Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 am

well got some good news about my daughter. We took her to another place today. We decided to not tell them about the other diagnosis and just tell them that her back has been hurting since using a climbing wall. Two different doctors looked at her back and said they didn't see a problem. They even did the thing where she leans over and took a look at her back. There didn't appear to be a curve or anything. They didn't do an x-ray though and instead prescribed a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory thing. I think it's basically tylenol in a patch form. The other place said she should come back in a year for another x-ray, but we'll take her back there in 4 months and get another x-ray to see if the curve is still there. She's not standing weird anymore, so I think it was just a muscle injury. Fingers still crossed, but this is very good news. It matches with the fact that we've never noticed any crookedness to her gait or shoulders.

exhale.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
User avatar
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 24655
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Music City

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Phred » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 am

Nice! whew...that's got to be a load off!
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby lethal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Phred wrote:
1 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifestyle/mom-accuses-southwest-airlines-employee-publicly-mocking-5-year-olds-name-131855912.html


The airline employee was definitely in the wrong. You shouldn't mock peoples' names. It is not the person's fault what their name is.

However, when you name your kid what they named their kid, then you have to expect your kid to have their name mocked.

They weren't making fun of the kid, they were making fun of the parents for being asshat and setting their kid up for a lifetime (or at least 18 years) of mockage. After the kid turns 18, if they don't legally change their name, then they are fair game.


I wonder whatever happened to that kid named ESPN.
User avatar
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja
 
Posts: 10347
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: zOMGWTFBBQ?

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Phred wrote:Nice! whew...that's got to be a load off!


Yeh, but I kinda expected it for some reason. I just found it hard to believe we hadn't noticed anything so severe.

My grandmother had a very bad back and literally had something like 15 operations over the years. So I'm still not happy about the situation, but at least now we can focus on increasing strength and flexibility instead of something more stressful.

Hoping the Voxs also get good news when they go back to the doctor's.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
User avatar
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 24655
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Music City

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:
Phred wrote:Nice! whew...that's got to be a load off!


Yeh, but I kinda expected it for some reason. I just found it hard to believe we hadn't noticed anything so severe.

My grandmother had a very bad back and literally had something like 15 operations over the years. So I'm still not happy about the situation, but at least now we can focus on increasing strength and flexibility instead of something more stressful.

Hoping the Voxs also get good news when they go back to the doctor's.


great news, monkeyboy. and yes, best wishes to the Voxes.
Which part? And who are you?
User avatar
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 33288
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: First I was like....And then I was like...

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Slowhand wrote:Obviously ABC 7 would be sympathetic to this story.



"So she took her complaint to ABC7. In a video interview, she recounted the incident. Since then, Southwest Airlines has issued a public apology to Redford and her daughter."

Oddly "ABC7" is what they were going to name their child had she been a boy.
Which part? And who are you?
User avatar
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 33288
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: First I was like....And then I was like...

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby The Savior » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Kid turned 3 last week. Jesus time is going way, way too fast. Feel like I just brought him home. He’s the best - so smart sassy and fun. Cherishing these days!!

Meanwhile #2 gonna be here in a few weeks.
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
User avatar
The Savior
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 26364
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.
Be Bold!
User avatar
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 50916
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Magnolia, AR

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Uncle Milty » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:39 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.

What style is the BBQ?
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
User avatar
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 21360
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Wardrobe by Botany 500

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Slowhand » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.

What style is the BBQ?


Messy.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
User avatar
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 22665
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Fake news

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby smitty » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.

What style is the BBQ?


Arkansas style I bet.
Teams lie, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad. They do it to get an advantage while they look at the trade market or just because they can

--Will Carroll
User avatar
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 44374
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:00 am
Location: Federal Way, WA --Spursville

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Phred » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:34 am

TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.


I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby TenuredVulture » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 am

smitty wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.

What style is the BBQ?


Arkansas style I bet.

Pretty much. Sort of between Memphis and texas style. Spicy tomato based sauce, though they dont use a lot of it. Pork mostly, though they make good brisket.
Be Bold!
User avatar
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 50916
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Magnolia, AR

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 am

Phred wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.


I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.

If those are local BBQ and pizza joints share the names so I can try 'em.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
User avatar
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 21360
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Wardrobe by Botany 500

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Phred » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.


I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.

If those are local BBQ and pizza joints share the names so I can try 'em.


Tony's Pizza in Matthews (NY Style) or Inizio Pizza Napoletana for pizza.

The Rock Store in Stallings for BBQ. Specifically, their chicken is amazing.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Uncle Milty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Phred wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.


I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.

If those are local BBQ and pizza joints share the names so I can try 'em.


Tony's Pizza in Matthews (NY Style) or Inizio Pizza Napoletana for pizza.

The Rock Store in Stallings for BBQ. Specifically, their chicken is amazing.

Think all the Rock Stores are the same? I occasionally hit the one in Mint Hill for brisket.

Tony's is decent - relatively consistent from location to location.

I'll definitely give Inizio a try.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
User avatar
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 21360
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Wardrobe by Botany 500

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Phred » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 am

Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.


I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.

If those are local BBQ and pizza joints share the names so I can try 'em.


Tony's Pizza in Matthews (NY Style) or Inizio Pizza Napoletana for pizza.

The Rock Store in Stallings for BBQ. Specifically, their chicken is amazing.

Think all the Rock Stores are the same? I occasionally hit the one in Mint Hill for brisket.

Tony's is decent - relatively consistent from location to location.

I'll definitely give Inizio a try.


Probably.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Grotewold » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Is it bad that my just-turned-five-year-old can only write out a few letters of his name and doesn't have interest in writing or reading?
User avatar
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 48125
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:40 am

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Werthless » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Grotewold wrote:Is it bad that my just-turned-five-year-old can only write out a few letters of his name and doesn't have interest in writing or reading?

Does s/he start Kindergarten in the fall? If so, there is plenty of time. Be sure to spend plenty of time reading to your child, which will help with language development. My oldest, who is now a 1st grader who can read, showed very little interest in reading or writing before school began.

Ideally, talk to an objective person who knows your child well. A teacher (pre-k?) would be ideal, obviously. Perhaps your child shows an appropriate level of interest in school. The teacher would also be able to suggest ideas for improving their interest.
User avatar
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 11438
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Kids develop at varying paces too. I didn't learn to read really until first grade, (I started 1st grade when I was 6, almost 7) but I learned very quickly at that point and became and still am an avid reader. I am not sure we are doing children any real favors by pushing skills acquisition earlier and earlier.
Be Bold!
User avatar
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 50916
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Magnolia, AR

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Grotewold, mickbayne and 12 guests