Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Uncle Milty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm

*DISCLAIMER* I'm absolutely not a expert on this.

I don't think there's any long-term effect and environment has much to do with it. I was reading and writing before kindergarten mostly I think because I had 2 teenage brothers. It didn't make me a life long reader. The head start didn't carry over to later years of education either. If anything it was a hindrance because I didn't learn to apply the appropriate time and effort to learning at an early age.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:24 pm

thanks guys. we're probably over worrying because we know he watches way too much TV/iPad and his little sister is already near his level. he gets good reports from preschool.

I'll make a point to read more with him though. we did that through age three but once he had his own bed (and tougher routine) the nightly book dropped off
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:23 pm

Reading to your child definitely helps. I think the research is pretty clear on that. My wife reads with my older daughter every night, pretty much without exception. My daughter is 7 and a pretty voracious reader already, just like my wife. Her reading and writing skills have really taken off over the last year after stalling a bit while moving from french to german schools.

But it's also true that kids vary a good bit in their learning. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Well, yes I would because that's what parents do, but as an outsider I don't think you have anything to worry about. Read to him and just give lots of reinforcement. You can also play games in the car looking at signs, etc, to make him more interested in reading the things around him. My daughter reads every sign in the elevator, etc.
Last edited by Monkeyboy on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Dude » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm

My son’s interest in books right now is limited to how big it is and how far he can throw it
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Force him to throw it left-handed!

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 pm

lol
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby phatj » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:21 pm

My wife and I are both avid readers so we expected our children to be as well. The first one is exceptional. Her 5th grade class was challenged to read 375 pages in the first trimester of the school year; she read 6000+. The younger, while an excellent reader, just isn't all that into it, and that's OK.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby MrsVox » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:53 am

Grotewold wrote:Is it bad that my just-turned-five-year-old can only write out a few letters of his name and doesn't have interest in writing or reading?

Not at all.

But if you're concerned, there are ways to make it fun so that he can practice the fine motor skills. Our 5yo is/was like this last summer, when we got his packet of what was expected at kindergarten. I had been going through Handwriting Without Tears* (one of the ways schools teach handwriting) with him, and he was miserable and bored.

I took a page from the middle, and got some dry-erase markers, and a surface to use them on (an Avery binder with the clear plastic overlay on the outside, so you can slip paper in between. Binder turned 90 degrees to be an angled surface.). He LOVED using the markers, and starting drawing all kinds of things. Then I started putting printables under the clear sheet so that he could practice the things he was supposed to know. He still didn't learn everything in the packet, but he's doing fine in kindergarten.

BTW, at least in our school district, dry-erase stuff is big now. At least in 6th grade, the kids got new desks that they can use the dry-erase directly on. And the handwriting practice in kindergarten is all on dry-erase.

*Of course, our school is no longer using HWT, and I think the name program is FUNdamentals - the difference is whether they're learning to make letters in parts (HWT) or all in one motion. We were rec'd HWT by a physical therapist for the oldest, which is why we have it. NBD to switch.
MrsVox
Site Admin

Postby Grotewold » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 am

that's great info, thank you
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Phred wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.

I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.

If those are local BBQ and pizza joints share the names so I can try 'em.

Tony's Pizza in Matthews (NY Style) or Inizio Pizza Napoletana for pizza.

The Rock Store in Stallings for BBQ. Specifically, their chicken is amazing.

Tried Inizio today. It was okay but I much prefer Desano.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PhillieMooDo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 am

Thoughts on slim fit car seats for going from one to two kids in smaller cars? We went with the "Cadillac of car seats" for our first, and I'd like to do so again, but we just don't have the space in our vehicles.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Einstein
PhillieMooDo
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Phred » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:50 am

Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
Uncle Milty wrote:
Phred wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Lil' Vulture got a job at the local BBQ joint that's considered one of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the region. They also have fantastic home made pies.

My hope is that we will have occasional leftovers.

I have BBQ and pizza joints picked out where I want my kids to get jobs so they can learn how to make/copy their stuff.

If those are local BBQ and pizza joints share the names so I can try 'em.

