Screw You Dr. Smooth, it's my turn! Political Thread!

Re: Screw You Dr. Smooth, it's my turn! Political Thread!

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:20 pm

NEWT
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby drsmooth » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:50 pm

dajafi, I believe your keyboard kat perry off is some kind of flash virus from hell - has crashed my browser multiple consecutive times

and I was so looking forward to it :|
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Lost in the Perry gaffe is the actual content of his proposal--eliminating the commerce department--is this something people really want? Two of bureaus in the commerce department are in fact Constitutional obligations of the government---the Census Bureau and the Patent Office. It seems to me that we will also still need economic statistics, and the National Institute of Standards is a useful thing to have. Unless we want people deciding a pound is 15 oz or something like that. I know conservatives hate the NOAA, but I suspect most Americans want to keep that around as well. So what would eliminating this department do?
If someone asks you to keep a secret, that secret is a lie.
TenuredVulture
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby pacino » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 pm

the energy dept keeps watch over all nuclear facilities and nuclear weapons

the education dept uhm, uh, well, uh, educates
I confess that I have never seen Markelle Fultz play a basketball game and I was not at his 76ers workout Saturday in Camden

I must not hoop
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby SK790 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:34 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:Lost in the Perry gaffe is the actual content of his proposal--eliminating the commerce department--is this something people really want? Two of bureaus in the commerce department are in fact Constitutional obligations of the government---the Census Bureau and the Patent Office. It seems to me that we will also still need economic statistics, and the National Institute of Standards is a useful thing to have. Unless we want people deciding a pound is 15 oz or something like that. I know conservatives hate the NOAA, but I suspect most Americans want to keep that around as well. So what would eliminating this department do?

I know there's been a lot of bickering about NOAA, and on the surface most of it seems good. Most private forecast companies cover 3 or 4 times the area 1 single NOAA office covers, but those companies aren't producing ground-breaking research papers in weather modeling/forecasting. At my old job, there was 1 guy who would constantly complain that he was doing 3 or 4 times the work that a NOAA forecaster was doing, but that's just looking at half of their job, really.
jamiethekiller wrote:also, you're being about 10x worse than Cballs ever is in the PSU thread.
SK790

Location: time is money; money is power; power is pizza; pizza is knowledge

Postby TenuredVulture » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:03 pm

SK790 wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lost in the Perry gaffe is the actual content of his proposal--eliminating the commerce department--is this something people really want? Two of bureaus in the commerce department are in fact Constitutional obligations of the government---the Census Bureau and the Patent Office. It seems to me that we will also still need economic statistics, and the National Institute of Standards is a useful thing to have. Unless we want people deciding a pound is 15 oz or something like that. I know conservatives hate the NOAA, but I suspect most Americans want to keep that around as well. So what would eliminating this department do?

I know there's been a lot of bickering about NOAA, and on the surface most of it seems good. Most private forecast companies cover 3 or 4 times the area 1 single NOAA office covers, but those companies aren't producing ground-breaking research papers in weather modeling/forecasting. At my old job, there was 1 guy who would constantly complain that he was doing 3 or 4 times the work that a NOAA forecaster was doing, but that's just looking at half of their job, really.

Aren't they supplying all the satellite data and the sending out the hurricane hunting aircraft and such?
If someone asks you to keep a secret, that secret is a lie.
TenuredVulture

Postby SK790 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:37 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:
SK790 wrote:

Aren't they supplying all the satellite data and the sending out the hurricane hunting aircraft and such?

All satellite, RADAR, and most credible surface and upper air observational data is through NOAA. They also run and maintain 2 operational weather models, which pretty much every operational meteorologist world wide uses to forecast. Losing any funding from those areas would be devastating to the meteorology community. If anything, they're likely to cut forecasters and forecast offices, which would leave a lot less time for forecast-related research.

