Philadelphia Restaurants: Second Seating

Re: Philadelphia Restaurants: Second Seating

Postby mickbayne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 am

swishnicholson wrote:Went to Royal Sushi for the first time on Wednesday. The sushi was absolutely spectacular. We had the 18 piece nigiri omokase and it was a fantastic assortment of incredible flavors, absolutely as fresh as could be. Watching the skill with which it is prepared at the counter directly in front of you is also fascinating.I like sushi, but I'll have to wait a while before I go anywhere else since I think I'm spoiled for a long time.

Definitely a special occasion place,as the omokase runs $130 a person (some people were even adding additional pieces from the ala carte menu, so maybe they'r even more special than I am).Only thing I was slightly disappointed with is that while they do have an extensive list of sakes and other spirits and someone able to offer a lot of excellent advice in choosing them, I might have preferred a specific sake course, so I could also get more familiar with these. I think it would have added to the evening, and s with many of the bottles being very expensive it would have been nice to have a taste of some. As it was we ended up with a carafe of a very nice, dry sake, and that was plenty to take us through a meal.

I haven't eaten in the Izakaya yet, but would be glad to do so. The sushi rolls are prepared at the same counter as the nigiri and looked wonderful,though not part of our meal. While the Sushi bar's 10 seats quickly fill up with reservations 30 days out, the Izakaya takes no reservations at all. A good tip might be to check out when the seatings are for the sushi bar, as often the seats at the (drinking) bar are filled up with people waiting for dinner in back, as they hold you up until everything is ready. When the dinner seating comes, seats often open up at the bar, which would be a comfortable place to dine and watch the anime projected on the walls. There's a nice selection of whiskeys, beer and wine along the sakes.

Nice! I started following the chef on instagram because he'll occasionally post when a last minute omakase seat becomes available. Hasn't worked out for me yet but hopefully will get in there on a random weekday night soon. The izakaya is great and other than when they first opened I've never had a problem getting a seat at the bar right away when stopping by the way home from work. I usually get the draft sake, some yakitori, and a sushi roll or two. They also have great chashu buns and a fantastic chicken yakisoba that's not on the regular menu but is occasionally available as a special. I got hooked on trying yakisoba from all the different teriyaki restaurants in Seattle and have never really found anything that compares in Philly until Royal Izakaya.
Another day, another box of stolen pens.
mickbayne
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PrattRules » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 am

I hear parking is rough though.
"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza
PrattRules
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby mickbayne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:26 am

Just do valet :lol:
Another day, another box of stolen pens.
mickbayne
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:27 am

$130 for fish they didn't even cook?
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 am

Uncle Milty wrote:$130 for fish they didn't even cook?

Some stuff they put a blowtorch to. I admit that sounds a little half-hearted.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am

creme brulee fish!
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Savior » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 am

jamiethekiller wrote:Mike's BBQ is really really good. Haven't had smokehaus tho. (They're right around the corner from each other)

This place rocked yesterday. Highly recommmend. The homemade sauces were even incredible.

South Philly Smokehouse is next.
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby JUburton » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am

Managed to get a reservation for 6 at Zahav for a Sunday in April. Had to be on open table at 12:02am and still there was was only a 615 and 815.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 am

JUburton wrote:Managed to get a reservation for 6 at Zahav for a Sunday in April. Had to be on open table at 12:02am and still there was was only a 615 and 815.

We randomly got one for two for Feb 25 at 530 just a few weeks ago.
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby JUburton » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 am

CalvinBall wrote:
JUburton wrote:Managed to get a reservation for 6 at Zahav for a Sunday in April. Had to be on open table at 12:02am and still there was was only a 615 and 815.

We randomly got one for two for Feb 25 at 530 just a few weeks ago.
Yeah, seems like that is possible sometimes but I think they might only have 3 reservations for parties of 6 each night. I've looked at like 7am each of the last three or four weeks and they were always booked by then for sat/sun. Enjoy!

I'm a little bummed the Mesibah is no more but I'm sure it's still great.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Previous

Return to Here We Go Again!