2018 Procrastinator's Tax Thread

Re: 2018 Procrastinator's Tax Thread

Postby lethal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 am

Bill McNeal wrote:Well, filed my taxes and for the third straight year I’m getting over $10k back. The IRS has told me for the last three years that I’m not withholding enough and forces me to have a 0 withholding status :|

I've never understood this.
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

Postby JUburton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:20 am

The accountant said that local taxes are complicated and sometimes you can get a refund and sometimes you cant even though I think it's crystal #$!&@ clear that I owe 0.5% in the township where I work.

Also my federal/state tax money werent withdrawn from my checking account yesterday. I know federal was a bit #$!&@ up but I'm not sure why my PA money wasn't taken. I have got the worst #$!&@ accountant.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am

i agree with that last sentence
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am

Bill McNeal wrote:Well, filed my taxes and for the third straight year I’m getting over $10k back. The IRS has told me for the last three years that I’m not withholding enough and forces me to have a 0 withholding status :|

Your company is not doing something right. Unless you have some really complex tax situation going on you should never have that big of a refund let alone 3 years in a row. Do you work with an accountant, they should be able to find the problem.

That's a lot of money to let them have and you are missing out on potentially hundreds of dollars of interest if you had that money in savings.
Last edited by heyeaglefn on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby lethal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 am

Local taxes are not complex unless you know nothing about them and have done no research for your client who you took on knowing this would be an issue and did not build it into your fee structure.
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

Postby JUburton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 am

lethal wrote:Local taxes are not complex unless you know nothing about them and have done no research for your client who you took on knowing this would be an issue and did not build it into your fee structure.
This is an excerpt of the first email I sent:

My payroll provider made mistakes with my local taxes last year, paying them to the city of Philadelphia and not withholding for East Whiteland Township for the month of December. Thus, I need to get a refund from Philadelphia and pay the extra East Whiteland taxes that were not withheld.

I have two standard W2s (from two payroll providers) and a 1099 B and 1099DIV. I believe it would be best for me to take the standard deduction as I am a single renter (non homeowner) so that is what I typically do.
I suppose I didn't put my home address/locality but that came later. And I didn't expressly say that I've never lived or work in Philadelphia but I explained that later. Where I live I pay 0% residential EIT and my employer's township has a 0.5% rate on gross income.

Doesn't seem that hard!
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:16 am

Yep, PA ACT 32 makes things really simple. Here's the standard local form (non-Philadelphia division):

https://www.hab-inc.com/wp-content/uplo ... CEDFPM.pdf

Although I'm not sure if E. Whiteland contracts with Berkheimer, the ACT32 form is the same within the entire state (in fact my H&R Block software even printed one identical to this, which I had to convert to a JPG to upload to Berkheimer). You see line 12 is where you deduct for credit to tax paid to Philadelphia (although you probably shouldn't do that in this scenario since you're trying to get that back), but theoretically you could just take the credit (based on the documentation you currently have in hand) and not owe anything (and probably even get a little refund).

Not sure about Philadelphia, but it's probably a bit of a hassle to get a refund, but should be doable without an accountant.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 am

and actually the philly form seems pretty simple also.

https://beta.phila.gov/media/2018011714 ... V2.pdf.pdf
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JUburton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah I have no idea what the right way to go about the Philly part is because my petition isn't 'income based' it's 'philadelphia living or working income based'.

But maybe that form works. The accountant said they'd do the petition.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 am

yes it is, the tax withheld was 'income based'. just fill in one column of the table. All zeroes except for 1, 7, 8.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JUburton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 am

Hmm, yeah. Maybe I'll just do it myself since this accountant doesn't seem very timely. The worst part is I have to do this #$!&@ again next year because one paycheck this year had this issue. Depending on how painful this whole process is I'm going to see if my employer will just refund me the Philly tax withheld and tell them they can deal with it on my behalf if they want. I assume they'll just give up the pittance.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bill McNeal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am

heyeaglefn wrote:

Your company is not doing something right. Unless you have some really complex tax situation going on you should never have that big of a refund let alone 3 years in a row. Do you work with an accountant, they should be able to find the problem.

That's a lot of money to let them have and you are missing out on potentially hundreds of dollars of interest if you had that money in savings.

My tax situation is pretty simple, w-2, typical deductions (mortgage, charity, childcare, etc.) I've always just done my own, because it is so freaking simple, I never saw the need to pay someone $250 or w/e to do something I can do my self with a $9 piece of software in an hour. If they do it again in 2018, I will go to an accountant though, it's getting #$!&@ absurd at this point. I switched jobs this year and so far my withholding has been normal and it hasn't been challenged, so we'll see what happens.
man I drew all these penises for nothing - housh
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

how was it challenged? Every year H&R block software tells me I need to have more withheld, and I get a little bill from the IRS for penalties, but no enforcement was ever forced.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bill McNeal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:59 am

I got a letter in 2014 or 2015 from the IRS that said I wasn't withholding enough money from my paycheck and that I needed to provide proof that I was or they were going to force me to 0 withholding for three years. every year since 2009, I've received a refund of at least $1,000, so I figured it had to be some kind of mistake and I could call them and talk through it. So I called and they just kept saying that "our records indicate you are not withholding enough money" and I said I got a refund! and they said, even though I had a refund I still was not withholding enough and I would need to provide proof I was. So I faxed my my previous years returns, showing like $1500 in refund along with paystubs, and didn't hear anything by the deadline in the original letter, then one day my paycheck was way short and they had contacted my employer and made them change my withholding to 0. I was pissed and called the IRS, but they told me there was nothing they could do. After the first $10k refund, I called and said "see! this is way too much withholding" they told me that I had to wait 3 years for it to pass in order to change it. So this is year three, I'm hoping they release this BS hold.

Someone else on here went through something similar, Shore I think it was, and basically you are just #$!&@ if they think this.
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:21 pm

so when you changed jobs did the 0 follow you?
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Bucky wrote:so when you changed jobs did the 0 follow you?

Maybe the zero was inside him all along.
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:51 pm

maybe when club promoting season is over threecount can lend you a hand.
ReadingPhilly
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Bill McNeal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Bucky wrote:so when you changed jobs did the 0 follow you?

So far, no. I've had regular deductions for 2018, so I'm hoping that's the end of it.
Bill McNeal
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Savior » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:31 am

I continue to be perplexed by this. Year after year.
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior

Postby JUburton » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:33 am

My tax people got back to me today...............................

with some other company's quarterly philadelphia wage form including all of their employees and their SSNs. Good work guys!
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!