Fitter, Happier, More Productive (Fitness thread)

Re: Fitter, Happier, More Productive (Fitness thread)

Postby The B1G Piece » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Trent Steele wrote:
The B1G Piece wrote:I've dropped 25 pounds since the Super Bowl. Go Birds.

Mid-size piece?

yup
The B1G Piece
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:21 am

Workin that core eeryday
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 am

That's great. What has worked best for you?
CalvinBall

Postby Napalm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Keepin it simple, allowing for variation.

: sit-ups, oblique crunches, planks, and toe-to-bar pullups. From the pull-up bar, I can variate with rotation curls or straight leg pullups or just hanging static holds.
: kettlebell goblet squats because it helps the hips too. From there, i'm just starting to use the kettlebell, but windmills seem to be a nice move.

negatives, rep tempo, and time under tension are all in play here. The goal is a pyramid core, triangulating the space between my hips up to the center of my chest. I've also found it important to take care of your back while you build up front.
Napalm

Postby Slowhand » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 am

This dude is literally taking 5-7 minutes between sets on the bench at 135. Urge to kill rising.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PrattRules » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Call him a bro and ask if he minds you working in. Then bench 225 in his face and tell him not to mess with daddy weight.
"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza
PrattRules
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joboggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:52 am

PrattRules wrote:Call him a bro and ask if he minds you working in. Then bench 225 in his face and tell him not to mess with daddy weight.

All but the last part and the bro part

After don't say a word.

And there was a time when 135 was your limit.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Slowhand » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 am

Well, just to clarify, I’m not making fun of the 135 weight per se, since I’m in no position to judge anyone else’s strength levels, and in reality this guy was I'm sure stronger than me. He was knocking out 8-10 reps with it easily with plenty left in the tank. Taking several minutes between sets really only makes sense if you’re doing like 1-3 true max reps. Also, I wasn’t going to be benching, but squatting. There’s one bar and bench/squat power rack, so we would’ve needed to move the bench and weights in between each set yadda yadda. Oh well. Got a little (very little) cardio while waiting.
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:34 am

change your username to weakarms
CalvinBall

Postby Werthless » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm looking forward to getting some lifting in with a snow shovel this weekend.
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joboggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Slowhand wrote:Well, just to clarify, I’m not making fun of the 135 weight per se, since I’m in no position to judge anyone else’s strength levels, and in reality this guy was I'm sure stronger than me. He was knocking out 8-10 reps with it easily with plenty left in the tank. Taking several minutes between sets really only makes sense if you’re doing like 1-3 true max reps. Also, I wasn’t going to be benching, but squatting. There’s one bar and bench/squat power rack, so we would’ve needed to move the bench and weights in between each set yadda yadda. Oh well. Got a little (very little) cardio while waiting.

Just buy a set of therabands by the box, and walk.

Injury reduced me to that and it's been fine. Of course I only long toss once a week but am generally trim and fit. That is thanks to lots of broken therapy bands. You have to work around the broken down joints.

The NYT 7 minute workout is also for you. That is all you need, but you can also repeat it several times a day.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/ ... blogs&_r=0

If you are going to lift use a trainer or my favorite physical therapist Jeff Cavaliere.

If you actually want to get ripped Jeff's programs are excellent.

I am on the damaged shoulder routine for awhile now and it's been the most thorough. And it's free.

The 90 day program is not free, but looks great.

Thera band and 7 minute workout has allowed me to maintain ++

I would like to graduate to the 90 day and go leanest. That is for the day I can use my shoulder and ankle fully which will be this year, hopefully.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joboggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Plus who goes to a gym with so little equipment.

Get in this Lane.

It is the NORMAL lane. It comes with so many things, they are all normal.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Wheels Tupay » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm

joboggi wrote:
Slowhand wrote:Well, just to clarify, I’m not making fun of the 135 weight per se, since I’m in no position to judge anyone else’s strength levels, and in reality this guy was I'm sure stronger than me. He was knocking out 8-10 reps with it easily with plenty left in the tank. Taking several minutes between sets really only makes sense if you’re doing like 1-3 true max reps. Also, I wasn’t going to be benching, but squatting. There’s one bar and bench/squat power rack, so we would’ve needed to move the bench and weights in between each set yadda yadda. Oh well. Got a little (very little) cardio while waiting.

