Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby pacino » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Soren wrote:because law is based on logic and Scientology is the opposite of that or something

She's religious and can indoctrinate their kid all she wants, but he can't. Don't get it.
User avatar
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP
 
Posts: 74149
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: Outside Fultz's Gym Looking For Clues

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:53 pm

if you can say, "It doesn't cost two dollars anymore," why can't you say, "It costs two dollars anymore"
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 63898
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby The Nightman Cometh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:03 pm

pacino wrote:
Soren wrote:because law is based on logic and Scientology is the opposite of that or something

She's religious and can indoctrinate their kid all she wants, but he can't. Don't get it.

It's a settlement, they can agree to whatever they want.
The Nightman Cometh
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor
 
Posts: 8552
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby stevemc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:if you can say, "It doesn't cost two dollars anymore," why can't you say, "It costs two dollars anymore"



for the same reason I go crazy when people interchangeably use "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less". They don't mean the same thing!!!!
User avatar
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 7383
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby td11 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:if you can say, "It doesn't cost two dollars anymore," why can't you say, "It costs two dollars anymore"


yeah i've struggled with this for a long time.

"it does NOT cost two dollars ANY more" -- without the negative, you can't use "anymore." basically, i was taught anymore = no longer
td11
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 35266
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:14 pm

stevemc wrote:
Houshphandzadeh wrote:if you can say, "It doesn't cost two dollars anymore," why can't you say, "It costs two dollars anymore"



for the same reason I go crazy when people interchangeably use "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less". They don't mean the same thing!!!!

I'm not saying they mean the same thing, I'm saying they mean the opposite
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 63898
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby stevemc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:
stevemc wrote:
Houshphandzadeh wrote:if you can say, "It doesn't cost two dollars anymore," why can't you say, "It costs two dollars anymore"



for the same reason I go crazy when people interchangeably use "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less". They don't mean the same thing!!!!

I'm not saying they mean the same thing, I'm saying they mean the opposite



oh! well in that case, say it with pride.
User avatar
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 7383
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Barry Jive » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 pm

just use double negatives like a real american
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I like to think of myself as a double positive kind a guy
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 63898
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Barry Jive » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:32 pm

that's some orwellian #$!&@
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby jamiethekiller » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:39 pm

me too desert and dessert
User avatar
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 24745
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:if you can say, "It doesn't cost two dollars anymore," why can't you say, "It costs two dollars anymore"


You can. Although it's hard to think of when "It costs two dollars" wouldn't do the job.
Which part? And who are you?
User avatar
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 33236
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: First I was like....And then I was like...

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm

it suggests that it used to cost a different amount
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 63898
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Barry Jive » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:47 pm

i've heard people use "anymore" without a negative but i'm struggling to think of an example
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm

the context it came up in today was something like:

"Oh, I didn't realize I just missed the Beach Boys."
"Are they any good on tour what with him being an invalid anymore?"
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 63898
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby The Nightman Cometh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:50 pm

"do you need anymore?"
The Nightman Cometh
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor
 
Posts: 8552
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Barry Jive » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:the context it came up in today was something like:

"Oh, I didn't realize I just missed the Beach Boys."
"Are they any good on tour what with him being an invalid anymore?"


yeah that's about what i'm thinking of. it sounds weird to me and i don't even know if it's proper
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I like this two Random Threads thing we have going. It's like Batman and Detective Comics
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 63898
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 pm

I say we're still good as long as we're on 50.

I'd just use "now" myself.

Regional Note: In standard American English the word anymore is often found in negative sentences: They don't live here anymore. But anymore is widely used in regional American English in positive sentences with the meaning "nowadays": "We use a gas stove anymore" (Oklahoma informant in DARE). Its use, which appears to be spreading, is centered in the South Midland and Midwestern states, as well as in the Western states that received settlers from those areas. The earliest recorded examples are from Northern Ireland, where the positive use of anymore still occurs.
Which part? And who are you?
User avatar
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 33236
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: First I was like....And then I was like...

Re: Random Thoughts With Extra Cheese and Pepperoni

Postby TenuredVulture » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Have any of you ever heard of idioms? Because you're asking for a lot if you're asking for all your idiomatic expressions to make sense.

But in the Beach Boys example, it seems to me the use of anymore in that sentence is superfluous. If it's left out, the sentence is completely understandable. Or, perhaps you it's an issue of syntax--Are the Beach Boys good anymore, what with that guy being a cripple? In the other examples, anymore adds the nuance "it used to be that way, but now it is not". If you want to talk about how something is still the same, you can say "it still costs two dollars" or if you want to emphasize that 2 dollars isn't much money you can say it still only costs two dollars. And yeah, I do live in the mid-south, but I don't commonly hear the positive use of anymore.
Be Bold!
User avatar
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 50895
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Magnolia, AR

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests