TV Party Tonight (We've got nothing better to do)

TV Party Tonight (We've got nothing better to do)

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:47 pm

I don't think anyone else started a new thread, and peak-peak was at 51 pages.

So, I've binged watched the first 6 episodes of the second season of Mrs. Maisel. My review--it's not as strong as the first season. (I loved the first season.) Less happens, and there doesn't seem to be as much energy. The plot points are (at least at this point) more or less episodic-they don't seem really connected to each other. And it's less about someone trying to break into the word of stand up comedy and more about being a young divorcee in the late 50s.

It's still enjoyable, and it definitely picked up at episode 5.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Re: TV Party Tonight (We've got nothing better to do)

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm

I thought Killing Eve started out like gangbusters but got really quite stupid down the stretch. wish I could find the feminist masterpiece everyone is talking about
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Love the thread title. Might just have a couple of brews.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby heyeaglefn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:I thought Killing Eve started out like gangbusters but got really quite stupid down the stretch. wish I could find the feminist masterpiece everyone is talking about

Don't see how season 2 will work.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PTOITWCFTPP » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Homecoming was fine. The “shot” in episode 8 was really cool.

Worked well as a half hour drama. No need to drag it out
“I don’t coach losers, I only coach winners.” Mike Krzyzewski

"This is a normal collar. Move on. Find a new slant."
PTOITWCFTPP

Postby Uncle Milty » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Trying out Hulu I picked Mary Kills People. Don't know if I'm supposed to but enjoying it 2 episodes in
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:00 am

PTOITWCFTPP wrote:Homecoming was fine. The “shot” in episode 8 was really cool.

Worked well as a half hour drama. No need to drag it out

I’d recommend listening to the first season of the pod first

-pod person
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 am

Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm

that on Stitcher?
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:13 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:I don't think anyone else started a new thread, and peak-peak was at 51 pages.

So, I've binged watched the first 6 episodes of the second season of Mrs. Maisel. My review--it's not as strong as the first season. (I loved the first season.) Less happens, and there doesn't seem to be as much energy. The plot points are (at least at this point) more or less episodic-they don't seem really connected to each other. And it's less about someone trying to break into the word of stand up comedy and more about being a young divorcee in the late 50s.

It's still enjoyable, and it definitely picked up at episode 5.

Only watched episode one of season two, and that's always a bad way to judge since they have to pick up all the threads of the first season to get people oriented. But that sounds right. It's literally all over the place and seems much more fantastic than the first season. Not that the first was cinema verite, but the switchboard sequence is played just for choreography, and the flight to France of course has the wife after three days immersed in an artist's colony with a little dog and every other stereotype. Plus despite all the exposition I still have no idea or memory why the agent has been abducted by the equally cliche thug brothers. But I'll give it a few more chances.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby momadance » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:Trying out Hulu I picked Mary Kills People. Don't know if I'm supposed to but enjoying it 2 episodes in

The Looming Tower was pretty good.
Titlehungry wrote:Nice celebration... whole team peed on the fans in honor or Tate's acquisition
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 am

Emily Nussbaum hates Mrs. Maisel. Can't say her criticisms are wrong, just that, in the first season at least, there were plenty of other pleasures to be had that overcame objections.

Feel like mostly that she feels she was late to the party, but that's probably because I don't like most of her criticism.
Last edited by swishnicholson on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ashton » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 am

At this point I think we have to accept that Mrs. Maisel isn't going to be realistic. Considering that my other favorite current shows are The Good Place and Bojak Horseman that shouldn't be a problem for me.
ashton
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby TenuredVulture » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 am

I don't know if the issue is realism. It's that there really is no dramatic tension.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
If we think about the foils of the show--Joel, Abe, Sophie, etc--they just come around to Midge's perspective, for no real reason. There are really never any consequences to anything--divorce, hiding a stand up career from your family, making a wildly inappropriate toast at a friend's wedding--nothing really seems to matter. Get bumped to the last time slot in telethon, when nobody is watching, but look--it's great! And now there's a tour! There's a minor scene where Midge and Susie are on tour and a license plate falls off the car. And nothing happens! I suppose there was a scene where they were pulled over and sweet talk their way out of the situation, but it must have been cut. So we're left with something that is emblematic of the second season--make mistakes, don't pay for them. Actually, Joel's story arc with his family business is more interesting than Midge's inexorable rise in the world of stand up.

