Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Re: Whaddya goin' do with these kids these days? (parenting)

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm

That sounds even better. Cheaper and hands on.

Tell her to have fun and BEE careful.

:spam2:
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Werthless » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Rev_Beezer wrote:I love Timmy more than words can say. Being a father is the best part of my life at this point.

That being said, I'm pissed off at him right now because he pulled the tone arm of my record player and drug it across the platter, destroying the needle. I just bought a new cartridge, and I'll be spinning again on Saturday when it comes in.

He loves records and asks me to play one every day. We dance along to old Motown, dad rock, cheap 80's pop and singer songwriters. I think his favorite song is "Mo Money Mo Problems".

That being said, I just walked out of the room because I need to breathe. He's 21 months old. He has no clue what he did. He thinks he can touch/interact with everything, and for the most part that's true.

I'm going to have to put the damn record player up on a shelf so that he can't reach it. He's growing like a weed.

That sucks. Silver lining... Sounds like you'll have some shared interests!
Werthless
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby thephan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:49 am

For better or worse college acceptances are coming in, and things are getting real. 2 down 3 to go. The estimates cost so far is $30K or $60K per year. No guarantee of graduation in 4 years (actually seems pretty much unlikely). Time for the go fund me page.

Upside: He's 2 for 2. Downside: He has a younger brother.
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am

WGU is only 3k every six months
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm

thephan wrote:For better or worse college acceptances are coming in, and things are getting real. 2 down 3 to go. The estimates cost so far is $30K or $60K per year. No guarantee of graduation in 4 years (actually seems pretty much unlikely). Time for the go fund me page.

Upside: He's 2 for 2. Downside: He has a younger brother.

I feel your pain. We are 3 for 3 (with two deferred from early action schools, one of which was perhaps the most half-assed college application submission in history) but we're waiting on the top choices. Two of the acceptances include pretty generous scholarships, but we're still looking at a pretty hefty bill. The third school of course is my employer, and it would be free, but she wants to go away, and they really don't have the programs she's considering.

As far as the 4 year graduation plan--while no college would guarantee it, outside of programs like architecture or pharmacy, it should at least be possible to finish in four years with a little planning. Even if the student doesn't formally have to declare a major until sophomore year, he or she should know the requirements of the potential majors and start completing them as soon as possible. Quality and availability of advising varies great from one institution to the next, or even within an institution. Graduation rates are one indicator of what's happening, but by themselves they don't tell the complete story. But if you find yourself visiting a campus with a lot of people calling themselves fifth year seniors, that might be a good reason to stay away.

There are a few things every student should do though:

1. Read the catalog carefully before classes start and note the requirements for graduation for any major being considered. Too many students expect the adviser to do this, but it's really the student's responsibility. Taking ownership of your own academic progress is really important.
2. Don't drop or fail any classes.
3. Review the college's policy on AP and concurrent (and IB) credit and take advantage of that if possible.
4. Consider summer classes--these can be done on-line, and even if the home institution doesn't offer summer classes, lots of places do and it shouldn't be too difficult to transfer credit. Lots of summer classes are on-line, and thus a student can work a summer job and take a class or two without much trouble. Depending on circumstances, this could also save money--community college courses are going to be substantially less than any four year college. (Again, something to check.)
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby thephan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 am

There is a good community college within walking distance and it does guaranteed admission to one of the dream colleges, which is super hard to get into. In fact they take more transfers then yearly admits. That would save me money, and get him into the school of choice, but sacrifice that four years college experience. Frankly I’m OK with that.

One of the big problems in Virginia for students is that we have some pretty great state schools. UVA, William and Mary, and Virginia Tech are all certainly prestigious ( you UVA guys can hang out in the corner and throw shade at Virginia Tech, all the schools produce graduates who get jobs. ). The way the state approaches things is that they allocate X number of slots per region, which makes things super competitive in Northern Virginia with our high population, our highly educated citizen, the strength the curriculum (high schools are teaching at a very high level), and our AAA+ plus personality types.

A 3.75 is not nearly enough if you are an NVA student. Routinely these kids with that GPA or better get deferred or not even into their school choice. At the same time the admissions process is more Mystic art and proprietary formulation then prescriptive. I guess it’s important to keep it that way when they say no to a kid with a high GPA and yes to a kid with a lower GPA. But there seems to be very little rhyme or reason when one kid was super good grades and a high-class ranking get to no, and another kid with good grades and average class ranking get excepted is accepted. That has already been the situation with one of my sons friends.
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Savior » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 am

Baby 2 any day now. Oh ya
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby TenuredVulture » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:04 pm

thephan wrote:
A 3.75 is not nearly enough if you are an NVA student. Routinely these kids with that GPA or better get deferred or not even into their school choice. At the same time the admissions process is more Mystic art and proprietary formulation then prescriptive. I guess it’s important to keep it that way when they say no to a kid with a high GPA and yes to a kid with a lower GPA. But there seems to be very little rhyme or reason when one kid was super good grades and a high-class ranking get to no, and another kid with good grades and average class ranking get excepted is accepted. That has already been the situation with one of my sons friends.

You've surely heard the term "holistic admissions". And yeah, it is a mysterious process. At many schools, there is a strong trend to either de-emphasize or simply not require standardized test scores. On the one hand, this makes sense, since performance on the tests has a lot to do with coaching and tutoring and there is substantial evidence that test scores do not correlate as well with college GPA as HS GPA. On the other hand, it's an objective data point, so eliminating it makes a mysterious process even more mysterious.