Tony's Pizza in Matthews (NY Style) or Inizio Pizza Napoletana for pizza.

The Rock Store in Stallings for BBQ. Specifically, their chicken is amazing.

Tried Inizio today. It was okay but I much prefer Desano.

Never been. I'll check it out. Is that the one on 3rd Street?
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Uncle Milty » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am

There is one on 3rd but I've only visited the Waverly location.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MrsVox » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 pm

PhillieMooDo wrote:Thoughts on slim fit car seats for going from one to two kids in smaller cars? We went with the "Cadillac of car seats" for our first, and I'd like to do so again, but we just don't have the space in our vehicles.

I'd suggest that whatever you're considering, check them out in a store -- we got a small seat for the youngest that was the least expensive airline-approved model, a Graco I think. We used it as a backup in Vox's car after we took it to Disney. Biggest PITA ever to get secured, and even worse to get out. When he traded in the car, I ended up cutting the LATCH lower straps because I couldn't get the hooks unhooked.
MrsVox
Site Admin

Postby Rev_Beezer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 am

I love Timmy more than words can say. Being a father is the best part of my life at this point.

That being said, I'm pissed off at him right now because he pulled the tone arm of my record player and drug it across the platter, destroying the needle. I just bought a new cartridge, and I'll be spinning again on Saturday when it comes in.

He loves records and asks me to play one every day. We dance along to old Motown, dad rock, cheap 80's pop and singer songwriters. I think his favorite song is "Mo Money Mo Problems".

That being said, I just walked out of the room because I need to breathe. He's 21 months old. He has no clue what he did. He thinks he can touch/interact with everything, and for the most part that's true.

I'm going to have to put the damn record player up on a shelf so that he can't reach it. He's growing like a weed.
Together we will win this game against the evil Space Yankees! Eat Fresh!
Rev_Beezer
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Rev_Beezer wrote:I love Timmy more than words can say. Being a father is the best part of my life at this point.

That being said, I'm pissed off at him right now because he pulled the tone arm of my record player and drug it across the platter, destroying the needle. I just bought a new cartridge, and I'll be spinning again on Saturday when it comes in.

He loves records and asks me to play one every day. We dance along to old Motown, dad rock, cheap 80's pop and singer songwriters. I think his favorite song is "Mo Money Mo Problems".

That being said, I just walked out of the room because I need to breathe. He's 21 months old. He has no clue what he did. He thinks he can touch/interact with everything, and for the most part that's true.

I'm going to have to put the damn record player up on a shelf so that he can't reach it. He's growing like a weed.

Child proofing isn't just about protecting the child. It's about protecting your stuff.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Rev_Beezer wrote:I love Timmy more than words can say. Being a father is the best part of my life at this point.

I wish I had such problems these days
FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

I guess this is a thing, but Lil' Vulture is all worked up about bees. I think we're going to end up with a hive in our yard, and then she's going to go off to college, and under my care, the bees were most likely perish.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 pm

I really want to have bees. But I'm afraid they may be able to sense my fear. Still, I want to get them in the near future (couple years). PSU offers an online course on bees that's supposed to be pretty good. I'm going to take it before I get a hive and then do a beekeeping workshop somewhere. Then I'll just hope for the best. Each state has beekeeping clubs and courses, if you'd like to have her take a workshop or get some free hands on experience before committing.

PSU beekeeping online course. It's now $159. It used to be $75, dang it.

https://extension.psu.edu/beekeeping-101
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby TenuredVulture » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:I really want to have bees. But I'm afraid they may be able to sense my fear. Still, I want to get them in the near future (couple years). PSU offers an online course on bees that's supposed to be pretty good. I'm going to take it before I get a hive and then do a beekeeping workshop somewhere. Then I'll just hope for the best. Each state has beekeeping clubs and courses, if you'd like to have her take a workshop or get some free hands on experience before committing.

PSU beekeeping online course. It's now $159. It used to be $75, dang it.

https://extension.psu.edu/beekeeping-101

Our university continuing ed is offering a course that's $61. I guess she wants to take that course.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!