Injury reduced me to that and it's been fine. Of course I only long toss once a week but am generally trim and fit. That is thanks to lots of broken therapy bands. You have to work around the broken down joints.

The NYT 7 minute workout is also for you. That is all you need, but you can also repeat it several times a day.

If you are going to lift use a trainer or my favorite physical therapist Jeff Cavaliere.

I am on the damaged shoulder routine for awhile now and it's been the most thorough. And it's free.

I would like to graduate to the 90 day and go leanest. That is for the day I can use my shoulder and ankle fully which will be this year, hopefully.

do you have a link to that free cavaliere program? love that dude.
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby joboggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Wheels Tupay wrote:
joboggi wrote:

Four steps to reduced shoulder pain

Will find it

Otherwise subscribe to the channel.

If you have an area of concern

Google prn, he covers everything
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joboggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm

joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Slowhand » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:36 am

Wheels Tupay wrote:
joboggi wrote:

Yeah, of all the YouTube fitness "experts" he's probably the one guy who actually is. Seems like a good dude, despite being a former FILTHY METS (strength and conditioning coach). I don't watch his videos as much as I used to. Basically only watch the injury prevention/recovery/physical therapy stuff more than his actual workout routines.
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joboggi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 am

Cavaliere is a Physical Therapist. He knows what he is doing. You know you are in the right place if they put their hands on you.

Mutt and Jeff whatever their names are, are also PTs. They are good. Then there is the most scientific of the lot, is Jeff Nippard.

Jeff Cavaliere is the ONLY one that includes extensive stretching.

The lesser trained folks on the net, know this and that, but well, they picked it up here and there.

If you want to learn all of it go to Jeff and then to the other Jeff for the latest research in the field.

I STILL have yet to find a brick and mortar outfit that teaches stretches the way Jeff does. In several out of the way places you get the stretches, but only Jeff stresses them. Jeff has everything in one place.

I was waiting for the Metro and this PT student sat next to me. (Her shirt said PT student) I asked her about the rotator cuff stretches. They did not learn those. I would be in serious pain without those. Not sure why she did not learn those.

I finally found a local PT that put his hands on and so he figured out everything and gave me the correct exercises, but I could not have done them without the stretches. ( look up the SITS muscles individually for the stretches)

Finally Jeff put almost everything in one place on that Shoulder pain video from a year ago. He has had the entire package on his site for some time, but it was broken up.

Stretches of note
Infraspinatus
Subscapularis
Pec Minor
long head of the triceps - Jeff's stretch is particularly effective for this and the biceps and triceps in general.
Lats and Teres major

You realize just how many muscles you have to fix when you get the stretches. Even if you already know the names, and most of the exercises, the stretches bring everything RIGHT to the front.

Soon I will be throwing 95 mph, maybe 100.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Slowhand » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

joboggi wrote:Plus who goes to a gym with so little equipment.

Get in this Lane.

It is the NORMAL lane. It comes with so many things, they are all normal.

It’s the gym at my apartment complex, so it’s sparse in terms of equipment, but FREE and has what I need. It’s actually a small miracle they even have a power rack. I would suspect most apartment gyms don’t—usually just some cardio stuff and a few dumbbells. Actually, the Anytime Fitness gym that I used to go to only had one power rack as well, although they did have more than one barbell so at least they had that going for them.
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:50 am

I took my first ninja/parkour class at a parkour gym yesterday. Highly recommend it. It was incredibly fun, i'm a natural. I'm definitely going back, there's tons of challenges I want to push myself to accomplish. I almost swung 8 feet bar to bar on my first try!
Napalm

Postby Werthless » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

Goal for 2019... running 2k miles. Averaging about 5 miles a day currently, which I'll need to bump up a tad as the year goes on. 2k miles would exceed the combined number of miles from 2012 through 2018 (2018 was around 800 miles, most of it in the second half of the year).
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!