I don't know the particulars in Virginia, but it's also likely that those schools also reserve a number of seats for full-pay out of state students. It helps with the budget. It was interesting which out of state schools recruited Lil' Vulture--most have distressed budgets, and clearly were looking for some help with the bottom line. University of Oklahoma was especially aggressive, as was University of New Orleans. But it's unlikely those schools would've offered much aid.

It's crazy here in Arkansas--at University of Arkansas, something like half the students are from Texas. It's very tough to get into UT Austin or Texas A&M, and while Texas has plenty of other public universities, most don't have big time sports. I know Arkansas is a bottom of the barrel SEC team, but really, most fans don't seem to care much about actually winning. In fact, a bunch of the UT schools don't have football at all. UT-Dallas, with almost 30k students, is D-III with no football. So, basically, Texans are subsidizing higher ed here. Our school goes recruits heavily in small Texas towns, because even a school like UT-Tyler with almost 11,000 students might some overwhelming to a kid who graduated from a high school class with 50 students.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby PhillieMooDo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 am

The Savior wrote:Baby 2 any day now. Oh ya

Hey, me too! Congrats and good luck!!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Einstein
PhillieMooDo
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby thephan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am

PhillieMooDo wrote:
The Savior wrote:Baby 2 any day now. Oh ya

Hey, me too! Congrats and good luck!!

Good luck lads. You can see what you need to consider with TV and I at the same point of line with high school seniors. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 am

Filling out some of the "paperwork" for the more expensive university there was a somewhat immediate offer of a 25% discount in grants (merit and Eagle Scout). If that is the first offer, then it seems like there is room for more negotiation. I am viewing it as they need to be competitive with the other quality choices. The worst case scenario is that the best offer was made first. Maybe a little more expensive, but not 50% more. Now it is a waiting game until mid-March when two more report.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Shore » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 am

thephan wrote:Filling out some of the "paperwork" for the more expensive university there was a somewhat immediate offer of a 25% discount in grants (merit and Eagle Scout). If that is the first offer, then it seems like there is room for more negotiation. I am viewing it as they need to be competitive with the other quality choices. The worst case scenario is that the best offer was made first. Maybe a little more expensive, but not 50% more. Now it is a waiting game until mid-March when two more report.

Definitely work the financial aid. I may have mentioned this before, but I think a couple of phone calls and emails saved us about $60K. Long, mostly boring story, but the bottom line is we got his first choice to match another similar school, and to offer the scholarship for 5 years (he wanted to do a 4+1) instead of just 4. I can provide details if you want them, but pushing back, with documentation of the other offer(s), got us some results.

Granted, that was a small liberal arts school. My daughter is a freshman at a more "prestigious" school, and they couldn't have given less of a #$!&@ about any of her other offers. YMMV. But definitely ask for more.

Regarding 4 years graduation - I highly suggest having your kids take summer (or winter) online classes from their school, if available, for non-major classes. Gives them so much flexibility to drop a bad class later, with no repercussions. Or to only take 3 one semester when they've got their worst core classes, etc.
Trent Steele wrote:maybe the phillies can next kidnap and execute my mom in their ongoing attempt to do things that makes me want to hate them
Shore
All-Seeing, All-Knowing

Postby Phred » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am

My daughter was invited to participate in a program where she spends her junior and senior years of high school at the local community college for free instead of her school and earns college credits. This would be awesome as it would cut down on the amount of actual undergrad college credits she would need.

Unfortunately, it would put her in college classes as a 16 year old which makes her nervous. Also, she wants a traditional high school experience...friends, football games, etc.

Ce la vie.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 pm

thephan wrote:Filling out some of the "paperwork" for the more expensive university there was a somewhat immediate offer of a 25% discount in grants (merit and Eagle Scout). If that is the first offer, then it seems like there is room for more negotiation. I am viewing it as they need to be competitive with the other quality choices. The worst case scenario is that the best offer was made first. Maybe a little more expensive, but not 50% more. Now it is a waiting game until mid-March when two more report.

Schools aren't necessarily as transparent as they could be when comparing offers--they often included loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) as part of the financial aid award, as well as a campus job. Haggling is definitely a thing--in fact, Lil' Vulture was told as much by the admissions counselor at one school--she said you might be able to get another few thousand from us, but you won't get another 20k.

And yeah, there's no doubt the higher the prestige, the less they will negotiate with you.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby phatj » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Phred wrote:My daughter was invited to participate in a program where she spends her junior and senior years of high school at the local community college for free instead of her school and earns college credits. This would be awesome as it would cut down on the amount of actual undergrad college credits she would need.

Unfortunately, it would put her in college classes as a 16 year old which makes her nervous. Also, she wants a traditional high school experience...friends, football games, etc.

Ce la vie.

C'est la vie
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby Bucky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 am

that's life! (that's just the way it goes!)
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Phred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

phatj wrote:
Phred wrote:My daughter was invited to participate in a program where she spends her junior and senior years of high school at the local community college for free instead of her school and earns college credits. This would be awesome as it would cut down on the amount of actual undergrad college credits she would need.

Ce la vie.

C'est la vie

Dammit! I even Googled the phrase before posting.

Oh well. C'est la vie.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Uncle Milty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am

Kay Sara Sara
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:53 pm

My wife suggested sending our five-year-old to a free bible camp Jesus Adventure type thing, one week of mornings this summer.

I have reservations, but also free is me
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Savior » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Grotewold wrote:My wife suggested sending our five-year-old to a free bible camp Jesus Adventure type thing, one week of mornings this summer.

I have reservations, but also free is me

If you have reservations what else do you need? A confirmation?
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!