Screw You Dr. Smooth, it's my turn! Political Thread!

Screw You Dr. Smooth, it's my turn! Political Thread!

Postby slugsrbad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:53 pm

drsmooth wrote:open letter to slugs: I looked up & down and did not recognize a successor to the pig latin politics thread. I probably should have looked for a pig-latin segue. Admins, there's still time to save us all; do your bidding.

Apology denied.

:evil:
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad
Plays the Game the Right Way

Re: Screw You Dr. Smooth, it's my turn! Political Thread!

Postby slugsrbad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Open Question: Does a balance regionally ticket matter anymore?

I feel like our country is so far politically charged, that it does not matter to get regional vote. Republicans will get the Conservative vote, Democrats will get the Liberal vote and Moderates will decide on their own. I don't think the sway of having one of "your guys" really works anymore outside of possibly a candidate from your state.
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 pm

This is farkin hilarious...

Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby drsmooth » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:32 pm

slugsrbad wrote:
drsmooth wrote:open letter to slugs: I looked up & down and did not recognize a successor to the pig latin politics thread. I probably should have looked for a pig-latin segue. Admins, there's still time to save us all; do your bidding.

Apology denied.

:evil:

:-D

I love this

AND I love the thread title - I was utterly sick of the previous one by about page 35.

THIS one, on the other hand, I could enjoy into very late October

:spam:
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:34 pm

slugsrbad wrote:Open Question: Does a balance regionally ticket matter anymore?

I feel like our country is so far politically charged, that it does not matter to get regional vote. Republicans will get the Conservative vote, Democrats will get the Liberal vote and Moderates will decide on their own. I don't think the sway of having one of "your guys" really works anymore outside of possibly a candidate from your state.

Jerz is just the fellow to address this one

but I'll trot on ahead & suggest it matters more than you might otherwise assume
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't know of any hard data, but I'd guess that there are anti-southern candidate biases in parts of the northeast and west and pro-south biases regionwide in the south
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Phan In Phlorida wrote:This is farkin hilarious...

Oh.

Oh my, yes

and has a bipartisan message, which is nice

well, more a-partisan
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:41 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:I don't know of any hard data, but I'd guess that there are anti-southern candidate biases in parts of the northeast and west and pro-south biases regionwide in the south

But if Rick Perry, say, chose Huckabee, or Rick Scott, or maybe Rubio as a Veep (assuming he can pick any running mate from any region with any amount of recognition) those wouldn't help his total vote count as much as a Christie, or a Scott Brown (!?!) or Pawlenty, would they? (it? lousy sentence)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:44 pm

To dajafi's last post in the previous thread: I didn't mean you were missing it though others are both here and elsewhere in the real world. I was saying that the part you bolded there wasn't meant as a compliment by you, but that it'll help him in the primaries.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:To dajafi's last post in the previous thread: I didn't mean you were missing it though others are both here and elsewhere in the real world. I was saying that the part you bolded there wasn't meant as a compliment by you, but that it'll help him in the primaries.

speaking of referencing the previous poltix thread with insufficient detail to allow anyone to figure out what one is talking about, this was good - cold, but good:

jerseyhoya wrote:He was Morris County Freeholder from 1995-98. Have your mom show you how to use Wikipedia.
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby dajafi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:To dajafi's last post in the previous thread: I didn't mean you were missing it though others are both here and elsewhere in the real world. I was saying that the part you bolded there wasn't meant as a compliment by you, but that it'll help him in the primaries.

Got it and correct on both counts. I was a bit confused, as you're generally one of the more attentive readers around here.

No doubt, Christie's appeal is stylistic. But to bring together this sub-thread with another, his "deviations" probably are sufficient that he'd run with a farther-right VP candidate, probably a Sun Belter like Rubio.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:02 am

OK, which one of you is Poleman scraping material from BSG and writing it in the Inquirer?
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:25 am

1. Democrats can get away with two southerners, but it would be silly for the Republicans to do so. They might still win, but it's an unnecessary handicap given that the South is going to go your way anyway.

2. On Christie--Presidential elections are littered with the carcasses of candidates who appealed on the basis of personality and being someone different. John Anderson, Gary Hart, Lamarr Alexander, Fred Thompson, even Ross Perot and Sarah Palin. I'm not saying Christie is like that--maybe he's more like the Republican's Obama.

Which raises an interesting point--I think one legitimate criticism of Obama is that his lack of experience has hindered his Presidency. Yet Christie is even less experienced. The dynamics of this are interesting to be sure--experience v. get away from politics as usual. But it is an important difference between Perry (and Romney) and Christie. That is, if I'm Perry, I'll go out and say--we tried someone without experience before, it didn't work.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby jerseyhoya » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 am

All experience isn't created equal. Christie isn't less experienced than Obama was in 2008. He has passed budgets and major reform legislation through cajoling, deal making, and public barnstorming to drum up support. Obama sat in committee meetings and gave speeches on the senate floor.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 am

jerseyhoya wrote:All experience isn't created equal. Christie isn't less experienced than Obama was in 2008. He has passed budgets and major reform legislation through cajoling, deal making, and public barnstorming to drum up support. Obama sat in committee meetings and gave speeches on the senate floor.

But he's a lot less experienced than Perry. And, he's less experienced than Obama is now. It's far from a fatal flaw, and it may not even be a flaw at all. However, it does mean that the emphasis right now is going to be on his personality, or style, and that's rarely enough to mount a sustained campaign. Right now, he's a political Rorschach test--Republicans are projecting their hopes and dreams (partly because the existing field appears to be uninspiring) onto a man who is largely unknown. As they get to know him, that's going to fade.

And for whatever reason, I hear Wendy's is reviving its "where's the beef" campaign.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby Werthless » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 pm

My Dad, who is a big Michelle Bachman fan, is even more excited for Chris Christie, and sent me an email exhorting me to find his latest address on Youtube. "And make sure to watch the Q-and-A. That's the best part." So I think it wouldn't be hard to "rally the base" with just rhetoric, policy positions aside. I guess that would mean that he might be comparable to Reagan... likable, with a message that resonates, but not as conservative as his suporters might otherwise believe.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Wheels Tupay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Hope everyone is ready for the next war which will be in Pakistan.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-u-military-a ... 08402.html

Ron Paul predicted this in December 2009 and not shockingly the media killed him for it and called him crazy.

“I think Obama is actually preparing us for perpetual war. He’s been warning in that speech and elsewhere that we will be going into Pakistan. The idea that we’re going to bring our troops home eventually is just not so.” Paul added.
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay

Postby jerseyhoya » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... consi.html

I mean I'm tryin real hard not to get too excited about this
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:13 am

jerseyhoya wrote:http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/chris_christie_seriously_consi.html

I mean I'm tryin real hard not to get too excited about this

just think, with 14 months to go, there's still time to pop a chubbie over Bloomberg, and then Colin Powell, and then Bobbie Jindal, and then the political corpse of Elizabeth Dole, and then....

you guys are like 12 year old boys in a roomful of old National Geographics
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 am

This isn't strictly politics and it's not economics, but has somewhat to do with political economy, I guess. It's long, too:

A History of Violence (Pinker)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Next

Return to Random Thoughts Threads