makes me reconsider when I say, "Oh no, another Lisa episode"

Uh, Lisa episodes are fantastic.
Voted Funniest BSGer '13, '14, '15, '17, '18
Frank Grimes
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Re: It's perfectly cromulent to embiggen the SIMPSONS discus

Postby momadance » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:53 am

Titlehungry wrote:Nice celebration... whole team peed on the fans in honor or Tate's acquisition
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PrattRules » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 pm

"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza
PrattRules
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby momadance » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 am

Titlehungry wrote:Nice celebration... whole team peed on the fans in honor or Tate's acquisition
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 am

Love that they keep inviting back Bill Plympton to doing couch gags
FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:19 am

Article from the New York Times on the response to criticism of Apu portrayal in last night's episode.

Or lack of response, I guess. However you feel about it, the article's author's characterization of a poster of Apu with the caption "Don't Have a Cow" as being possibly "interpreted as a jab at Apu’s Hinduism" is one of the more boneheaded things I have ever read in the paper.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 pm

swishnicholson wrote:Article from the New York Times on the response to criticism of Apu portrayal in last night's episode.

Or lack of response, I guess. However you feel about it, the article's author's characterization of a poster of Apu with the caption "Don't Have a Cow" as being possibly "interpreted as a jab at Apu’s Hinduism" is one of the more boneheaded things I have ever read in the paper.

I don’t know, I don't think it's a stretch to think the writers are clever enough to know exactly what they were doing there. Not that I really care, because that's a pretty tame "jab". Everyone on the show is a stereotype, and no ethnic or religious group has been immune to The Simpsons, so I don’t get why Apu is so much more offensive than all the other stereotypes on the show.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bill McNeal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Slowhand wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Article from the New York Times on the response to criticism of Apu portrayal in last night's episode.

I don’t know, I don't think it's a stretch to think the writers are clever enough to know exactly what they were doing there. Not that I really care, because that's a pretty tame "jab". Everyone on the show is a stereotype, and no ethnic or religious group has been immune to The Simpsons, so I don’t get why Apu is so much more offensive than all the other stereotypes on the show.

I think the reason that Apu get's so much blowback in particular is because a white guy voices him and does an over the top accent with stereotypical lines.
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Well that's another thing. Since when does a voice over actor need to look like the character? A middle aged woman has been doing the voices for most of the young boys on the show. The voice is voice is over the top, as is most of the other stereotypical characters on the show.
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bill McNeal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:07 pm

I dunno man, it's 2018 we are offended by everything but at the same time nothing.
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby momadance » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Much Apu about nothing.
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Slowhand wrote:

What I mean by that, since a joke is always funnier when you explain it, is that appending Bart's line to a poster of Apu is clearly a joke referring to his Hinduism. It wouldn't exist as a joke otherwise. But a "joke" is not the same as "jab." The joke is due to the unexpected realization that the line has a separate meaning when attributed to Apu. But it doesn't actually contain any any criticism, hidden or overt, of Hindu attitudes toward cows.

Unless that needs to be explained to me, which is always possible.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Slowhand » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby momadance » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:32 pm

A+
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Rockinghorse » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 am

What a great New Orleans food montage last night. They even hit my wedding location:

Rockinghorse
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby momadance » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 am

momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby momadance » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 pm

momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby momadance » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 pm

momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Wolfgang622 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Slowhand wrote:

Missed all of this at the time, but it would seem the NYT missed that the inscription “Don’t Have a Cow, Man,” on the photo of Apu in that scene is certainly mostly a reference to the episode “Lisa the Vegetarian,” in which Apu serves as the moral voice toward an overly strident Lisa (who becomes perhaps too judgemental of her father in adopting her own new-found vegetarianism), encouraging her to “live and let live.” Before delivering the moral to Lisa, Apu explains he himself is a vegetarian, and asks if she had never seen his t-shirt: a picture of himself with that slogan.

So the current writers may only have been clever enough to reference the old writers, but the old writers were definitely clever enough to think of that gag.

What’s ironic is that The Simpsons has been around so long that the social commentary it has tried to engage in has sort of lapped itself. To wit: there was one episode of the simpsons later where Amos & Andy, and its problematic racial politics, was made, with a tone of mocking disapproval, was made. Of course, arguably the simpsons itself was guilty of the same thing all along.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
Wolfgang622
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby mickbayne » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Hey, Bart, summer's almost here. Which kind of sprinkler do you like?

Another day, another box of stolen pens.
mickbayne
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!