A Thread Wherein We Spoil True Detective

Re: A Thread Wherein We Spoil True Detective

Postby heyeaglefn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:10 am

CalvinBall wrote:Wait why did ray drive to sequoia national park and then attempt to run with an unzipped bag of money?

Basically ended the same way, in that the bad guys win but the light is still shining (ani and company walking purposefully).

That scene with Ray made no sense.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jamiethekiller » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:13 am

not sure he tried to run with the unzipped bag of money. more that his weapons were in that bag and the money falling out was more comic relief than anything.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Rockinghorse » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:59 am

All these details serve to point out that there were just too many details, so who really cares when they're resolved?

Ray was the father all along, oh. And he got Ani pregnant too, ok. His dad predicted his death in a dream, whatever. All the women and orphan kids survived, does that mean anything? Meh. They didn't resolve the weird doctor and Ani family storylines, but again, who cares?
Rockinghorse
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby stevelxa476 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 am

heyeaglefn wrote:
CalvinBall wrote:Wait why did ray drive to sequoia national park and then attempt to run with an unzipped bag of money?

Basically ended the same way, in that the bad guys win but the light is still shining (ani and company walking purposefully).

That scene with Ray made no sense.

He was trying to drive some place with good cell reception so he could upload that voicemail to his son. Oh wait, he drove to probably the place with the worth cell reception. :!:
Yes son. I'm the best mono-thingy guy there ever was.
stevelxa476
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:54 am

how #$!&@ is LTE in Los Angeles county I mean seriously
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:11 am

ohhh thats what he was trying to upload? i thought it was some evidence on the bad guys or something. jesus, that show sucked.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Frank Grimes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:26 am

enjoyed the finale! there is so much garbage on tv, its weird to me that TD is where people draw the line and get in a huff. No buddy cop storylines and no yellow king and no tracking shot, but this season carried a very odd and unsettling tone that no other show on tv right now touches. Was it challenging and weird? Definitely. But good art is supposed to challenge you and take you out of your comfort zone. I won't sit here and say it was perfect -- compared to conventional crime dramas, it was definitely sloppy and acting and writing had flaws here and there. But you definitely get out what you put in with shows like this and it seems like that 98 percent of the viewing public went into this season just assuming it was going to be bad and the early reviews helped spread that opinion. If you go into something like this hoping it fails, then you're most likely going to think it sucks. just my two cents -- looking forward to season 3
Voted Funniest BSGer '13, '14, '15, '17, '18
Frank Grimes
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Grotewold » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 am

People get in a huff about everything on the internet. I think the problem is that Pizzolatto put himself way out on the genius auteur corner with very little to back it up. The people who flipped out about the Vaughn casting and/or thought it would suffer without Fukunaga (da real mvp) weren't wrong.

Having said that, I do appreciate his willingness to swing hard and will try Season 3
Last edited by Grotewold on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jamiethekiller » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 am

i've only see the finale. so i think i have a leg to stand on. the season suffered because there was weird horror music CONSTANTLY playing in every scene.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:14 am

I think the season would have benefitted from a bit more simple plot. It all just seemed so needlessly complex at times that it was hard to follow

Also, I'm not even really sure what the point of Paul's character was, in retrospect. I'm trying to think how the show would have been any worse if he didn't exist and I'm not coming up with much. Maybe a better actor could have added something

Still, I always looked forward to watching it somehow. I'll grade this season: "Highly watchable mess"
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby uncle milt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:42 am

still have no idea why they spent so much time on stan
uncle milt
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby heyeaglefn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:21 pm

uncle milt wrote:still have no idea why they spent so much time on stan

What was it 10 minutes out of of 510 at the most?
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Dude » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:22 pm

heyeaglefn is playing the role of me in defense of TD last year
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Youseff » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:26 pm

they are the current torch bearer of that new trend that people in tv dramas have to mumble everything

I didn't understand it but I'm usually a few beers in by 9 Sundays

I watched the Sopranos season 3 episode 1 (classic) afterwards
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby uncle milt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:48 pm

heyeaglefn wrote:
uncle milt wrote:still have no idea why they spent so much time on stan

What was it 10 minutes out of of 510 at the most?

i guess when you put it that way...
uncle milt
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby heyeaglefn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:01 pm

The Dude wrote:heyeaglefn is playing the role of me in defense of TD last year

heyeaglefn wrote:Pretty terrible.

?
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PTOITWCFTPP » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:43 pm

Pile of dog poop
“I don’t coach losers, I only coach winners.” Mike Krzyzewski

"This is a normal collar. Move on. Find a new slant."
PTOITWCFTPP

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Frank Grimes wrote:enjoyed the finale! there is so much garbage on tv, its weird to me that TD is where people draw the line and get in a huff. No buddy cop storylines and no yellow king and no tracking shot, but this season carried a very odd and unsettling tone that no other show on tv right now touches. Was it challenging and weird? Definitely. But good art is supposed to challenge you and take you out of your comfort zone. I won't sit here and say it was perfect -- compared to conventional crime dramas, it was definitely sloppy and acting and writing had flaws here and there. But you definitely get out what you put in with shows like this and it seems like that 98 percent of the viewing public went into this season just assuming it was going to be bad and the early reviews helped spread that opinion. If you go into something like this hoping it fails, then you're most likely going to think it sucks. just my two cents -- looking forward to season 3

I agree its a lot better than a lot of the detritous, pablum or predictable TV on - and I became ok with the casting more or less - it was uneven at times - and the thing really - is that it tried so hard to be a style and a feeling, that the story was a bit mangled and difficult. I know with shows like these, it's often uneven and some scenes worked better and some worse. Ray grew on me over the season, as did Frank. I didn't have a problem with Ray and Ani finally hooking up, but the two women waiting for men who were never coming... meh... I wanted more of a payout for my 8 episode investment. I wanted something to kind of work out, though I knew a showrunner like this, wouldn't, couldn't do it -- it was difficult to see all 3 male leads get taken out all of them leaving loving women and kids behind...

I get that outlaws can't often prosper in the end - but there was alsmot some satisfaction in Frank and Ray committing the heist and maybe - maybe it would have been cooler to have them actually all make it to Venezuela with the money. And just let it be. Didn't have to be Dan Akyroyd and Eddie Murphy at the end of Trading Places on yachts in the Carribean laughing - but maybe somehow some way - they just "got out" with a win. A lot more satisfying after such a convoluted story.

To add the post-log where we see the Catalyst Group and young Tony all prospering, that the fck who shot Woodrugh and Ray didn't get got - meh.

There were some good parts and teh style part worked at times. My big word is "uneven". It had better moments and worse. The mood worked a lot of the time. I thought in the end, all 4 main characters did a good job.

Compared to Leftovers, Ray Donovan, The Bridge, it had its merits. Also not fair to compare to Season 1. That one also left some mystery and unfulfilled stuff about the deeper layers of corruption and powerful old family.

This one needed some tighter story tuning and then unfolding - but overall - it was worth the time. I'd give it in total a B. But there were some A moments and some C moments. Maybe a couple D moments.
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby gr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Two words: sh*t sandwich
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby pacino » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:43 am

Youseff wrote:they are the current torch bearer of that new trend that people in tv dramas have to mumble everything

I didn't understand it but I'm usually a few beers in by 9 Sundays

I watched the Sopranos season 3 episode 1 (classic) afterwards

every discussion in King's Landing needs subtitles for me to understand what they're saying they're speaking so low
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!