Flip The Table! It's the BOARD GAME THREAD!

Re: Flip The Table! It's the BOARD GAME THREAD!

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am

i like that posting in this thread is basically the bat signal for frank grimes
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 am

Dominion is tight
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Soren » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:16 am

Another instance of Catan almost coming to blows last night, I made an illegal play (didn't realize I was breaking the rules) by trying to extort someone before moving the thief. End result was that I got information on who had wheat in their hand which I wound up stealing.

Post this I was accused of being a dickbag cheater, so I just quietly threw away the resources I had that would have gone to building a city and then did just about nothing for the rest of a game that lasted another hour or so.
I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise & stronger.
Soren
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Werthless » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 am

:(
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am

try playing with friends rather than enemies
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Frank Grimes » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:31 pm

CalvinBall wrote:i like that posting in this thread is basically the bat signal for frank grimes

can't keep up with anything else on these here threads!

Soren wrote:Another instance of Catan almost coming to blows last night, I made an illegal play (didn't realize I was breaking the rules) by trying to extort someone before moving the thief. End result was that I got information on who had wheat in their hand which I wound up stealing.

Post this I was accused of being a dickbag cheater, so I just quietly threw away the resources I had that would have gone to building a city and then did just about nothing for the rest of a game that lasted another hour or so.

this doesn't sound like cheating to me. just gotta own being the bad guy.

Been going steady in Pandemic: Legacy and it's been an amazing gaming experience. The group's been me and three friends, two of which were dating. They broke up and now we're down to 3, but my friend hasn't wanted to play because she said it would bring up bad memories -_- We're close to finishing this damn thing, too, so it's not like i can recruit new people near the end of the campaign. UGH!
Voted Funniest BSGer '13, '14, '15, '17, '18
Frank Grimes
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

evil genius has a board game night tonight. see you there!
CalvinBall

Postby jamiethekiller » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 am

i'll go if you pay for my beers
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Wheels Tupay » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Evil Genius is a pretty weird place.
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay

Postby CalvinBall » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:34 pm

in what sense?
CalvinBall

Postby Wheels Tupay » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 pm

The whole set-up of the brewery. It gives off a weird vibe. They attach their beer lists to VCR video cases
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm

played sushi go and captain sonar last night at board game club!

i liked both.

captain sonar is really wild. pretty much just pure chaos. not sure what the strategy is. each person on your team has a different role and you are trying to find the other teams sub in real time. think i would have to play a bunch more to get a real hold on it.
CalvinBall

Postby Werthless » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Paid $20 to go to a board game night at my kid's elementary school. Now I learned it's actually just Bingo. False advertising!
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 pm

anything goes in trump's america
CalvinBall

Postby Frank Grimes » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 am

CalvinBall wrote:played sushi go and captain sonar last night at board game club!

i liked both.

captain sonar is really wild. pretty much just pure chaos. not sure what the strategy is. each person on your team has a different role and you are trying to find the other teams sub in real time. think i would have to play a bunch more to get a real hold on it.

Still odd to me I haven't played Sushi Go yet. Captain Sonar sounds tight but not sure any of my friends out here are willing to pick up a game that only plays 8 (at least I think it 8 is the magic number right?)

Played some very fun games on Saturday with Board Game Crew. Mission: Red Planet, For Sale, and Hanabi.

Highlight of the bunch for me was For Sale. This game is plays super quick but one of those games you'll wanna play multiple rounds of. Takes the fun parts of Monopoly and ditches everything else. Auction off properties with the aim of collecting a set of properties with high point values. You then sell off those properties to get the highest dollars in round 2. Hard to explain, but it's definitely solid. I'll probably be adding it to the collection.

Hanabi is a fun co-op card game where you're trying to build a set from 1-5 with multiple suits. The catch is you don't know what cards you have but you can see everyone else's. Very fun and super lightweight.

Red Planet was the heaviest and is worker placement/zone control highest victory point wins. Really enjoyed the theme and the mechanics are easy enough to understand. It's maybe a little long but we had 6 players. I'd imagine it goes quicker with 4.

Still in a rut with Pandemic Legacy. Probably won't ever finish it unless I solo it, which is a bummer.

Happy gaming!
Voted Funniest BSGer '13, '14, '15, '17, '18
Frank Grimes
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Soren » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 am

Hey so maybe this thread should have been bumped a week or so ago but PAX Unplugged wrapped up yesterday. This year was the second year I went and if any of you enjoy tabletop gaming I highly recommend it. Great place to check out/demo some new games, interact with the studios that developed them or just take advantage of the library and free play tables. I personally got in a Pathfinder Society game, some Magic the Gathering drafts, a live podcast recording and yesterday my wife and I playtested a few games we wound up buying.

If I could recommend one thing that we tried it would be Unearth. The setup takes some work but it's an easy game to get started with, plays well with just 2 players (haven't tried with more than 2) and it has enough strategy/randomness that it feels like it has good replayability.
I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise & stronger.
Soren

Postby JUburton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

Thx to woody for RTing Keith Law to see Amazon is having a big board game sale today.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby slugsrbad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 am

Soren wrote:Hey so maybe this thread should have been bumped a week or so ago but PAX Unplugged wrapped up yesterday. This year was the second year I went and if any of you enjoy tabletop gaming I highly recommend it. Great place to check out/demo some new games, interact with the studios that developed them or just take advantage of the library and free play tables. I personally got in a Pathfinder Society game, some Magic the Gathering drafts, a live podcast recording and yesterday my wife and I playtested a few games we wound up buying.

If I could recommend one thing that we tried it would be Unearth. The setup takes some work but it's an easy game to get started with, plays well with just 2 players (haven't tried with more than 2) and it has enough strategy/randomness that it feels like it has good replayability.

Bought the game for my friend. If it sucks I’ll blame bad internet recommendations.
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

Postby Soren » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 am

:mrgreen:
Soren

Postby Wolfgang622 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:06 pm

JUburton wrote:Thx to woody for RTing Keith Law to see Amazon is having a big board game sale today.

Damn, I missed it.

My son has started showing the first glimmer of interest in board game - in that, he likes to pull them out of the boxes and play with the parts. But I'll take it; I miss board games.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!