A Thread Wherein We Spoil True Detective

Re: A Thread Wherein We Spoil True Detective

Postby TomatoPie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:29 am

After building momentum in Eps 6 and 7, I had hopes for the finale, but it sucked. So much angst-y chats, bad tie-ins to minor characters. The only good part was shooting up the Russkies.

Speaking of which, how many characters died this season? I’m going to go out on a limb and say all of them, minus maybe half a dozen. So why couldn’t that trite, mood-inducing indie bar singer have been among the casualties? The revelation of the upstairs hideout was the perfect opportunity for her to be caught in crossfire. Tonight she was even singing when the bar was empty. I propose a True Detective horror spinoff in which she pursues Ani and Jordan across Latin America like a bad dream, guitar and depressing vibes in hand.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... on/400868/
Kill the chicken to scare the monkey
TomatoPie
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Warszawa » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Don't know what everyone is #$!&@ complaining about. Season 2 was great. Best show on TV next to GoT.
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27 am

Well lots of people expressed their complaints in this thread. Read it and you'll know.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:33 pm

Warszawa wrote:Don't know what everyone is #$!&@ complaining about. Season 2 was great. Best show on TV next to GoT.

A Mr. Robot is on line 2, would like a word
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Warszawa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:58 am

Woody wrote:
Warszawa wrote:Don't know what everyone is #$!&@ complaining about. Season 2 was great. Best show on TV next to GoT.

I plan to start that as soon as I'm done Wayward Pines
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:07 am

Warszawa wrote:
Woody wrote:

I plan to start that as soon as I'm done Wayward Pines

I have to give this to Wayward Pines: There aren't too many episodes and they aren't very long.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Two unreliable narrators. A teacher reading poems that I only can assume are clues to the plot. West Memphis 3 type crime?

I'm into it.
CalvinBall

Postby cartersDad26 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Season 3 is off to a real good start.
cartersDad26
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Titlehungry » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:39 am

Totally forgot they were still doing this but I liked the first episode... have to watch the second one tomorrow
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Rockinghorse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:38 am

Definitely echoes season 1 in several ways. Really well acted and suspenseful. Using the bleak winter small town atmosphere to heighten the dread. Hauling the detective in for interviews years later. Creepy little figures.

And so far, the flash forwards add interesting bits of information, rather than being used to confuse viewers a la Westworld.
Rockinghorse
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby CFP » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 am

The episode-end short recaps with Pizzolatto make him out to be one of the biggest douchebags out there. He looks like the kind of guy you'd try to make a joke with and he would never laugh at you
CFP

Postby joe table » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:38 pm

it’ll presumably pick up when blade comes after Stephen dorfffff character but straw dolls AGAIN? Come on
joe table

Postby gr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:33 am

For reasons not really clear to me, i went back and binged season 2 across 3 nights and it's not as bad as i remember thinking it was as viewing experience, but the writing took a thousand shortcuts and there's no reason to care about the characters or the mystery. Didn't think Vaughn was that bad. Music bedding was really overdone in spots. Think if Nic had more time to put it together, could have been good or not so hate-able.

Still love the intro, thx LenCo.

On to season 3.
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Would seem that the Chicken people are behind it.

The monlogue at the end that Amelia gives basically spells out what happened in 1990. Seems Hayes get back on the case as we see. He must figure it out and then kill whoever did it (brings their scalps out of the woods). He left something behind and has been covering up ever since. It's why it takes endless note and records himself, so he doesn't get something wrong.

The woman interviewing him must know somehow.
CalvinBall

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:20 pm

As quickly mentioned in the tv thread, I'm pretty much in line with this review
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Don't think that reviewer understands the show all that well. The children matter to Hays. Hes only been panicked twice-- when he finds the boys dead body and when his daughter goes missing. Outside of that he has been pretty level. You can add in when he talks to Amelia about the Walmart incident. Again, however, that is about kids.
CalvinBall

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:14 pm

CalvinBall wrote:Don't think that reviewer understands the show all that well. The children matter to Hays. Hes only been panicked twice-- when he finds the boys dead body and when his daughter goes missing. Outside of that he has been pretty level. You can add in when he talks to Amelia about the Walmart incident. Again, however, that is about kids.

I'm not understanding your comment all that well. Where does she indicate anything other than that the kids matter to Hays?

After the heart-stopping fear of losing his daughter, and the inseparable way the Purcell case still gnaws at him...

Maybe it's in there. My point of agreement is that it can feel manipulative in that it forces the characters to behave in inexplicable ways simply to extend the mystery, and those moments are jarring. for me the most annoying was:

It’s hard to credit that two experienced detectives took a full week to wonder why the children lied about their destination the day they disappeared.

Other intentional omissions are there not via inexplicable actions but simply because we're not privy to facts or conversations that may have occurred off-screen. That's not such a bother-it may turn out to be the best way to tell a complicated story. But it hasn't quite proven that yet. I enjoy it, and I believe the reviewer does too. But atmosphere and performance aren't everything certainly, particularly in a procedural.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:41 am

Was this any good after the first season? Watched the first one and in the end came to the conclusion that the best thing about it was the song in the opening credits.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

Postby mickbayne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Wolfgang622 wrote:Was this any good after the first season? Watched the first one and in the end came to the conclusion that the best thing about it was the song in the opening credits.

You clearly weren't paying attention during the Alexandra Daddario nude scene :lol:

But in all seriousness, most folks seem to consider season one good to great and season two kinda crappy.
Another day, another box of stolen pens.
mickbayne
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:37 pm

I liked season 2 a lot \-;)_/

I'm mostly with swish on this season. I'm enjoying it and intrigued by the time and memory stuff but the central case gets backburnered for so long that it's kind of a headscratcher when it comes back into focus and they're asking basic questions. of course the whole thing may be misremembered or imagined. feel like the writers have made themselves a tiny needle to thread but I hope they can pull it off
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!