~Take a look, It's in a BOOK, Back She Goes~

Re: ~Take a look, It's in a BOOK, Back She Goes~

Postby swishnicholson » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Bucky wrote:Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" is set in 1966 and in one scene to guys hi-five. The high five wasn't around until the late 1970s.

In related news, you could've given me a hundred guesses before reading the book and I wouldn't have come close to guessing what the title referred to.

Famous band from Washington state plays the Bahamas?
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:did you like it? I read it years ago and don't really remember if I did

prolly about halfway thru. Pretty good so far- haven't gotten to the "Stephen King" parts yet, but as a traditional story it's OK. Of course, it's enriched by the call-backs to the first story in the book, so I can't judge how much having read #1 ("Low Men in Yellow Coats") helps.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm

swishnicholson wrote:
Bucky wrote:Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" is set in 1966 and in one scene to guys hi-five. The high five wasn't around until the late 1970s.

In related news, you could've given me a hundred guesses before reading the book and I wouldn't have come close to guessing what the title referred to.

Famous band from Washington state plays the Bahamas?

NO FAIR YOU READ IT :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :spam: :c: :evil: :spam: :spam2: :twisted: :evil:
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phatj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:51 am

Bucky wrote:
Houshphandzadeh wrote:did you like it? I read it years ago and don't really remember if I did

prolly about halfway thru. Pretty good so far- haven't gotten to the "Stephen King" parts yet, but as a traditional story it's OK. Of course, it's enriched by the call-backs to the first story in the book, so I can't judge how much having read #1 ("Low Men in Yellow Coats") helps.

Low Men in Yellow Coats, and the Buick, are literally all I remember of that book.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Phred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I also have read Hearts in Atlantis and have almost no memory of it.

I just finished Dr. Sleep and thought it was great.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Dr. Sleep was really fun
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Well go figure...there is no "Stephen King part" in the "Hearts in Atlantis" section of the book. And whadday know, the a second meaning for the title is revealed, and it's one that one would've guessed.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Dude » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Why do you mean by “Stephen king” part?
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Something to do with the supernatural / monsters / lunatics / bloody murders /etc.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:53 am

Norm MacDonald's "Based on a True Story: Not a Memoir" is freakin' hilarious. I had a huge initial Norm bias, but it's much different/better than I expected. the Rodney Dangerfield 'expose' almost made me pull over due to laughter.

Although not nearly the norm (no pun intended), at this point I think that some writings have a far, far, superior impact when consumed via the author's telling via an audiobook.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 am

Pretty much all of my reading is of the nonfiction variety—biographies, history, etc. I’ve never been able to get into and appreciate fiction literature. I have a real bad habit of starting, getting bored with them and not picking them back up. I’ve started Crime and Punishment probably three times over the years and never did finish it, which is odd because I actually really did enjoy what I did read of it.

Anyway, I’ve decided to change that and take a go at the “classics”. Naturally, when I think of classic works of literature, Moby Dick is the first title that comes to mind. But I’m finding that it isn’t the wisest first choice. I’m about 20 chapters in and it is quite a boring slog. I didn’t realize until I did some searching that nobody actually enjoys reading Moby Dick, it’s just something you do. Oh well, only about 100 or so more chapters to go.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JUburton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am

Yeah, probably wouldn't have picked that one to start with.

I recently finished The Mars Room which I didn't really like. Reading Dave Itzkoff's biography of Robin Williams now.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Phred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 am

Slowhand wrote:Pretty much all of my reading is of the nonfiction variety—biographies, history, etc. I’ve never been able to get into and appreciate fiction literature. I have a real bad habit of starting, getting bored with them and not picking them back up. I’ve started Crime and Punishment probably three times over the years and never did finish it, which is odd because I actually really did enjoy what I did read of it.

Anyway, I’ve decided to change that and take a go at the “classics”. Naturally, when I think of classic works of literature, Moby Dick is the first title that comes to mind. But I’m finding that it isn’t the wisest first choice. I’m about 20 chapters in and it is quite a boring slog. I didn’t realize until I did some searching that nobody actually enjoys reading Moby Dick, it’s just something you do. Oh well, only about 100 or so more chapters to go.

Grapes of Wrath is the first "classic" that is also a great read that springs to mind. To Kill a Mockingbird, too.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 am

the idea that classics or canon literature are generally boring or painful to read is preposterous. you probably don't like Moby Dick because you don't like fiction
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JUburton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:the idea that classics or canon literature are generally boring or painful to read is preposterous. you probably don't like Moby Dick because you don't like fiction
I don't know. Obviously every classic will be different but Moby Dick is pretty well known for being a tough read. Hope you like whale anatomy!
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bill McNeal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am

wasn't Melville paid by the word for Moby Dick or is that just an urban legend?

If you want to read a classic that is a bit more entertaining in the same vein, I like The Old Man and the Sea when I read that, I think Hemingway is a lot easier of a read than Melville and you get to keep on the nautical theme!
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:the idea that classics or canon literature are generally boring or painful to read is preposterous.

I didn’t say that.
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Slowhand » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 am

Phred wrote:
Slowhand wrote:Pretty much all of my reading is of the nonfiction variety—biographies, history, etc. I’ve never been able to get into and appreciate fiction literature. I have a real bad habit of starting, getting bored with them and not picking them back up. I’ve started Crime and Punishment probably three times over the years and never did finish it, which is odd because I actually really did enjoy what I did read of it.

Grapes of Wrath is the first "classic" that is also a great read that springs to mind. To Kill a Mockingbird, too.

Read both of them in high school and enjoyed them very much.
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Slowhand wrote:
Houshphandzadeh wrote:the idea that classics or canon literature are generally boring or painful to read is preposterous.

I didn’t say that.

what's your favorite biography?
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 pm

I've read a decent amount of Melville, and Moby Dick was by far the least enjoyable. Billy Budd was much better, and of course Bartleby the Scrivener (a short story) is absolutely delightful.

Reading the classics can be very rewarding, though they typically do take some effort. Whether the effort is worth it depends on both the book and the person reading it.

And often, the most well known book isn't the best introduction to an author--as is the case with Melville, for one. So, for instance, I'd suggest someone who was interested in Twain start with Life on the Mississippi, move to Connecticut Yankee, Tom Sawyer maybe, then Pudd'n'head Wilson, then Huck Finn.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!