.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby jerseyhoya » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:18 pm

I can tell I'm in baseball mode when it starts pouring out and my first thought is wonder if they're going to play tonight. Second thought being oh crap this sports day blows I forgot.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Third thought is if this keeps up I might need to build an ark.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:
CFP wrote:What's a good credit and/or debit card to go after for a college student? I've never had one before and was wondering what those out there would suggest.

None?

I figured debit cards were pretty much automatic with any bank account these days. Heck, I had an ATM card way back in the 80s when I was in college, but you pretty much could only use it at the bank's ATM Machine.

Debit cards and credit card in my view are different from each other. For certain activities, they're pretty interchangeable, assuming you've got the money for what you plan to do. But for a couple of things--car rentals and hotel stays come to mind--you probably want to avoid using a debit card, because even if the room charge is only say $75, they're going to have you pay for "incidentals" like video games, the honor bar, and room damage up front, which at one cheap motel I recently stayed at was $150. The money will be put back in your account, of course. Eventually.

More seriously, being all paternalistic here, I'd go with either a pre-paid deal, or one with a small credit line like $1000, where even if you foolishly max it out you're not in a huge financial hole.

Also, there's no reason to get a card that has any kind of annual fee attached, no matter what kind of reward program you think you're getting. You shouldn't be charging so much that the rewards amount to much anyway.

With the new credit card reform, they've also taken away a lot of those "sign up for a new credit card!" flyers that were all over college campuses and getting kids in financial trouble before they had their degree. CFP, you should be able to get a basic credit card with no annual fees from Citizens Bank or any of the other local banks. If you have zero or awful credit history, they also have those secured credit cards where you have to pay some money ahead of time or have it linked to a savings account...
Last edited by BigEd76 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigEd76

Postby Grotewold » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

I have a $31,000 balance on my college MBNA card, but no one can ever take that Fran Ganter beer coozy away from me
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phatj » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:

None?

Pretty good advice I think. One good reason to get a credit card while in school is that it's dead easy, and not easy at all for someone right out of college unless you have a really good job, particularly if you have loans. And it's really hard to build credit without credit cards.

But unless you're much more disciplined than I was, what I would recommend is that you get a card and lock it the hell up. If the CC company threatens to close the account because of inactivity, use it to charge something inexpensive that you were going to buy anyway, pay the bill when it comes, and then lock the card the hell up again. Once you're out of school and start having to pay your own bills you can get the CC out of cold storage and use it.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby phatj » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Maybe it's not so easy anymore.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Grotewold wrote:I have a $31,000 balance on my college MBNA card, but no one can ever take that Fran Ganter beer coozy away from me

:lol:
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Rev_Beezer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 pm

I applied for a Phillies Mastercard. They sent me a lame one with a boat on it instead. I was pissed.
Together we will win this game against the evil Space Yankees! Eat Fresh!
Rev_Beezer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Rev_Beezer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm

almost time for randomy thoughts
Rev_Beezer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Rev_Beezer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm

I would like Random Thoughts IV: The Quest for Peace
Rev_Beezer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:02 pm

RANDOM THOUGHTS 4 PEACE SELLS BUT WHO'S BUYIN' METTTTTALLLLLLLLLLLLL
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby WilliamC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Tiggerhawk is 80?! Or close to it?!
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Random Thoughts: Explosive Verbal Diarrhea
CalvinBall

Postby WheelsFellOff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:48 pm

RANDOM THOUGHTS INNN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
So far the Eagles have been unable willing to at least make a good will jester - Garry Cobb, Professional Sportswriter

jerseyhoya wrote:My hatred of quote boxes in signatures has reached a new high
WheelsFellOff

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts Threads