Rolling Science and Nature Thread

Re: Rolling Science and Nature Thread

Postby Bucky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 am

Scientists described the quickening rate of carbon dioxide emissions in stark terms, comparing it to a “speeding freight train” and laying part of the blame on an unexpected surge in the appetite for oil as people around the world not only buy more cars but also drive them farther than in the past — more than offsetting any gains from the spread of electric vehicles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/clim ... 4973171206
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 am

Monkeyboy wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:Yonaguni Monument - natural formation or intelligent ancient civilization?

natural formation.

But the face on Mars, definitely intelligent ancient civilization

What if the ancient aliens purposely raised ocean levels knowing the power of water to create the formation?
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 am

Uncle Milty wrote:
Monkeyboy wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:Yonaguni Monument - natural formation or intelligent ancient civilization?

natural formation.

What if the ancient aliens purposely raised ocean levels knowing the power of water to create the formation?

That would be diabolical when everyone knows the snake people of ancient Earth were a straightforward and genuine people, full of love and peace. I mean, they were vegetarians for Pete's sake.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 am

how does pete benefit from them not eating meat
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Warszawa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 am

Bucky wrote:
Scientists described the quickening rate of carbon dioxide emissions in stark terms, comparing it to a “speeding freight train” and laying part of the blame on an unexpected surge in the appetite for oil as people around the world not only buy more cars but also drive them farther than in the past — more than offsetting any gains from the spread of electric vehicles.

Right emissions are going up not down in a time when we need to get to zero lol
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 am

Bucky wrote:

I am actually teaching our climate change unit right now and the latest data is pretty frightening. The fossil fuels already leased for extraction are over 4 times the amount that scientists say we need to stay under. I've been saying for years that pretty much every scientists studying this stuff has been conservative with their numbers to avoid being labelled an alarmist, so now every report says things are happening much more quickly than expected. It's not surprising.

There's a time lag with these effects so we've already done the damage. It's a matter of waiting to see how bad the results are going to be. And of course we can make matters even worse by refusing to stop what we're doing. We are such brilliant and shortsighted animals, so smart that we can modify our environment so effectively that we can do real damage to it (and ourselves in the process), yet so shortsighted that we can't react to the threat of real harm until it's upon us. Without the time lag, we'd be knee deep in the consequences and would be making the needed changes. With the time lag, I fear we're going to react too late. We are literally going to kill off half the species on the planet. That's pretty much guaranteed. And if the marine food web collapses, and it probably will when the oceans become too warm and acidic for plankton, there will holy hell to pay. Add that to the droughts and the end of fresh water reserves that's coming at the same time, and we'll have mass starvations and huge migrations of people. Half the people in the world live close to the coast and sea level rise could reach 20 meters.

The dept of defense is already preparing for this., btw. They know what's coming.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 am

Bucky wrote:how does pete benefit from them not eating meat

He grows peppers and pickles them. Never heard of Piper's pepper farm?
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby WheelsFellOff » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:30 am

Bucky wrote:how does pete benefit from them not eating meat

So far the Eagles have been unable willing to at least make a good will jester - Garry Cobb, Professional Sportswriter

jerseyhoya wrote:My hatred of quote boxes in signatures has reached a new high
WheelsFellOff
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby joboggi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:

natural formation.

Mars definite three plus billion year old civilization that left the face to mark their existence but left not one other sign.

I believe.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby The Dude » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:11 pm

the globalists are kidnapping our children and enslaving them in mines on Mars
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby joboggi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:
Bucky wrote:

I am actually teaching our climate change unit right now and the latest data is pretty frightening. The fossil fuels already leased for extraction are over 4 times the amount that scientists say we need to stay under. I've been saying for years that pretty much every scientists studying this stuff has been conservative with their numbers to avoid being labelled an alarmist, so now every report says things are happening much more quickly than expected. It's not surprising.

There's a time lag with these effects so we've already done the damage. It's a matter of waiting to see how bad the results are going to be. And of course we can make matters even worse by refusing to stop what we're doing. We are such brilliant and shortsighted animals, so smart that we can modify our environment so effectively that we can do real damage to it (and ourselves in the process), yet so shortsighted that we can't react to the threat of real harm until it's upon us. Without the time lag, we'd be knee deep in the consequences and would be making the needed changes. With the time lag, I fear we're going to react too late. We are literally going to kill off half the species on the planet. That's pretty much guaranteed. And if the marine food web collapses, and it probably will when the oceans become too warm and acidic for plankton, there will holy hell to pay. Add that to the droughts and the end of fresh water reserves that's coming at the same time, and we'll have mass starvations and huge migrations of people. Half the people in the world live close to the coast and sea level rise could reach 20 meters.

The dept of defense is already preparing for this., btw. They know what's coming.

Bugs

They killed the canary and no one noticed.

Climate change as a cause makes no sense.

EM - cell phones
Chemicals

Temp has not changed much.

For the ostriches Google bug numbers. THEY ARE WAY DOWN.

I noticed because I am a big gardener. Then I looked it up.

STARTLING.

so what is causing bug massacre?

In other news

We must force the pace of our transformation and become more efficient and agile,” Ralf Brandstaetter, the VW brand’s chief operating officer, said Thursday at the company’s headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany. “What we have achieved so far is still not enough.”

ALL VEHICLES ARE GOING GREEN. This will help muchly.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Uncle Milty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Speaking of green vehicles. Why don't i have a car powered by compressed air like Modern Marvels promised!
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phatj » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:Speaking of green vehicles. Why don't i have a car powered by compressed air like Modern Marvels promised!

You're lazy, I guess? Make your own!

they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 pm

The Dude wrote:the globalists are kidnapping our children and enslaving them in mines on Mars

Truth
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 pm

how are you going to compress that air?

Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joboggi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 am

Breath in, breath out.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joboggi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:34 pm

VW announces their last ICE will come out in 2026.

What are your plans for that engine, a MUSEUM?

Seriously I don't think any museum or vehicle will take an ICE circa 2026.

VW in general is spooked.

Elon did his job, his cars are at least an order of magnitude better and so ALL cars will be going electric.

Most of them won't sell, because they are not good enough.

However transportation by fossil fuel will be GONE by , 2050, if not sooner.

Then the Bridget Monihan line, "that runs on gas, it could explode," will be heard every now and again as folks roll out their antiques and what not.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joboggi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:37 pm

ULA sort of lights the candle, but then nothing happened leading to an abort of the NROL 71.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Monkeyboy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:53 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/scie ... YRPaqssZNi

Some 252 million years ago, Earth almost died.

In the oceans, 96 percent of all species became extinct. It’s harder to determine how many terrestrial species vanished, but the loss was comparable.

This mass extinction, at the end of the Permian Period, was the worst in the planet’s history, and it happened over a few thousand years at most — the blink of a geological eye.

On Thursday, a team of scientists offered a detailed accounting of how marine life was wiped out during the Permian-Triassic mass extinction. Global warming robbed the oceans of oxygen, they say, putting many species under so much stress that they died off.

And we may be repeating the process, the scientists warn.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 am

Oh great. Now the deniers will use that as proof that fossil fuels have nothing to do with it.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!