PIZZA is the New Orange

Re: PIZZA is the New Orange

Postby Titlehungry » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 pm

I lived in Kingston/Forty Fort for three years and there are more pizza places than any other business up there... I don't love Old Forge style... there is a some good stuff in that area though
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Uncle Milty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Made progress on my homemade dough. High heat of the grill is critical - still refining top heat. Next step is to see if it's acceptable after freezing. Onto the sauce...

Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:24 pm

For homemade pizza that looks pretty darn good.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jamiethekiller » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:38 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YU7AtijF6XY45Fvk8

think this is 50/50 00 and flour.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby TomatoPie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:How did I live that close and never hear of Old Forge style pizza?

Some of it is very good. I'm partial to Elio G's and the "fried" Sicilian at Pizza Perfect in Trucksville
Kill the chicken to scare the monkey
TomatoPie
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 pm

swishnicholson wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Anyone heard anything about the Angelo's Pizzeria opening in the old Sarcone's Deli spot in South Philly. Last I can find is Michael Klein note tht it is opening "soon" in september. Has two google reviews, but I think they've mistaken the location.

Angelo's was Danny Digiampietro's spot in Haddonfield where they made absolutely fantastic pizza (even if they did frequently run out or get behind).. Decided to expand to Philly when the Sarcone's spot opened up, at which point of course they then lost their lease in Haddonfield. walked by 9th and Fitzwater New Year's eve, and didn't see any signs of life.

Edit: Ah, per the twitters and instagram from 7 days ago: "All the rest of the equipment getting delivered today...this nightmare is coming to an end. The tide is coming in." Plan to open "some time after new Year's"

definitely worth checking out when and if they arrive.

Edit: apparently opening middle of next week.

Edit, edit:

Beloved Haddonfield pizzeria reopens in South Philly next week with ‘every kind of pie’
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Titlehungry » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 am

TomatoPie wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:How did I live that close and never hear of Old Forge style pizza?

Some of it is very good. I'm partial to Elio G's and the "fried" Sicilian at Pizza Perfect in Trucksville

When I lived there, we'd get Pizza Bella in Forty Fort every Friday night
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MrsVox » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am

Uncle Milty wrote:Made progress on my homemade dough. High heat of the grill is critical - still refining top heat. Next step is to see if it's acceptable after freezing. Onto the sauce...

That crust looks awesome.

Here's a simple sauce that is pretty awesome, IMO. From this site. I used to make this dough all the time, but switched to the one in my JoC cookbook. Will try the Serious Eats one now that I have a real food processor.

1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Pinch of sugar, if desired

Place tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl and give the tomatoes a little squeeze so they release any trapped juices. Let them drain for 30 minutes.
Add salt, garlic, red pepper flakes and sugar (if the tomatoes taste overly acidic to you), to the tomatoes and blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until they reach your desired sauce texture.

That's it. no cooking the sauce or anything. I find that it doesn't take 30 minutes to drain the tomatoes, but I squash them up pretty well at the start.
MrsVox
Site Admin

Postby TomatoPie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 am

MrsVox wrote:Here's a simple sauce that is pretty awesome, IMO. From this site. I used to make this dough all the time, but switched to the one in my JoC cookbook. Will try the Serious Eats one now that I have a real food processor.

1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Pinch of sugar, if desired

Place tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl and give the tomatoes a little squeeze so they release any trapped juices. Let them drain for 30 minutes.
Add salt, garlic, red pepper flakes and sugar (if the tomatoes taste overly acidic to you), to the tomatoes and blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until they reach your desired sauce texture.

That's it. no cooking the sauce or anything. I find that it doesn't take 30 minutes to drain the tomatoes, but I squash them up pretty well at the start.

Good stuff!

For most pizzas, indeed an uncooked sauce works best, made from simple canned tomatoes - whole or crushed. Look for brands with less calcium chloride in the can. Muir is great and generally easy to find. Most Marzanos are fake. If you are going Trenton tomato pie instead of pizza, skip the blender, leave 'em chunky, and apply over the cheese.

Unless you drink the drained tomato juices (NTTAWWT), i will often put them in a saucepan and boil them down, then add back to the crushed tomatoes.

I've found, often, that the legendary best-loved pizzas are very salty. I'm not afraid to add salt to my sauce. I am a salt fiend, however. So I often go light on the salt and then just add surface salt to my slices. Try it, you may like it.
TomatoPie
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Uncle Milty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks Mrs. Vox.

