It's arraigning men- Hallelujah! (politics)

Re: It's arraigning men- Hallelujah! (politics)

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:38 pm

the Whitefish scam:
SAN JUAN — The small energy outfit from Montana that won a $300 million contract to help rebuild Puerto Rico’s tattered power grid had few employees of its own, so it did what the Puerto Rican authorities could have done: It turned to Florida for workers.

For their trouble, the six electrical workers from Kissimmee are earning $42 an hour, plus overtime. The senior power linemen from Lakeland are earning $63 an hour working in Puerto Rico, the Florida utility said. Their 40 co-workers from Jacksonville, also linemen, are making up to $100 earning double time, public records show.

But the Montana company that hired the workers, Whitefish Energy Holdings, had a contract that allowed it to bill the Puerto Rican public power company, known as Prepa, $319 an hour for linemen, a rate that industry experts said was far above the norm even for emergency work — and almost 17 times the average salary of their counterparts in Puerto Rico.

The Whitefish case has already influenced Puerto Rico’s recovery: President Trump agreed to increase aid to the island — but only if the Puerto Rican government does a better job of estimating costs. “We have a lot of work to do when it comes to grant-monitoring at all levels of government,” Brock Long, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told Congress recently, vowing not to commit “one dollar” to the Whitefish deal.

The Whitefish contract has been particularly problematic.

The Army Corps of Engineers, which is overseeing power restoration in Puerto Rico, did not hire Whitefish because its prices were more than double what the agency considered reasonable, according to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

Jacksonville Electric Authority said it had billed Whitefish for additional overhead to cover things like administrative costs and insurance, bringing the bill to about half what Whitefish was charging Prepa. A spokeswoman for Jacksonville Electric said she was not concerned about the markup because Whitefish was also handling food and lodging. (However, Whitefish is also charging Prepa another $412 a day per worker for food and lodging.)
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Caught a little of Sessions not answering questions, or leading cheer leading (Comey firing, looking at Clintoon Uranium, whatever). Total waste of time.
The time is always right to do what is right. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

They say they have the votes:
The Senate tax-writing committee began hammering out the details of its tax cut proposal on Monday. The House may vote on its bill as soon as Thursday. Here are the latest developments, updated throughout the day:

The chief House tax writer says he’s confident the chamber has enough Republican votes to pass its tax legislation this week.

There may be minor revisions to the bill, but that would be the extent of it, according to House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady.

A new study by Congress’s official tax scorekeeper suggests that in 2019, households earning $1 million a year or more would get an average tax cut of about $58,000, while those earning between $50,000 and $75,000 would see an average tax cut of about $688.

I feel reformed
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:17 pm

You just have to get it together and up your earnings.
Jamie
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

John Fetterman is running for lieutenant governor. There goes the hopes of the person I was supporting (Aryanna Berringer). oh well

guess he's planning on running for governor in 2022
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 pm

how can she lose in pennsyltucky with a name like Aryan
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:34 pm

she's bi-racial
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — A Serbian court on Tuesday issued suspended prison sentences for four suspects and acquitted three others who were tried in the 2008 torching of the U.S. embassy in Belgrade after a rally against Kosovo's declaration of independence.

The U.S. embassy criticized the ruling, saying "it is difficult to understand how it has taken nine years to reach the verdict in this case ... with the final result that none of the seven defendants, four of whom admitted in the presence of counsel to participating in a serious offense, was sentenced to serve time in jail."

One person died in the 2008 rioting when the American and other Western embassies were attacked by groups of nationalists and soccer hooligans angry over what they perceived as Western support for Kosovo's statehood. Several hundred people stormed the American embassy and set part of it on fire before police appeared and pushed the crowds away from the scene.

The incident has burdened relations between Washington and Belgrade for years. U.S. officials have insisted that suspects be held responsible but no one has so far been imprisoned for the torching.
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

pacino wrote:
CalvinBall wrote:Mendez jury locked on all charges.

can we still get him replaced?

Jurors in the bribery trial of U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez have resumed deliberations a day after they told the judge they are at an impasse.

The panel sent a note to the judge on Monday afternoon saying they couldn't reach a unanimous verdict on any of the 18 counts in the indictment against Menendez and a wealthy friend.

On Tuesday the judge told them to "take as much time as you need."

Menendez and Florida eye doctor Salomon Melgen (MEHL'-genn) are charged with running a bribery scheme between 2006 and 2013 in which Menendez traded his political influence for luxury vacations and flights on the doctor's private plane.

