Where the hell is the new POLITICS thread?

Re: Where the hell is the new POLITICS thread?

Postby Bucky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 am

CFP wrote:Always thought it was weird that it wasn’t that way
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am

I don't follow what people tweet, but several pretty terrible tweets about the massacre have broken through my bubble, and well, if the one you've chosen to object to is AOCs, you have some pretty #$!&@ up standards of what counts as a terrible tweet.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Bucky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am

YOU MIGHT BE INDOCTRINATED IF....
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Werthless » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:I don't follow what people tweet, but several pretty terrible tweets about the massacre have broken through my bubble, and well, if the one you've chosen to object to is AOCs, you have some pretty #$!&@ up standards of what counts as a terrible tweet.

Yeah, but what about...

The GOP diversion strategies are infiltrating BSG!
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Well, I've read AOC's tweet a few times now, and while it might not be the most articulate expression of grief, it does not really attack anyone except the fanatics who are shooting up places of worship. I do think extremist terrorism is a big problem, and we do need to do more to combat it than just thoughts and prayers, and if the NRA and pro-gun fanatics are a little defensive and see themselves being criticized in her tweet, well, that's on them really.

I don't think it's "what aboutism" to say the things that really ought to be condemned are the ones coming out along the lines of "I deplore violence, but I am sympathetic with the goals of this terrorist."

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/15/18267077/ ... immigrants
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby jerseyhoya » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 pm

She, realizing it was not a good tweet, followed up with a tweet saying she intended to be criticizing the NRA. Imagine them thinking she was criticizing them! Must be their defensiveness.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Who cares
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Roger Dorn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

@realDonaldTrump The ‘Jexodus’ movement encourages Jewish people to leave the Democrat Party. Total disrespect! Republicans are waiting with open arms. Remember Jerusalem (U.S. Embassy) and the horrible Iran Nuclear Deal! @OANN @foxandfriends

This tweet seems a lot worse than AOC’s but sure let’s denigrate her. This board is crazy.
Do you think April is too early for a Roger Dorn night?
Roger Dorn
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby JUburton » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:She, realizing it was not a good tweet, followed up with a tweet saying she intended to be criticizing the NRA. Imagine them thinking she was criticizing them! Must be their defensiveness.
Or realizing it was open to bad faith interpretation but hey you do you.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 pm

also she followed up with that like 45 minutes after, not just now.
CalvinBall

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm

I'm sure there are fine people on both sides.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Squire » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Stupid process question: Is the full House/Senate constitutionally required to hold the vote to override a veto? or do they only hold it if they think they have the votes to override?
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby The Savior » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:She, realizing it was not a good tweet, followed up with a tweet saying she intended to be criticizing the NRA. Imagine them thinking she was criticizing them! Must be their defensiveness.

He’s not self awareeeeee
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby slugsrbad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Squire wrote:Stupid process question: Is the full House/Senate constitutionally required to hold the vote to override a veto? or do they only hold it if they think they have the votes to override?

I'm going off of memory so I could be wrong, but either chamber can initiate the veto vote (I don't think it's required, so if you know it's futile you may not attempt) and if it passes that chamber than the other one will vote. I don't think the Senate can say thanks no thanks if the House successfully overrides.
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

Postby thephan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Roger Dorn wrote:@realDonaldTrump The ‘Jexodus’ movement encourages Jewish people to leave the Democrat Party. Total disrespect! Republicans are waiting with open arms. Remember Jerusalem (U.S. Embassy) and the horrible Iran Nuclear Deal! @OANN @foxandfriends

This tweet seems a lot worse than AOC’s but sure let’s denigrate her. This board is crazy.

It is. And probably about ever third tweet @RealDon kicks out. These tweets routinely catch the board on fire. That's what make 'who cares' seem rather thin skinned. Everybody cares if it is Trump, Bannon, or most of the other moron squad (me as well) hit tweet.

To your point, this gaming for Jewish support is insane. It is provably false that there is any type of hate movement inside the Democratic party at large. Certainly Omar's stuff is bad, maybe it is clumsy or maybe it is ingrained, but minimally she needs to pause and consider what she is saying, and how she is saying it. She has been factually wrong with somethings, but glaringly she has chosen hateful rhetorical descriptions to make a point that undoes what I think she was trying to convey. Honestly, she has been really bad at clarifying too.

That said, it is disingenuous to paint the Democratic party as a party that hates Jews. There is garbage in the GOP that has openly verbalize hatred, including demonization and denigration of Jewish people, but I do not think that the GOP hates Jews writ large.

TL;DR - Trump tweeting ignorance has been normalize
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 pm

slugsrbad wrote:
Squire wrote:Stupid process question: Is the full House/Senate constitutionally required to hold the vote to override a veto? or do they only hold it if they think they have the votes to override?

I'm going off of memory so I could be wrong, but either chamber can initiate the veto vote (I don't think it's required, so if you know it's futile you may not attempt) and if it passes that chamber than the other one will vote. I don't think the Senate can say thanks no thanks if the House successfully overrides.

I am curious about the process too. He seemed really smug after he inked his veto.
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Savior » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

thephan wrote:
Roger Dorn wrote:@realDonaldTrump The ‘Jexodus’ movement encourages Jewish people to leave the Democrat Party. Total disrespect! Republicans are waiting with open arms. Remember Jerusalem (U.S. Embassy) and the horrible Iran Nuclear Deal! @OANN @foxandfriends

It is. And probably about ever third tweet @RealDon kicks out. These tweets routinely catch the board on fire. That's what make 'who cares' seem rather thin skinned. Everybody cares if it is Trump, Bannon, or most of the other moron squad (me as well) hit tweet.

To your point, this gaming for Jewish support is insane. It is provably false that there is any type of hate movement inside the Democratic party at large. Certainly Omar's stuff is bad, maybe it is clumsy or maybe it is ingrained, but minimally she needs to pause and consider what she is saying, and how she is saying it. She has been factually wrong with somethings, but glaringly she has chosen hateful rhetorical descriptions to make a point that undoes what I think she was trying to convey. Honestly, she has been really bad at clarifying too.

That said, it is disingenuous to paint the Democratic party as a party that hates Jews. There is garbage in the GOP that has openly verbalize hatred, including demonization and denigration of Jewish people, but I do not think that the GOP hates Jews writ large.

But jersey chooses to attack a female minority elected official.

Perhaps he’s not as different as he’d like to believe (or suggest).
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior

Postby slugsrbad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 pm

thephan wrote:
slugsrbad wrote:

I am curious about the process too. He seemed really smug after he inked his veto.

Well I mean neither the House nor the Senate passed the bill with a 2/3 majority so it all but signaled that an override would be impossible
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

Postby jerseyhoya » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 pm

The Savior wrote:
thephan wrote:

But jersey chooses to attack a female minority elected official.

Perhaps he’s not as different as he’d like to believe (or suggest).

I am sorry that at midnight last night I complained about AOC's tweet instead of criticizing the one Trump sent 8 hours after my post.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

I will do better though and do predictive criticisms

Here's one for Trump's bad tweet tomorrow morning: Holy #$!&@ I cannot believe he said that! He should be ashamed of himself and apologize immediately.

And for next Tuesday: Gosh, that's just reprehensible. Come ON dude.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!