If it was supposed to be fun, the wouldn't call it WORK

Re: If it was supposed to be fun, the wouldn't call it WORK

Postby TenuredVulture » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 pm

PrattRules wrote:
Grotewold wrote:
Bucky wrote:and by 'logistics' you specifically mean 'menu'

yeah we have no idea if it's brown bag or catered or what. guess we would be notified of the former

but also are we all going to be eating, all except for the candidate? or is he/she going to be chowing down in between questions

In college, me and three other candidates sat through a full day of interviews with various supervisors. they took us all out to lunch and someone ordered a burger and fries, eating everything with a knife and fork. I was embarrassed for him.

We had a candidate eat barbecue witba knice and fork, and I'm not saying it was the maon reason we didnt hire him...
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 pm

What kind? Feel like plenty of BBQ meats need a fork
CalvinBall

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 am

My school has this thing where you are supposed to pair with another teacher to do professional development, class observations, and general support. I woman on my grade team asked me to be her partner and I accepted because I didn't really know anyone and she's been nice to me with the adjustment to the new school, etc. I knew she was a bit of a boat rocker and they saw her as very critical, but I didn't think that would spill out onto me. In the last 3 weeks she's sent 3 different emails to administrators asking for things in not so nice ways and making it sound like they aren't being supportive and/or not doing their jobs. She's included my name in each of the emails as some sort of support for her positions. I never gave her permission to do so and I don't even really support her position in 2/3 of the cases. For example, the school will often say we should try this or that technology thing, but they don't provide funding for the real versions. Instead, we are supposed to try the free versions and they wait to see if there's interest before the pay for it. There's never interest in paying for them because we are using the crappy free versions and people don't want to learn new technology that will never be implemented in a meaningful way. I personally think they should choose a few willing teachers to trial the pay versions and see which technologies work best, but it doesn't affect me enough to care much either way and I certainly don't want my name on an email supporting her rude accusations of lack of support. On the other hand, I work with this woman closely and more than any other person, so I don't want to tick her off, particularly since she's well connected to the head of school and the people who have been here from the beginning. I know I'm going to have to say something to her, but I really shouldn't have to. What the hell is wrong with people? Why would she include my name in an email like that without asking me first? Ugh.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:56 pm

One of our VP candidates is younger than me, which is a little depressing
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PrattRules » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Monkeyboy wrote:My school has this thing where you are supposed to pair with another teacher to do professional development, class observations, and general support. I woman on my grade team asked me to be her partner and I accepted because I didn't really know anyone and she's been nice to me with the adjustment to the new school, etc. I knew she was a bit of a boat rocker and they saw her as very critical, but I didn't think that would spill out onto me. In the last 3 weeks she's sent 3 different emails to administrators asking for things in not so nice ways and making it sound like they aren't being supportive and/or not doing their jobs. She's included my name in each of the emails as some sort of support for her positions. I never gave her permission to do so and I don't even really support her position in 2/3 of the cases. For example, the school will often say we should try this or that technology thing, but they don't provide funding for the real versions. Instead, we are supposed to try the free versions and they wait to see if there's interest before the pay for it. There's never interest in paying for them because we are using the crappy free versions and people don't want to learn new technology that will never be implemented in a meaningful way. I personally think they should choose a few willing teachers to trial the pay versions and see which technologies work best, but it doesn't affect me enough to care much either way and I certainly don't want my name on an email supporting her rude accusations of lack of support. On the other hand, I work with this woman closely and more than any other person, so I don't want to tick her off, particularly since she's well connected to the head of school and the people who have been here from the beginning. I know I'm going to have to say something to her, but I really shouldn't have to. What the hell is wrong with people? Why would she include my name in an email like that without asking me first? Ugh.

I don't know. I think you're #$!&@. You made your bed when you said "yes."
"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza
PrattRules
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:11 am

Just had the worst work-related experience of my life. They called an emergency meeting to tell us that one of the teaching assistants had died. She's like 25 y.o. and has a young boy and infant girl. She lives right next to us in the dorm with her husband and our kids play together. I'm worried it was suicide because she's so young and I heard she was having some post pregnancy emotional issues. Absolutely devastating meeting. Half the room was sobbing. Got into an elevator with like 8 people afterwards and it was stone silent. I feel like I'm going to vomit.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:25 am

That is horrible.
CalvinBall

Postby Bucky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:32 am

ugh
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am

Just devastating. No word for sure about what happened, but without going into details, it seems like there was a lot going on in the household, a lot of stress. I'm still hoping it wasn't suicide because of the additional weight that will mean her kids will have to carry with them, but I fear that's what happened. The husband took the older child to school and she gave the little one to her mom for the day and then she called off work. She showed up for an exercise class last night for the first time in months, which could have been her opportunity to say goodbye. Or maybe she was feeling a bit better. People often commit suicide when they are on their way out of a depression because they finally have the energy to act on their impulse.

That's probably all I'll say about the situation unless something crazy develops. No sense rehashing a tragedy like this. The fact that she left two young kids, regardless of how or why it happened, has really gotten to me. Having two young ones of my own around the same age really hits home.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JUburton » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am

#$!&@. That's so awful.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Titlehungry » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm sorry man... that's terrible
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Bucky » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 am

Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby momadance » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 pm

That place is a dump. No matter who's owned it. One time when I was there for happy hour a funeral rolled in ... Casket and all.
Titlehungry wrote:Nice celebration... whole team peed on the fans in honor or Tate's acquisition
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby momadance » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:52 pm

The state tells me I have to file my weekly unemployment claims on Saturdays. Thanks a lot.

The system is presently unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please try again at a later time.
Titlehungry wrote:Nice celebration... whole team peed on the fans in honor or Tate's acquisition
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:00 pm

I can’t even get a legal job where the main purpose is to deal with the commonwealth department I currently work for. That’s disheartening.

Oh well, time to keep applying to places.
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby slugsrbad » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Anyone ever respond to the rejection asking for an explanation of a genetic “keep me in mind.” I usually just take the loss but this one is sticking with me.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

Postby Bucky » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:08 pm

somehow my milestone 14th work anniversary went viral on linkedin. i have no idea how. i've gotten at least 20 congratulatory messages. i have no idea how that happened
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Bucky wrote:somehow my milestone 14th work anniversary went viral on linkedin. i have no idea how. i've gotten at least 20 congratulatory messages. i have no idea how that happened

LinkedIn sends emails saying X is celebrating Y work anniversary congratulate them!

slugsrbad

Postby Titlehungry » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Playing Russian Roulette with the bad weather today heading to Baltimore... we are allowed to leave early since our program is closed but have to use PTO... trying to balance leaving early with not using as much PTO
Titlehungry
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:39 pm

slugsrbad wrote:Anyone ever respond to the rejection asking for an explanation of a genetic “keep me in mind.” I usually just take the loss but this one is sticking with me.

I have
CalvinBall

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!