My sauce was similar. Black pepper instead of red and a little oregano. I used Muir Glen - tried a can of their San Marzano style also but liked their 'regular" product better (it also yielded more from the tomatoes). I only split the tomatoes to drain the seeds and liquid then right in the blender. I'll try your method next time since it was a little thinner than I like and ended up cooking it down.

As for the dough I've become a huge believer in an autolyse stage. Other than it's simply bread flour, water, preferment and salt. Considering Ischia or Camaldoli starter but it's so pricey.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MrsVox » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 am

I made that dough yesterday for tonight's dinner. Took more mixing than I expected to get it smooth. We'll see tonight if it was worth the effort of cleaning the food processor.

Unfortunately, when cooking for 5, we Garveys will often take the easy road over the end product.
MrsVox
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Milty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:43 am

MrsVox wrote:I made that dough yesterday for tonight's dinner. Took more mixing than I expected to get it smooth. We'll see tonight if it was worth the effort of cleaning the food processor.

Unfortunately, when cooking for 5, we Garveys will often take the easy road over the end product.

Assuming you meant the dough in your link it appears to be a high hydration dough (80% doing it in my head). They always seemed to take more mixing for me especially depending on the flour I used.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MrsVox » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:
MrsVox wrote:I made that dough yesterday for tonight's dinner. Took more mixing than I expected to get it smooth. We'll see tonight if it was worth the effort of cleaning the food processor.

Assuming you meant the dough in your link it appears to be a high hydration dough (80% doing it in my head). They always seemed to take more mixing for me especially depending on the flour I used.

I really shouldn't post first thing in the morning. I had a problem with the food processor dough from Serious Eats. Not a problem, it was just pretty rough after the specified time in the processor. So I ran it again, and kneaded it myself. It's proving on the counter right now after an overnight in the fridge.
MrsVox
Site Admin

Postby JUburton » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 am

MrsVox wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:

I really shouldn't post first thing in the morning. I had a problem with the food processor dough from Serious Eats. Not a problem, it was just pretty rough after the specified time in the processor. So I ran it again, and kneaded it myself. It's proving on the counter right now after an overnight in the fridge.
Yeah, it generally takes me more than 15 seconds, though the last time I did it was in some garbage hamilton beach processor.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:37 pm

Angelo's of South Philadelphia, that I'd noted up the thread and was excited to see open, is now closed again. Had a heralded shop that I loved in Haddonfield, had planned an additional location in the old Sarcone's Deli spot, and then were kicked out of their Haddonfield spot when the owner decided to redevelop the building. Took 18 months to get going in the South Philly location due to various headaches and were barely open a week and not even fully operational (though featured on Channel 3 ) when an overnight fire shut them down again.

good luck to them, though they do seem snakebit.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:20 pm

All 37 frozen pizzas available in New Jersey ranked

Warning: the photos of some of the lower ranking contenders are not safe for sensitive eyes.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:56 pm

Freschetta makes a good frozen pizza as far as frozen pizzas go. Probably my favorite. Red Baron and DiGiorno are decent. Tombstone isn’t great, but they’re often BOGO around here, and they’re good enough. Ate a ton of Totino’s as a kid, so I have a soft spot for them. Tried the Screamin' Sicilian and was disappointed. Didn’t seem to cook evenly, though that could very well be my crappy oven.

Not on that list is Chicago’s Home Run Inn pizza, which I tried a while back. Saw the picture on the box and thought it looked really good. Of course, I knew it wouldn’t actually look like that once I cooked it. But to my surprise it did! I was excited. And then I tasted it. Definitely the worst frozen pizza I’ve ever had despite being the best looking one. I think I only ate one slice and threw the rest away.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jerseyhoya » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:03 am

Don't always agree with Genovese's stuff, but always enjoy reading his write ups. Does a lot of fun things on NJ restaurant rankings/best pizza/burger/etc.
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am

Lost any credibility with me by ranking Ellio's that high

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TomatoPie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:21 am

jerseyhoya wrote:Don't always agree with Genovese's stuff, but always enjoy reading his write ups. Does a lot of fun things on NJ restaurant rankings/best pizza/burger/etc.

Genovese is my hero. I wouldn't rank them the same way, but he knows from which he speaks. When in Jersey, I follow his lead.

He missed this in the Whole Foods freezer case: Roberta's pizza. Hands down the best:

I'd put Trader Giotto in 2nd place.

He disses DiGiorno, but I use it as my measuring stick. Most mom-n-pop Sysco pies aren't even as good as that frozen pie.
TomatoPie
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Previous

Return to Here We Go Again!