Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Bucky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 pm

do you have anymore beer
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:Have any of you ever heard of idioms? Because you're asking for a lot if you're asking for all your idiomatic expressions to make sense.

But in the Beach Boys example, it seems to me the use of anymore in that sentence is superfluous. If it's left out, the sentence is completely understandable. Or, perhaps you it's an issue of syntax--Are the Beach Boys good anymore, what with that guy being a cripple? In the other examples, anymore adds the nuance "it used to be that way, but now it is not". If you want to talk about how something is still the same, you can say "it still costs two dollars" or if you want to emphasize that 2 dollars isn't much money you can say it still only costs two dollars. And yeah, I do live in the mid-south, but I don't commonly hear the positive use of anymore.

no #$!&@ there are alternatives. I don't see how that makes a difference

your post makes another good point though. you use "anymore" in the interrogative positive. so "Are the Beach Boys good anymore?" is ok. "No, the Beach Boys aren't good anymore." is ok. but "Yeah, the Beach Boys are good anymore." isn't?

I know it doesn't sound that great right there, but there are other times I like how it sounds
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Previous

Return to Random Thoughts Threads