You can do fantasy, but there still has to be some dramatic conflict that needs to be overcome--even something as silly as Elf manages to do this. Heck, at least in the first season she spent some time in jail and confronted judges and stuff. And she gets black balled. But now, all obstacles are magically cleared. It's not that it's not believable, it's that it's not interesting.

It's a shame because on many levels the show is fun and entertaining. The actors are quite good, as is the overall production. I hope the third season keeps the promise of the first season. I mean, we don't need The Wire or anything. But show business and stand up are tough businesses, and there's got to be a price to pay. Heck, at least we can get a scene where Midge can't get child care and has to take her kids to the club.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby joe table » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 am

If you haven’t watched the Patriot, watch it. Sort of like preacher, another current show I like, the main character is not the real star / most compelling character and the cast is carried by great supporting characters. Namely his brother and the lead character’s “best friend” from the engineering firm but many other good characters (drug addict chief of engineering firm, the father (John Locke from lost), etc). It’s at times hilarious, frequently surreal and sometimes extremely dark (the portrayal of his work-caused exhaustion in s2 was scarily relatable). Well written and directed, though I don’t love the song bits
joe table
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby JUburton » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am

swishnicholson wrote:Emily Nussbaum hates Mrs. Maisel. Can't say her criticisms are wrong, just that, in the first season at least, there were plenty of other pleasures to be had that overcame objections.

Feel like mostly that she feels she was late to the party, but that's probably because I don't like most of her criticism.
Late to the party how? She watched S1 when it was out and S2 now.

I have to say I think she's spot on and I'm glad that some people love the show but for me it's Emmy-baity, annoyingly snappy (Sorkin-esque is absolutely correct), and just too...manufactured? I think she's very charming and I like Tony Shaloub and Lenny Bruce (whatever his name is from Rectify). I just couldn't get into the whole thing and I thought I was the only one so it's good to see at least one critic say something similar.
JUburton
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:10 pm

JUburton wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Emily Nussbaum hates Mrs. Maisel. Can't say her criticisms are wrong, just that, in the first season at least, there were plenty of other pleasures to be had that overcame objections.

Late to the party how? She watched S1 when it was out and S2 now.

I have to say I think she's spot on and I'm glad that some people love the show but for me it's Emmy-baity, annoyingly snappy (Sorkin-esque is absolutely correct), and just too...manufactured? I think she's very charming and I like Tony Shaloub and Lenny Bruce (whatever his name is from Rectify). I just couldn't get into the whole thing and I thought I was the only one so it's good to see at least one critic say something similar.

Late to the party simply in that (as she talks about in her review) this show is so completely up her alley as the sort that she tends to champion, but before she could everyone else was lavishing praise on it. What tends to annoy me in her her criticism is that the personal and political seem to take precedence over the artistic worth of the show, and so it wouldn't surprise me if there was an internal backlash that everyone was telling her she HAD to like this show. That's probably me being personal and political, though.

As I say, I think a lot of it's spot on and bothered me the first season, but the production values and the acting were able to overcome those things and it was generally enjoyable, though I admit I wouldn't have likely stuck with it if my viewing companion hadn't. I'm with you that Sorkin-esque is more an epithet than a compliment-the glibness just gets to me.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby my cousin mose » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:34 pm

swishnicholson wrote:Love the thread title. Might just have a couple of brews.
You merely adopted your mothers basement, I was born there - MoBettle
my cousin mose
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Phred » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 am

I started watching Future Man on Hulu. I don't know what I was expecting but this ain't it. Really funny stuff.
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby swishnicholson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Uncle Milty wrote:Trying out Hulu I picked Mary Kills People. Don't know if I'm supposed to but enjoying it 2 episodes in

Does she kill Eve?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Next

Return to Here We Go Again!