Both defendants deny the charges against them.
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby smitty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:I think I agree with jh in the sense that it could be abused. It's clear that this guy should be booted, but the next one may not be so clear. Where is the line exactly? Normalizing congress getting rid of people it doesn't like could potentially disenfranchise people from states with unpopular opinions or ideas.

I agree with You.

Also, I think Jersey H. Is on the money.

The guys future should be in the voters hands because this is America.
Teams lie, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad. They do it to get an advantage while they look at the trade market or just because they can

--Will Carroll
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

I love Sessions' testimony. "I did not remember talking about Russia, but if we did talk about Russia I definitely did the right thing."
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Yeah, once his recollection is refreshed it seems to flood back in a very detailed, self-serving way.
Jamie
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

tax avoidance expert in charge of the IRS; it was only a voice vote on the floor
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

it's a small clicktivism, but if you want to help, please sign to save Net Neutrality
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 pm

pacino wrote:tax avoidance expert in charge of the IRS

Literally nothing unusual about that at all a year in. If you want to be shocked, find someone who is not trying to rip apart his or her agency. Maybe Brock Long?
The time is always right to do what is right. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Senate version of tax bill now getting the individual mandate added to it and Graham-Cassidy is to get a vote alongside it.

Big giveaway to the super rich and cutting medical insurance for others.
A Ben Simmons Fan
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby agrudez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I live in Huntsville (the first or maybe second behind Birmingham most liberal area in this backward state of AL) and I'm not feeling great about Doug Jones' chances even after this news. Even in the engineering industry (which you would assume would be skewed heavily liberal relative to many other industries) there is a serious dearth of white Democrats here. Most of the young people I work with are "libertarians" (ie. low information voters that grew up in "Conservative" households, but started smoking weed in college) and many of the older people I work with show signs of being Rush Limbaugh (and sometimes Alex Jones) devotees. Hell, even the government owned facility I frequent has Fox News playing 24/7 in the lobbies. I had a government employee (I'm a contractor) "open my eyes" to a muslim conspiracy to takeover Western civilization headed up by the mayor of London in a room full of people at work - and some were nodding their heads!

Outside work, the local white waiters/waitresses, white store clerks, etc. are pretty much to a man/woman "Conservative" leaning. I try to talk to neighbors about politics (I had a Bernie sign then a Hillary sign and now a Doug Jones sign in my front yard over the past 1.5 years), but more often than not it devolves into a conversation that makes me decide that I don't want my kids playing with their kids anymore (like a guy that started in on an impromptu riff on how white privilege isn't a real thing and "they" just need to work as hard as he did to get ahead in life).

These people are strongly committed to voting against their own self interests and their steady diet of consumed propaganda and lies (from TV to the radio to their pastors... a sect of people whose insidious influence in shaping many people's political beliefs isn't NEARLY discussed enough) has caused them to view "Liberals" as literal evil. The only way you're making in-roads in these godforsaken places is abandoning gun rights and abortion rights issues because no other message is getting through. Not that I support that - just stating the fact.
agrudez
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Warszawa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I’m not sure whose worse Jim Jordan or Devin Nunes. I think even Sessions was rolling his eyes today
Electricity comes from other planets
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

When Did Roy Moore Meet His Wife?

In his book, Roy Moore said he had seen Kayla "many" years earlier, although it doesn't specify how old she was when she first caught his eye. Women who spoke to the Washington Post said Moore asked them for dates in the late 1970s. Moore left Alabama in 1983, traveled to Texas and Australia, and returned in 1984, around the same time he met Kayla Kisor at the church Christmas party.

"Many years before, I had attended a dance recital at Gadsden State Junior College," Roy Moore wrote. "I remembered one of the special dances performed by a young woman whose first and last names began with the letter 'K.' It was something I had never forgotten. Could that young woman have been Kayla Kisor? Anxious to meet her, I began with the line, 'Haven't we met somewhere before?'"

Kayla Moore was divorced and had a young daughter when Roy Moore married her in 1985. She was an adult when they dated and married, but she did attend school with the woman who accused Roy Moore of sexual assault in a Monday appearance orchestrated by attorney Gloria Allred. Beverly Young Nelson said she was a sophomore at Southside High School in 1977, alongside Kayla Kisor.

Wut
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) shared this fun chart today:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!