I know Santorum is big on this, but that's more likely because him and the owner of AccuWeather are kind of in bed together.
jamiethekiller wrote:also, you're being about 10x worse than Cballs ever is in the PSU thread.
SK790

Location: time is money; money is power; power is pizza; pizza is knowledge

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Mitt just corrected the question guy and was right about debate rules

I think Newt just suggested killing Iranian nuclear scientists
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Mitt and Santorum both obviously think Perry is a ratard
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wizlah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:32 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:I think Newt just suggested killing Iranian nuclear scientists

That is so last season. I believe current preference is just bombing the #$!&@ out of the uranium enrichment facilities.
WFO-That face implies the bottle is destined for something nonstandard.
Woddy:to smash in her old face
WFO-You went to a dark place there friend.
---
JT - I've arguably been to a worse wedding. There was a cash bar
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Well he suggested we do it covertly (on network TV), which was the punch line I left out
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh man Rick Perry with a really good quip on his brain fart
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Warszawa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Huntsman and Paul both give excellent statements against water-boarding and torture. Audience not so enthusiastic.
Your place in oblivion is assured
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wheels Tupay » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:12 pm

jerseyhoya wrote:Well he suggested we do it covertly (on network TV), which was the punch line I left out

He listed a bunch of things like cyber attacks, killing scientist etc and then goes they all are 'Deniable.'

Well Newt, its going to be a lot harder to deny when you broadcast that on national tv.
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
Trent Steele wrote:
newest registered user is Wheels Tupay

I dont even know what to say. I think he mispelled TuPac
Wheels Tupay
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby dajafi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:54 pm

So Bachmann, Perry and Cain all have said that God told them to run for president.

The only thing funnier than this being false is it being true. I imagine God sitting there with His buddies, drinking beers and laughing their cosmic tails off at how they're jerking these dopes around.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby drsmooth » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:51 pm

dajafi wrote:So Bachmann, Perry and Cain all have said that God told them to run for president.

The only thing funnier than this being false is it being true. I imagine God sitting there with His buddies, drinking beers and laughing their cosmic tails off at how they're jerking these dopes around.

shouldn't this alone be enough to give the evangelicals the fantods?

I mean God wouldn't play tic-tac-toe with the nation He in his wisdom and love created, would he?
Yes, but in a double utley you can put your utley on top they other guy's utley, and you're the winner. (Swish)
drsmooth
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby allentown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:01 pm

drsmooth wrote:
dajafi wrote:So Bachmann, Perry and Cain all have said that God told them to run for president.

I mean God wouldn't play tic-tac-toe with the nation He in his wisdom and love created, would he?

These three live in a bizarre sub-society, in which saying God personally selected you to be the next President is seen as showing humility. Wouldn't want to show your ego and say that you decided on your own. Then, there is the "I really, really want to run, but I'm going to let my family have the final decision" line. Hey folks, we all know that you have to be an egomaniac, willing to sell your soul to the devils in the primary-voting base to get the nomination. If you're willing to totally debase yourself and pretend to believe things that you don't believe, at least have the guts to admit that YOU crave the Presidency, or at least a prime-time show on FOX.
We now know that Amaro really is running the Phillies. He and Monty seem to have ignored the committee.
allentown
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Just because there's a voice in their heads telling them to do stuff, doesn't mean that voice is God.
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:09 pm

allentown wrote:
drsmooth wrote:

These three live in a bizarre sub-society, in which saying God personally selected you to be the next President is seen as showing humility. Wouldn't want to show your ego and say that you decided on your own. Then, there is the "I really, really want to run, but I'm going to let my family have the final decision" line. Hey folks, we all know that you have to be an egomaniac, willing to sell your soul to the devils in the primary-voting base to get the nomination. If you're willing to totally debase yourself and pretend to believe things that you don't believe, at least have the guts to admit that YOU crave the Presidency, or at least a prime-time show on FOX.

Here's a little quiz. What does the following define: egocentricity, deceptiveness, lack of empathy, lack of remorse
(A) politician
(B) psychopath
(C) :shock:
(D) :mrgreen:

People drawn to politics generally have some degree of narcissism and psychopathy... an excessively high opinion of themselves, egocentricity, deceptiveness, lack of empathy (no problem using other people for their own purpose), lack of remorse. Politics is a natural attraction for the narcissist-psychopath. It's why a high disproportionate of politicians are unfaithful to spouses, etc.
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts Threads