Politics: 2 All Beef Patties, Shutdown on a Bob Mueller Bun

Re: Politics: 2 All Beef Patties, Shutdown on a Bob Mueller

Postby momadance » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Titlehungry wrote:Nice celebration... whole team peed on the fans in honor or Tate's acquisition
momadance
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Roger Dorn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Doug Jones and Manchin will vote to confirm Barr.
Do you think April is too early for a Roger Dorn night?
Roger Dorn
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby 06hawkalum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Mark Kelly has launched a Senatorial campaign:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/12/politi ... cnn.com%2F
06hawkalum
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Uncle Milty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 pm

06hawkalum wrote:Mark Kelly has launched

well done
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm

trump says rep omar should resign
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 pm

also mitch says the senate will vote on the green new deal. he just loves playing politics with every vote that is about government.
CalvinBall

Postby Squire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm

:spam:
CalvinBall wrote:also mitch says the senate will vote on the green new deal. he just loves playing politics with every vote that is about government.

How can you vote on something that isn't in legislative form?
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby CalvinBall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Squire wrote::spam:
CalvinBall wrote:also mitch says the senate will vote on the green new deal. he just loves playing politics with every vote that is about government.

How can you vote on something that isn't in legislative form?

yeah idk what he even means. i guess whenever they get a bill together?
CalvinBall

Postby thephan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm

NickSixers wrote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump declared on Tuesday that he was “not happy” about the bipartisan border security compromise negotiated by congressional leaders but would not say whether he would sign it or veto it before another government shutdown hits at midnight Friday.

Him vetoing and causing another shutdown would be amazing.

Don't worry about it, he got out in front of that by saying that it will be the Democrats Shutdown!

~moronic~
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 pm

“A young man who’s got very little going for himself, except he’s got a great first name. … He challenged us,” Trump said at the Monday night rally, going on to falsely characterize the number of people in the audience. “So we have, let’s say, 35,000 people tonight. And he has 200 people, 300 people. Not too good.”

I am pretty sure that the max capacity of the arena Trump was in was 6,000. Nothing like being off by ~500%.
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:55 pm

the owner of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is very very angry
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby traderdave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm

thephan wrote:
“A young man who’s got very little going for himself, except he’s got a great first name. … He challenged us,” Trump said at the Monday night rally, going on to falsely characterize the number of people in the audience. “So we have, let’s say, 35,000 people tonight. And he has 200 people, 300 people. Not too good.”

I am pretty sure that the max capacity of the arena Trump was in was 6,000. Nothing like being off by ~500%.

Here is part of a write-up by Cillizza (just in case, the quoted portion is our moron president; the italics are Cillizza's commentary):

"If you would say, as an example, that tonight 69,000 people signed up to be here -- now the arena holds 8,000. And thank you, fire department. They got in about 10,000."

This, from the El Paso Times, serves as a tidy fact check: "A Fire Department spokesman said 6,500 people were inside the venue and denied any special accommodations were made." The story also says that "thousands" of people were outside, but refrained from any official estimate. Crowd size is, of course, a dumb measure of, well, anything. But Trump cares deeply -- and exaggerates heavily -- about it.

"But if you want to really see something, go outside. Tens of thousands of people are watching screens outside. Tens of thousands."

Enrique Aguilar, a public information official with the El Paso fire department, said there might have been 10,000 total people at the Trump rally. That would mean about 6,500 inside and another 3,500 outside. Which is slightly short of "tens of thousands."

"A young man who's got very little going for himself, except he's got a great first name. He has -- he challenged us, so we have let's say 35,000 people tonight and he has 200 people, 300 people. Not too good."

OK, so Trump likes the name "Beto." That's about all that's true in this line though. Law enforcement officials that the Dallas Morning News spoke to estimated that 7,500 people participated in the "March for Truth" that O'Rourke appeared at. Which is more than 300. By a lot.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby swishnicholson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:12 am

JFLNYC wrote:What is your antecedent for “that?”

I'm going to guess his "that" is Omar's actual tweet. I'm not a big fan of hers, and she's certainly still learning how to communicate. But pointing out that lobbying money influences political stances is not by nature anti-Semitic, simply because in this case it refers to Israel. She's certainly still learning that many people's knee-jerk response is to look for offense, and that others are guided by their innate prejudices to actually see it.

Maybe she is anti-Semitic. I certainly don't know enough about her to say. But the specific statement is not, and the immediate labeling of it as such as disheartening, as it will have a chilling effect on actual discussion of remedying what anyone would agree is the appalling, untenable status quo in the Middle East.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:09 am

swishnicholson wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:What is your antecedent for “that?”

I'm going to guess his "that" is Omar's actual tweet. I'm not a big fan of hers, and she's certainly still learning how to communicate. But pointing out that lobbying money influences political stances is not by nature anti-Semitic, simply because in this case it refers to Israel. She's certainly still learning that many people's knee-jerk response is to look for offense, and that others are guided by their innate prejudices to actually see it.

Maybe she is anti-Semitic. I certainly don't know enough about her to say. But the specific statement is not, and the immediate labeling of it as such as disheartening, as it will have a chilling effect on actual discussion of remedying what anyone would agree is the appalling, untenable status quo in the Middle East.

And maybe she was guided by her innate prejudices to say it in the first place. It’s disingenuous to suggest she just happened to chose to inveigh against the evils of political contributions in US politics generally. She chose to criticize a group made up largely of Jews supporting the Jewish State. She’s not a Palestinian ambassador, she’s a Representative in the US Congress.

And, of course, it’s not the first time she’s chosen to criticize Jews. She’s previously opined that Israel had “hypnotized” the world, “phrasing that also recalled old canards about occult Jewish power,” in the words of yesterday’s NYT, “...the idea of Jews as global puppet masters, using their financial savvy to make the gentiles do their bidding.”

And, of course, Omar has apologized for her remarks. In doing so she is either being sincere and contrite or politically cynical. If she’s being sincere then she herself believes her words were wrong.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Israel and AIPAC. Lazily pulling anti-Semitic tropes from the playbook of “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” doesn’t qualify. It has about the same intellectual integrity and decency as Trump’s comments on Mexicans when he started his campaign in 2016.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 am

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Israel and AIPAC.

such as?
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 am

Gefilte fish, for one
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:29 am

pacino wrote:

such as?

We live in a world where Jews and Blacks are still gunned down in their places of worship by anti-semites and racists. Please don’t turn this into a juvenile game of gotcha. You’re better than that.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby traderdave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am

It is hilarious watching/listening to/reading the conservative media twisting themselves into pretzels to call the funding deal a win for Trump.
traderdave
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby thephan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am

I cannot get this graphic to play nice and resize with BBCode or HTML, and I do not have the time to play much at the moment: https://cdn.howmuch.net/articles/jobs-c ... t-c75d.jpg
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

JFLNYC wrote:
pacino wrote:

such as?

We live in a world where Jews and Blacks are still gunned down in their places of worship by anti-semites and racists. Please don’t turn this into a juvenile game of gotcha. You’re better than that.

I'd like to know what legitimate criticisms there are.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Here We Go Again!